ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spousal Visa Rejection on 281(i) and 320(11) Overstay

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

MikeKorea
Newly Registered

Spousal Visa Rejection on 281(i) and 320(11) Overstay

Post by MikeKorea » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:56 am

I've only found this forum recently, but noted from the comments here that in the last few months, that there have been cases reported of Entry Clearance Officers (ECOs) using Section 320(11) of the Immigration Rules to reject the visa application of partners wishing to enter the UK to reside with a British citizen. I'm posting the recent experiences of my wife and myself in order to add another case to this list rather than solicit any particular advice, though if anyone has comments about the issues raised here I will be more than interested to read them.

Last year I left the UK with my Korean girlfriend of seven years, who had overstayed on her visa for three of those years. We got married in South Korea and six months later she applied for a spousal entry visa in order to return with me to reside in the UK. This application was rejected by the ECO under Section 320(11), because of the previous overstay, and Section 281(i) of the Immigration Rules, on the grounds that having been out of the UK for nine months I was not 'present and settled'.

I was rather perturbed to find that my nine months absence from home prejudiced my wife's return, as it seemed to make me a second-class citizen, legally speaking. However, in preparing an appeal I discovered the Diplomatic Services Procedures - Entry Clearance Volume 1 (28/09/2006), which in Section 13.7 provides direction to ECOs in interpreting 'present and settled':

Strictly speaking, a British Citizen who has been resident abroad but who returns to the United Kingdom to live is not 'admitted for settlement'. However, if he or she expresses the intention of returning to the United Kingdom to reside, you can regard him/her as present and settled there.

As such, it appeared that the ECO misdirected herself in denying the application under 281(i). My wife had mentioned in her interview that I was planning to sell my house when I returned to the UK, and the ECO had used this in her decision as 'evidence' that I was not intending to stay in the UK, whereas I would argue that all it proves is that I was planning to move within the UK, which is in fact the truth - although I would also say that establishing the truth is something that the ECO wasn't interested in from the beginning, given her line of questioning and, from how my wife described the interview to me immediately afterwards, hostile attitude. In fact, I'm a little curious as to why we would spend a non-refundable £500 on a spousal-entry visa if we weren't planning to return to live when it would have been far cheaper - and perhaps easier - to apply for a shorter-term visa.

The issue with the house sale, and other peripheral matters raised, seemed consistent with an ECO determined to build a case on increasing levels of supposition, but it went further than this. I requested - and eventually obtained - the ECO's Interview Record for my wife, and it was an interesting read. Not only were there contradictory statements of fact by the ECO within that document, these carried over into the Notice of Immigration Decision such that statements made in the Decision were not consistent with what had been documented in the Interview Record.

I didn't really think the ECO's decision stood up to much scrutiny, and neither did my MP who wrote to the Embassy in support of my case. I've had a couple of bad experiences with lawyers in the past, and between this and the £2,000 to £3,000 minimum quotes I was given for preparing and submitting an appeal, I decided to do it myself. I thought 281(i) was very weak and we had good grounds for appealing it, and I made sure that I made a point of stating that it was my intention to return to reside in the UK as part of this.

We never heard from the Embassy again. As I understand the process the Entry Clearance Manager can overturn the original decision, but when I received a date for an Asylums and Immigration Tribunal (AIT) Hearing back in the UK I realised that this stage of the appeal must have failed.

In the matter of Section 320(11) my wife was not in receipt of public funds or support during her overstay, nor did she work illegally, or receive any correspondence or directives from the authorities in this matter and fail to comply with them. Even so, if her overstay alone were sufficient reason to refuse a spousal entry visa then it seems curious that the ECO should feel it necessary to find other rules to justify a visa rejection, particularly when this seems inconsistent with official guidelines and when so much is built purely on the ECO's supposition. On the other hand, if Section 320(11) can not be used to prevent spousal entry it means our case rests of 281(i), the inherent weakness of which I thought should have seen it fall at the first challenge.

The experience has been an extremely bitter one for me. I feel the Government reduced my rights as a British citizen because I spent nine months out of the country, but what stings the most is what the ECO wrote in in the conclusion of her decision:

I have also taken account of the provisions of Article 8 of the Human Rights Act. I consider that refusing this application is justified and proportionate in the exercise of the immigration control. I note that refusing this application will not interfere with family life, for the purposes of Aritcle 8 (1), which you can enjoy in Korea.

