ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU National to marry girlfriend from the Philippines

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

aguilera1970
Newly Registered

EU National to marry girlfriend from the Philippines

Post by aguilera1970 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:27 pm

Hello,

I am from Spain and have been in the UK since October last year. I am self employed and obviously don't need any visas. I've decided to settle down in the UK.
My girlfriend is from the Philippines and works a domestic worker for a UK family that is her sponsor.
I want to marry her and do all the paperwork so she is not tight to this family anymore and we can finally live together.
What are my options? What is the procedure to marry here and what has to be done afterwards?
I would appreciate all the help you could give me since immigration laws are different here than in Spain. Also she can not travel to Spain due to her special visa so all the paperwork and everything has to be done here in the UK.

Thanks.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Re: EU National to marry girlfriend from the Philippines

Post by Richard W » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:03 am

You haven't said which country you live in! Scotland has its own laws in these matters, and Northern Ireland isn't a perfect copy of England.

If you live in England or Wales, you need to give at least 28 days notice at a designated register office. You might find your marriage being delayed if a marriage of convenience is suspected. If you have never been married before, I believe you only need to take your passports with you to the register office, though your girlfriend should probably ensure she has her visa or residence card with her. If you've previously been married, evidence of death or divorce will be required. For a religious marriage, you should also discuss possibilities with your priest.

After the marriage, your wife can then apply for a residence card (form EEA(FM) if you want to make the Home Office happy).

aguilera1970
Newly Registered

Post by aguilera1970 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:27 pm

Sorry about that, I am currently living in England.
I've been told that we could get married even if she was illegally in the UK, is that true?

Thanks again

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:39 pm

aguilera1970 wrote:Sorry about that, I am currently living in England.
I've been told that we could get married even if she was illegally in the UK, is that true?

Thanks again
Intention to marry has to be registered with a Home Office designated Registry Office.

Registrar is legally bound to notify the Home Office, who can then extend the notification period from 28 to 70 days in order to interview both parties (if they choose to do so), before the wedding can take place.
If one party is 'illegal' one could imagine the interview would be compulsory.

Why is gf illegal if she has a work-related visa?
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

aguilera1970
Newly Registered

Post by aguilera1970 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:47 pm

Her visa is linked to her sponsor.
If she leaves the house I guess she will lose the visa...

sandy88

Post by sandy88 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:41 pm

if your girl friend leaves the family of course she looses her rights as that family is obliged to let the home office know that they are not her sponsor anymore then she will be issued a curtailment letter. But again, why she is in a hurry before get sorting out everything such as marriage etc.... if she can wait this much time, why cant she wait a bit more .... think twice