ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Rented property new legislation

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ASIF82

Rented property new legislation

Post by ASIF82 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:07 pm

HI All, I am not sure if this is the right forum but this seemed to be a little relevant for non immigration queries?

I am on Indefinite and my wife is my dependent.
My Letting Agent recently asked me to provide the copies of my passport & VISA for myself &wife. I am living in this property for last 3 years and had already provided payslips, references, credit check in the beginning. I have also enclosed the relevant link from gov.uk site. I have all proper documentation but I am always hesitant to give that much personal details to someone due to Identity Theft Issues. Can anyone please tell me what my options are, I am happy to provide him HO case reference numbers and show him my BRP & Passport in person but not let him copy it.
Your response will be highly appreciated.
https://www.gov.uk/private-renting/document-checks
Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Rented property new legislation

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:08 pm

You are required to provide evidence of your proof of legal status/visa in the UK and your passport. It is standard. If you don't, you can probably expect a Section 21 eviction coming your way as your landlord facing a fine of thousands of pounds if he cannot verify your status and provide proof of it.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:53 pm

Look at it from your landlord's position. If he is asked by the HO for proof that he has seen your documents proving legal residence, how will he do so without providing them with a copy of your BRP & passport? :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

ASIF82

Post by ASIF82 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:36 pm

Hi, thanks for your response guys. My only concern will be that all these small Letting agents won't be having means for protecting all your personal information?

This is the only risk I see sharing too much information with anyone.

Regards

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:41 pm

ASIF82 wrote:Hi, thanks for your response guys. My only concern will be that all these small Letting agents won't be having means for protecting all your personal information?

Regards
That's the price paid for using a small letting agent. Landlords still have to comply with the law and act as proxy immigration officials on behalf of HO.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:05 pm

ASIF82 wrote:Hi, thanks for your response guys. My only concern will be that all these small Letting agents won't be having means for protecting all your personal information?

Regards
So presumably the 'small letting agent' (who operate under a code of conduct too), would have done your credit check, looked at your payslips and bank statements, loads of information on there already.

Trust me, you do not want to go through a Section 21 Eviction (It is not very nice at all) and court process because you are too scared to just submit your identity documents and proof of visas as per government guidelines and rules for landlords.

It doesn't matter where or who you rent from, this documentation will be required.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

t123456789

Post by t123456789 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:33 pm

I'm pretty sure letting agents and landlords aren't happy doing the UKVIs job either. But from the link you provided it clearly states:
What your landlord must do
make copies of your documents and keep them until you leave the property
From the list of documents you must provide:

As an ILR holder you must provide 1 document from List 1 of A or 2 documents from List 2 of A. Because you only have ILR, that effectively means your BRP.

Your wife must produce 1 document from B, which will have to be her BRP.

On the plus side, if someone is going to try steal personal data, they'll do it from a larger company because there is more data available. Who is going to try steal everything from a company nobody knows about, maybe only an unhappy employee.

If you're worried about identity theft sign up at have i been pwned. It's a free service run by a well known security expert and will send you an email if your data is stolen online.

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:36 am

The checks only need to be done for new tenants, but I suppose they are just covering their backs anyways.
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.