I appreciate this is a fairly standard closing statement, but it seems an odd interpretation of the European Convention on Human Rights that a British citizen should find themselves effectively excluded from residing in the UK by virtue of the permanent exclusion of their wife. It seems quite clear that the Government are telling me that if I want to enjoy my 'family life', it will have to be in Korea and not in the UK. I don't know what other people would call that, but to me it seems like I've been effectively exiled.

Right now I'm facing the AIT Hearing in a few weeks and trying to decide whether I can afford to spend those thousands of pounds for the lawyers to take over and represent us at the Hearing. Otherwise it's going to be me versus the Government lawyers, a bit of a David and Goliath battle, and I'm beginning to think very negatively about the chances of winning. My wife overstayed once in the UK, but I don't think that justifies the ECO to behave the way she has done and present the case the way she has, I don't think it justifies the infringements of my rights or my effective exclusion from my own country for the foreseeable future, but my guess is that someone, somewhere, has made a decision to make life very difficult for previous overstayers, and we've become victims of this.

Because 281(i) as applied in our case seems to be little more than a smokescreen, I believe the motivation behind my wife's visa refusal is really 320(11). As such, I would agree with those here who believe the denial of spousal entry visas for previous overstayers has become Government policy. I've wondered whether this policy has been initiated by politicians or civil servants, because I've been holding out some hope that my MP may still be able to do something even at this late stage, which seems more likely if this decision hasn't come down from the political hierarchy. However, recent political changes and reshuffles in the UK seems to fit with the harsher treatment people are now reporting on these forums, so I wonder whether it is political rather than bureaucratic in origin and unlikely to be easily challenged.

Mike

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:44 pm

Not all lawyers will cost you thousands of pounds!

If you would like representation, then please do contact me, or else look on www.oisc.gov.uk I really do think that having representation would be a good idea.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

paulp
Diamond Member

Re: Spousal Visa Rejection on 281(i) and 320(11) Overstay

Post by paulp » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:32 pm

MikeKorea wrote:I appreciate this is a fairly standard closing statement, but it seems an odd interpretation of the European Convention on Human Rights that a British citizen should find themselves effectively excluded from residing in the UK by virtue of the permanent exclusion of their wife. It seems quite clear that the Government are telling me that if I want to enjoy my 'family life', it will have to be in Korea and not in the UK. I don't know what other people would call that, but to me it seems like I've been effectively exiled.
Mike
The HO is saying that you have a right to a family life and you have a right to be in the UK but not both at the same time.

tinux

Post by tinux » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:05 am

Your case sounds strong. the HO will not bring the issue of overstaying in court.
Good luck

as to the human right article . sadly it only applies to you as an EU citizan but not to a non EU person . they can agrue that your family life will not be afected if you decide not to live in the Uk. in other words they are saying to you try the other 22 EU countries or korea sick if u ask me

MikeKorea
Newly Registered

Post by MikeKorea » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:56 am

Thank you for the replies. Tinux - or anyone else with experience - I was curious as to why you thought the Home Office wouldn't bring up the issue of overstaying in an AIT Hearing? It seems odd that the ECOs would be instructed - presumably by someone ultimately in the Home Office - to start using 320(11) more heavy-handedly, if their lawyers were simultaneously avoiding citing this in Hearings.

I appreciate the lawyers I've mentioned may be expensive. I contacted a number of law firms in preparing for the appeal but most of them didn't get back to me, and the two that did were suggested to me as among the best in the immigration area, so it's not entirely surprising.

Not having done anything like this before I had no idea what the going rates were, so if figures of around £3,000 sound very high to people here I might have another look at this. As people might understand though, I was thinking that if 320(11) was grounds enough for losing at an AIT Hearing, I'd better get the best lawyers I could. I don't think 281(i) is very strong at all and if the case just stands on this then maybe I don't need such expensive representation.

