ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Apply to join family living permanently in the UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

stig2k16
Newly Registered

Apply to join family living permanently in the UK

Post by stig2k16 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:25 am

Hi,

A brief summary of our situation:
My partner and I currently live in Australia and are looking at some point to move back to the UK. She is an Australian Citizen and I am both UK and Aussie. We don't have any time frames of which we are moving back but would be good to start the ball rolling.

I presume the relevant visa for her would be the 'Apply to join a family living permanently in the UK'?

I suppose my questions are:
Is this the correct visa?
If its approved do we have to move to the UK in a certain time frame before the visa expires?
I also see financial requirements which seem fairly complicated to follow.

Many thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Apply to join family living permanently in the UK

Post by Casa » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:58 am

Yes, that's the correct application. The first probationary visa is issued for 33 months and in order to renew again before the end of the visa (with an additional visa fee), you would have to enter the UK within 3 months. The route to permanent settlement (ILR) is now 5 years, divided into two periods of 2.5 + 2.5 years requiring a visa application again at the second stage - FLR(M).

The financial rules are complicated, but in your case this is what you will need to show: Either
1. Earnings of the equivalent of £18,600 in Australia for the last 6 months prior to submitting the application (these can be joint) and a confirmed job offer in the UK for you to start within 3 months of arriving in the UK, again earning £18,600 per annum (your earnings only as sponsor).
Or
2. You relocate to the UK alone and once you've been employed earning £18,600 for 6 months, apply for your wife to join you.
Or
2. Savings of £62,500

At present, I believe that Australian nationals are exempt the new NHS Surcharge at present, which would normally be £600 to cover the first 33 month period. You can see the information here:
https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigrati ... n/overview
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

stig2k16
Newly Registered

Post by stig2k16 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:43 am

Hi Casa,

Thanks for your prompt and detailed report.

Can I ask about the entry into the UK within 3 months. Do you mean if we were awarded the visa in for example in August of this year we would have to enter before October of this year?

Many thanks

Stephen

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:47 am

stig2k16 wrote:Hi Casa,

Thanks for your prompt and detailed report.

Can I ask about the entry into the UK within 3 months. Do you mean if we were awarded the visa in for example in August of this year we would have to enter before October of this year?

Many thanks

Stephen
You don't HAVE to, but it would mean having to apply for another extension to make up the five years before ILR, so an extra grand plus IHS surcharge...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:54 am

Well to extend to make up the shortfall it would an extra £649 + £500 NHS surcharge or as Wanderer says £1,049 + surcharge if applied for in person.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

stig2k16
Newly Registered

Partner visa

Post by stig2k16 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:35 am

Hi,

I am a UK citizen currently living in Sydney with my fiance who is Australia.

We are looking to move back to the UK at some point but sure when. We fully understand the pre-requirements for the visa application.

The one question I have:
If the visa application is approved. How long does it last for before we have to move to the UK to take up the visa? Example: Visa approved June 2016, but due to unknown reasons we can't move back for say 2 years, is this possible?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Stephen

stig2k16
Newly Registered

PLAB test

Post by stig2k16 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:43 am

Hi all,

I am have completed my medicine degree in Sydney. I am now in my completing my intern and residency years.

I am looking to join my partner (UK citizen) after completing my residency. The visa for joining my partner will not be a problem and this will be accepted.

What I am asking is with reference to the PLAB test. I have now read the information on the GMC website multiple times around the PLAB tests. One point that is mentioned is EC exempt. If I am allowed to live and work in the UK due to my partner visa then does this remove the need to do the PLAB test (ie EC exempt).

Many thanks for your assistance in advance.

Cheers

Stephen

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: PLAB test

Post by Greenie » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:57 am

You are only exempt if your partner is exercising treaty rights (eg working) in another EU state where you are both living and you are returning to the UK from there. if are currently in Australia and your partner is in the UK you won't qualify.

are you and your partner married?