ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Confused?Can 10-yr long stay apply ILR in person at Croydon?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nyrnu
Newly Registered

Post by nyrnu » Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:19 am

Its arguable issue.
Last edited by nyrnu on Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:08 pm

nyrnu wrote:The answer is yes. Sorry I didn't get Kayalami's advice after I carefully evaluated all the potential pros and cons factors.

8) - congratulations..Croydon continue to surprise. Would appreciate info on:

1. What the caseworkers on the ground floor/ reception said in relation to submission of an in person Set (O) in the Long Residence Category.
2. Which floor you got sent to.
3. Your appointment time and passport pick up
4. Questions by the considering caseworker (in particular regarding the 9 day visa gap) and whether this was referred to a more senior caseworker.
5. Your bank balance - (if u don't mind)
6. Whether you took in copies of the regulations you mention i.e. Ordinary Residence etc.

Many thanks - K

nyrnu
Newly Registered

Post by nyrnu » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:09 am

Again, well-prepared documents and think of any questions they might ask can minimum your risk.

Hope my experience is helpful for someone else.
Last edited by nyrnu on Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aboudi

Post by aboudi » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:02 pm

Congratulations!!! :D your experiance is music to my ears!!!! it makes me much more confidant and comfortable about the future!! well done and good luck! :wink:

penanglad

Post by penanglad » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:16 pm

Since I have learnt a lot from this forum, I thought I would share my experience applying for ILR on the 10-year rule.

Got an appointment for 1000, was told to come half an hour earlier but only actually turned up at 0940. Went to the counter on the first floor to get my appointment ticket. The officer there checked my passports, and initially there was some confusion because he saw that I had been on a work permit for only two years, but then I told him that I was applying on the basis of the 10-year concession. He asked me to confirm that I had been living continuously in the UK for the past ten years. I said yes, apart from short absences.

Paid on the first floor, and then went to the second floor for the appointment. Within ten minutes my number was called. The officer looked at my Malaysian passports covering the 10 years, and took about 20 minutes checking my leave to remain stamps and typing on the computer.

During the past ten years I have had a lot of short absences - usually two months in the summer holidays and one month at Christmas. Plus I had two absences over three months - the first was when I graduated and went back to apply for a working holidaymaker visa (3 months) and second when I finished my graduate studies and went to China for a language course (4-5 months). As Malaysians did not until recently require entry clearance for study or work in the UK, most of the absences were not covered by any leave to enter. The officer only mentioned the 4/5-month absence, and said this might be a problem. I told him that I was on a foreign language course sponsored by my UK employer, which was true, and he went to check with his supervisor. This turned out ok, so he said I should come back in two hours (1230) to collect my passport. Easy as that! I brought lots of documents to prove all sorts of things, bank statements, degree certificates, letters from my employer, proof of accomodation, etc. but all he asked for were my passports. However, it is always best to come overprepared, as you never know what they might ask for.

By the way, if you want to know what the Home Office know about you, write to them for a subject data access request under the Data Protection Act. It costs £10, but it is surprising how much info is written on your entry cards each time you enter the UK! I got a binder full of copies of my entry cards, Home Office letters, data about my entry and exits (when they still had exit controls) etc.

I imagine they must have gone through my form in detail then, because up to that point no-one went through my form. Came back at 1230, and after 10-15 minutes was called to the counter to collect my passport with the ILR stamp.

I think when dealing with immigration officers an important thing is to be polite and show you can speak English! Saying good morning at the beginning is a good way of showing both, and helps to engage with the officer as a human being.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:26 pm

That is great news Penanglad! Congratulations. A very useful post.

I think you were very wise taking all that documentation with you. After all you are paying extra for that same-day service and the last thing anyone wants is to be told that some pieces of paper are missing. Far better to take too much evidence rather than too little.

Congratulations again! Naturalisation in a year's time? Does Malaysia allow dual nationality?
John

penanglad

Post by penanglad » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:36 pm

Thanks. Malaysia doesn't allow its citizens to actively claim dual nationality, so I won't be applying for naturalisation/registration. I am already a British Overseas Citizen (CUKC by descent), so I don't really have to worry too much about ILR expiring (para. 17 of the Rules).

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:29 pm

nyrnu wrote: 1. Can my child now register for British Citizen? or need to wait for my naturalisation 1 yr later and enclosed with my application?
How old is she?

If your daughter is born in the UK she can be registered as a British citizen now, on the basis of you having ILR.

Otherwise she is going to need to be registered at the same time you naturalise, or naturalise independently if aged 18 or over at the time.
Last edited by JAJ on Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stedman

Post by stedman » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:32 pm

Penanglad and nyrnu - your posts have been really helpful. I know I can check this up but I just wondered what the cost difference was between a postal application and an in person one. I'm eligible to apply for ILR under the 10 year concession in april and I'd like to do it in person as I'm going on my honeymoon outside the UK shortly after and may need my passport to make short-notice trips.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:52 pm

Stedman, the cost of applying for ILR will be £335 by post, or £500 in person at a PEO.

You mention about the honeymoon. When does your current visa expire? That is, is it absolutely necessary for you to get your ILR at soon as the 10 years are up (or in the 28 days days before that)? If your current visa will expire roundabout the time of the honeymoon, well clearly the answer is yes. But if not why not just wait until you get back from the honeymoon and apply for ILR then?
John

penanglad

Post by penanglad » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:02 am

I think the in-person service is well worth the extra cost. The last thing you want is to pay the £335 and wait for months and months to find out your application is rejected because of some misunderstanding by the officer that you could have explained or some concern that you could have dealt with if you had been there. The appointment procedure is now quite fast.

stedman

Post by stedman » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:36 pm

Thanks John and Penanglad.
John wrote:You mention about the honeymoon. When does your current visa expire? That is, is it absolutely necessary for you to get your ILR at soon as the 10 years are up (or in the 28 days days before that)? If your current visa will expire roundabout the time of the honeymoon, well clearly the answer is yes. But if not why not just wait until you get back from the honeymoon and apply for ILR then?
It's not absolutely neccessary - I have an HSMP visa that expires in 2008. However I really need my passport on my person later on this year as I may need to make short trips to Europe from late spring onwards and the thought of sending my passport away for goodness knows how long is enough to put me off doing it - so I want to do it this spring and be done with it as between mid march and early may I won't be going anywhere.

saurya_s

Post by saurya_s » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:32 am

penanglad wrote:
By the way, if you want to know what the Home Office know about you, write to them for a subject data access request under the Data Protection Act. It costs �10, but it is surprising how much info is written on your entry cards each time you enter the UK! I got a binder full of copies of my entry cards, Home Office letters, data about my entry and exits (when they still had exit controls) etc.
Can you please tell us how do you do this?

Many thanks

Prashanth_yadav

Please respond very urgent

Post by Prashanth_yadav » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:02 pm

Hi all,

I was issued HSMP visa on Feb 7 2008, and I have come to UK on May 24 2008 and am here since then.

I am due to apply for my extension, which would be till Feb6 2013. My question is, I would be short of two/three months to apply for ILR when my visa expires.

Do, I need to apply for another extension or is there any other way around.

Your help is much appreciated guys.

Many thanks.