Mike

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:43 am

MikeKorea wrote:Thank you for the replies. Tinux - or anyone else with experience - I was curious as to why you thought the Home Office wouldn't bring up the issue of overstaying in an AIT Hearing? It seems odd that the ECOs would be instructed - presumably by someone ultimately in the Home Office - to start using 320(11) more heavy-handedly, if their lawyers were simultaneously avoiding citing this in Hearings.

I appreciate the lawyers I've mentioned may be expensive. I contacted a number of law firms in preparing for the appeal but most of them didn't get back to me, and the two that did were suggested to me as among the best in the immigration area, so it's not entirely surprising.

Not having done anything like this before I had no idea what the going rates were, so if figures of around £3,000 sound very high to people here I might have another look at this. As people might understand though, I was thinking that if 320(11) was grounds enough for losing at an AIT Hearing, I'd better get the best lawyers I could. I don't think 281(i) is very strong at all and if the case just stands on this then maybe I don't need such expensive representation.

Mike
(Just my observations from this board...)If you do a search on this board, you'll notice that some people have received rejections for spousal visa applications...and only in the past month. This is quite surprising for some of us, as in the past, most people were able to successfully apply for visas despite overstaying. Now we're reading people's rejections (more and more) based on this fact, so it seems like the HO are becoming more heavy-handed with overstayers. I don't know whether or not these people have appealed, so it's hard to find out what the AIT judgements will be for yourself.

Of course, this isn't to suggest that the HO didn't refuse on this basis in the past; but it seems that maybe there's been a policy shift or something.

Maybe ask victoria or avjones, or anyone else who works in this field, what is happening and what is the outlook if you do appeal.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:56 pm

tinux wrote:Your case sounds strong. the HO will not bring the issue of overstaying in court.
Why do you say this? If the ECO has listed this as a reason for refusal then it will be addressed in court.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

tinux

Post by tinux » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:13 pm

VictoriaS wrote:
tinux wrote:Your case sounds strong. the HO will not bring the issue of overstaying in court.
Why do you say this? If the ECO has listed this as a reason for refusal then it will be addressed in court.

Victoria
First of all
I made a mistake thinking it was 3 months but have realised it was 3 years. so that is not minor
secondly. according to this
ATTACHED TO PREVIOUS STAY
Whether or not a passenger satisfies the formal requirements of
another paragraph of the Rules, under Paragraph 320(11) his previous
immigration history may be taken into account. Refusal under this
paragraph is appropriate where a person has shown by his previous
conduct that he has contrived in a significant way to frustrate the
purpose of the Rules. It is not intended that this paragraph should be
used in a punitive manner, and the immigration officer should not seek
to rely on, for example, a minor period of overstaying as a sole
ground for refusal.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
it should not be a way to punish the applicant since the purpose of it is to settle in the Uk . there was no criminal behavious etc..
however

It really depends what the reason for the overstay was.

A settlement application is considered under the relevant paragraphs of the immigration rules which do not contain a clause saying that an adverse immigration history should result in the visa being refused. However, if the overstay was for financial reasons; e.g. she was working and didn't want to stop, the visa officer may deduce from this that the motive for returning to the UK is to resume employment under the guise of settling with the spouse and that the relationship is, therefore, not genuine.
or
the visa officer may deduce that her relationship with the spouse is just a front to enable her to remain in the UK. On the other hand, there is no reason why she shouldn't get the visa if she can substantiate the relationship

i say he needs an expert . i would never advice anyone to appeal alone . it is risky

http://www.londonelegance.com/transpond ... ay-1.shtml

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:54 pm

And once again I must point out that IDI's are not binding. The ECO's have recently been refusing because of overstays, and until they get to appeal and a possible JR we won't know whether or not these refusals can be upheld.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

chrissy

Post by chrissy » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:47 pm

Hi

This topic of increased spouse visa refusals has really got me shaken!! I am in the same situation and have been putting off putting the in application since June, to tie up some things, and now this??

Amanda, Victoria, anyone...could you tell me what the appeal procedure is? And whether or not you would be able to help us if we get rejected. Also how do we get in touch?

Thank you.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:23 pm

At the bottom of their posts, they have buttons for email and pm (personal message).

chrissy

Post by chrissy » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:53 pm

:oops: Thanks paulp