ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Returning on expired EEA FP (boarding a flight?)

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

matchstickman
Newly Registered

Returning on expired EEA FP (boarding a flight?)

Post by matchstickman » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:34 pm

Hi all,

Been following the boards for a while now, but this is my first post as I've hit a confusing problem! Thanks for all the help so far.

Irish man, Australian wife, wife entered UK in May 2015 on EEA FP. Application for RC currently with the HO. Recently requested and received passports back for travel purposes.

We are travelling back to Ireland in two weeks for a one-week holiday. We have been silly, as it has slipped our minds that her EEA FP is now expired. Currently we have a train and ferry booked outbound, and Ryanair flight booked back to the UK. I'm not overly concerned about the trip to Ireland, and don't foresee any issues with immigration there. However, when we come back, I am worried that we will not be allowed to board our flight due to to the airline visa check before departure.

The HO have told me that I can report to UKBA at the airport after landing in the UK to get an EEA FP on the spot. We will have our passports, COA and marriage certificate so this sounds ok. However getting to the UK is the problem! Ideally we would get her a FP to cover travel over the next six months. We also have Ryanair flights booked for a weekend trip to Ireland in two months so would be useful to have it sorted for then.

So I think our choices are:

1. Turn up for flight and probably get refused boarding. Have tried contacting the airline, but no real help.

2. Cancel flight and return on the Dublin to Holyhead ferry (however maybe still get checked and refused? Also get the impression that we may not be able to find UKBA officers at Holyhead to issue her with a FP, so same problem next time).

3. Apply through EEA FP priority service in Ireland, attend interview and she waits for passport to be returned with visa before flying back to UK to rejoin me. Expensive but seems to be the "correct" way to do it.

If anyone has any advice or similar experiences it would be hugely appreciated to hear from you. This holiday is turning into a headache :-)

sandy88

Re: Returning on expired EEA FP (boarding a flight?)

Post by sandy88 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:09 pm

hi mate,

As far as i know Australian citizens can travel to the UK and Ireland without visa for 3 months. As she is your family member you can explain this to the immigration officer with evidence and she will be granted entry.
All the best

sandy88

Post by sandy88 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:11 pm

hi mate,

As far as i know Australian citizens can travel to the UK and Ireland without visa for 3-6 months. As she is your family member you can explain this to the immigration officer with evidence and she will be granted entry.
All the best

matchstickman
Newly Registered

Post by matchstickman » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:36 pm

Thank you sandy, yes I've looked into that so it might be an option for us. Thanks for your reply.

cafeconleche

Post by cafeconleche » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:48 pm

Nothing to worry about. There aren't immigration controls anyway between the two countries. Secondly, as an Australian passport holder, the visa check is a non-issue, as no visa is required (as far as Ryanair is concerned, she could be going for a visit). Finally, the FP is only there to facilitate entry from OUTSIDE the CTA, so it's unnecessary, though if she wants one, she can find immigration at Stansted and get a stamp.

matchstickman
Newly Registered

Post by matchstickman » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:55 pm

Thanks a million for your reply cafeconleche, much appreciated :-)