ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling post-ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

fkheng
Newly Registered

Travelling post-ILR

Post by fkheng » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:44 pm

Hi there

A relative of mine has recently obtained British citizenship. But does not have the time to apply for a British passport and will be travelling on a non-UK passport on business trip.

As I understand the ILR will no longer be valid now that he has citizenship, will this present any problems when trying to return back into the UK from his business trip?

As he will be travelling with a non-UK passport, will he need to carry his citizenship papers to prove he is a citizen at immigration?

How will this work? I understand that he will need to apply for a right of abode visa for his non-UK passport but this can take up to 6 months which is why he cannot wait for this.

Thank you.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Travelling post-ILR

Post by Wanderer » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:50 pm

fkheng wrote:Hi there

A relative of mine has recently obtained British citizenship. But does not have the time to apply for a British passport and will be travelling on a non-UK passport on business trip.

As I understand the ILR will no longer be valid now that he has citizenship, will this present any problems when trying to return back into the UK from his business trip?

As he will be travelling with a non-UK passport, will he need to carry his citizenship papers to prove he is a citizen at immigration?

How will this work? I understand that he will need to apply for a right of abode visa for his non-UK passport but this can take up to 6 months which is why he cannot wait for this.

Thank you.
When did he obtain Citizenship? Recently the law has changed and you need to return the ILR BRP card within 5 days or face a £1000 fine.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

JohnnyZee

Post by JohnnyZee » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:14 pm

fkheng
Newly Registered

Post by fkheng » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:45 pm

I just checked with him - he was naturalised in October 2015. He is not aware of the rule changes. Will he need to surrender his ILR card?

Do you know the answer to my questions? Can he still travel back in the country on a non-UK passport and what additional documents will he need?

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:41 am

fkheng wrote:I just checked with him - he was naturalised in October 2015. He is not aware of the rule changes. Will he need to surrender his ILR card?
Not until he's asked to.
fkheng wrote:Do you know the answer to my questions? Can he still travel back in the country on a non-UK passport and what additional documents will he need?
He can probably get back to a British airport. He'd only have a problem if his card has been cancelled and the airline have a way of finding out.

Getting through British Immigration is a potential problem. October 2015 is very close to when the cancellation of BRPs began, and the Immigration Officer will be alerted if it has been cancelled. He might be let through after being lectured about getting a British passport, but he should carry a copy of his naturalisation certificate or the certificate itself. If he just carries a copy, he may need a way for the original to be brought to the airport. I wouldn't carry the certificate with me, but the decision is up to him.