ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

permanent residency

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

CB16
Newly Registered

permanent residency

Post by CB16 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:45 pm

hi there

i wonder if someone can help me please!

i would like to get permanent residence here in uk. i'm italian and have been here over 10 years, in order to give a British passport/and or/ citizenship to my new born child i need to officially settle here.

do i need to take life in uk test before applying to permanent residence? the form i'm thinking of applying is this one: "Application for a document certifying permanent residence or permanent residence card under the EEA Regulations"

please help.
thank you.

noajthan

Re: permanent residency

Post by noajthan » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:16 pm

CB16 wrote:hi there

i wonder if someone can help me please!

i would like to get permanent residence here in uk. i'm italian and have been here over 10 years, in order to give a British passport/and or/ citizenship to my new born child i need to officially settle here.

do i need to take life in uk test before applying to permanent residence? the form i'm thinking of applying is this one: "Application for a document certifying permanent residence or permanent residence card under the EEA Regulations"

please help.
thank you.
LITUK is not required to apply for confirmation of PR.

That is the form (although you don't actually have to use the latest, 'monster' form).

The main thing is to show you have acquired PR by exercising treaty rights as a qualified person over a continuous 5 year period.

Do you think you have done this?
- what is your timeline of activity in UK?

And where/when was child born?
What is status of other parent?
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

CB16
Newly Registered

Post by CB16 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:40 pm

hi

thank you so much!!!

I have been working all these years paying national insurance etc but not earning huge amounts in the past 2-3 years, earning good amount previous to these... do i need to get my accountant to prepare this information? what is the name of this info, as like, there is a form for that?

which form should i apply then if not the 'monster' one of 85pages!!??

I REALLY FORGOT TO MENTION ONE IMPORTANT THING: I'm at moment receiving maternity allowance, due to finish in June/July. Do I need to wait to apply to PR card, or can I apply now while on break from work? I will go back to work after maternity allowance finish. I'm self employed and have been like this in the past 3 years, previous to that I was employed.

to confirm, once i get the official 'permanent residence status', can my son have a British passport and citizenship? if yes, so then, which are my steps and form to fill? my son was born here in uk, 22nd oct.

The father of the child lives in america and he is not on the birth certificate.

i so much appreciate all your help!

thank you!!!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:01 pm

CB16 wrote:hi

thank you so much!!!

I have been working all these years paying national insurance etc but not earning huge amounts in the past 2-3 years, earning good amount previous to these...

do i need to get my accountant to prepare this information? what is the name of this info, as like, there is a form for that?

which form should i apply then if not the 'monster' one of 85pages!!??

to confirm, once i get the official 'permanent residence status', can my son have a British passport and citizenship? if yes, so then, which are my steps and form to fill? my son was born here in uk, 22nd oct.

The father of the child lives in america and he is not on the birth certificate.

i so much appreciate all your help!

thank you!!!
You can use this previous form if you wish:
https://portal.mpsv.cz/eures/podminky/b ... /eea31.pdf

:!: You will have to add in the biometrics page from the current form and pay the current fee.

You should be able to prepare this yourself if organised and methodical;
just follow the current guidance notes for PR, from Gov UK website.

If you can prove you had settled status before your child was born you can apply for child's passport directly.
See https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... plications

If you only acquired PR after child was born then once you have a PR card you can apply to register child under section 1(3) of BNA; use form MN1.
It doesn't matter about father for such cases, one setled parent is enough.
(Strictly speaking you don't even need PR card for this purpose but its easier to prove your status if you do have one - and you will need it later anyway if you have ambitions for citizenship).
If you have to follow this path the passport application is a separate process after the registration.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:41 pm

CB16 wrote:I REALLY FORGOT TO MENTION ONE IMPORTANT THING: I'm at moment receiving maternity allowance, due to finish in June/July. Do I need to wait to apply to PR card, or can I apply now while on break from work? I will go back to work after maternity allowance finish. I'm self employed and have been like this in the past 3 years, previous to that I was employed.
You can apply now. If you have kept the records, it will be simplest to demonstrate a continuous period of 5 or more years in which you were employed. I believe P60 (and possibly P45) will be the simplest documents to use; you should not need to involve your accountant. (I haven't studied the form, so I don't know what more detailed evidence they may want - payslips would be good.)
CB16 wrote:to confirm, once i get the official 'permanent residence status', can my son have a British passport and citizenship? if yes, so then, which are my steps and form to fill? my son was born here in uk, 22nd oct.
Formal confirmation of permanent residence status officially changes nothing, but it may make matters easier in 30 years time if the passport office comes to believe they may have made a mistake in granting your son a British passport. Unfortunately, I can't comment on how difficult it will be to get your son a British passport.

If you achieved permanent residence before your son was born, and he was born in the UK (which you don't seem to have confirmed), then he is already British.
CB16 wrote:The father of the child lives in america and he is not on the birth certificate.
Not everyone has a tidy life. If for example, you had married someone and he was still alive and you were not divorced from him, then for the purposes of automatic British nationality, this man would legally be the father of your son.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:24 am

OP really needs to post a timeline including birth of child so we can determine if she had PR before or not.

As said above, if you had permanent residence status at the time the child was born, it will automatically be a British citizen. You can apply for a passport.

If you did not have PR status when the child was born, it will not be British but it will have an immediate entitlement to register as a British citizen once you do. For this you use form MN1 and apply under section 1(3). As long as the requirements are met, the application cannot be refused.

Having a PR card has no actual bearing on when you acquired PR, it is merely a confirmation of the status (which is acquired automatically).