ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kankerot
United Kingdom

UK Passport

Post by kankerot » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:08 pm

So I have applied for my wife naturalisation but I didnt apply for the passport as well as I thought that was a separate application.

So when I apply for her UK passport will she need to send in her documents or can she do a check and send at the post office? I do not like the idea of sending off her US passport it's why we went through NCS.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: UK Passport

Post by Casa » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:26 pm

Some Councils are now offering a joint BC/passport application under a trial basis. Use Post Office check and send service. Your wife will have to attend an interview before the passport is issued.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:32 pm

As you have already applied, you have no choice really. You could have used a NCS that offered the joint form AN and passport application service.

She can use check and send but she still has to send her original passport and original naturalisation certificate.

Edit :#casa :wink:
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kankerot
United Kingdom

Post by kankerot » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:21 am

Why does she need to send in her US passport? What relevance does that have?

What is the point of the interview? Just collecting extra info for the government? The NCS I went to never once mentioned about passport application.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:06 am

It is the process. You need to send the passport as proof of identity and any checks they do. The interview is to confirm that you are the person you say you are on the form and the questions are generally only about things the applicant will know mostly based on what she completed on the form and naturalisation form.

Not all NCS offices offer the joint application scheme.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:39 am

All uncancelled passports (even expired ones) must be sent with the passport application. The Home Office have a policy on identity fraud and want to make sure that the name on the British passport is identical to that on any other passport that the person holds.

If you have not already applied for a British passport, you may wish to look at applying for a CoE-RoA in the US passport.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

kankerot
United Kingdom

Post by kankerot » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:12 pm

CR001 wrote:It is the process. You need to send the passport as proof of identity and any checks they do. The interview is to confirm that you are the person you say you are on the form and the questions are generally only about things the applicant will know mostly based on what she completed on the form and naturalisation form.

Not all NCS offices offer the joint application scheme.
Once she has her naturalisation certificate will she be able to use that at UK passport control as she can travel on her US passport.

What is the point of the check and send service if you have to still send in your US passport. What happens if you have lost your old passports and only have a current one.

It has nothing to do with ID fraud more they want a list of all the places you have been.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:22 pm

kankerot wrote:...

Once she has her naturalisation certificate will she be able to use that at UK passport control as she can travel on her US passport.

What is the point of the check and send service if you have to still send in your US passport. What happens if you have lost your old passports and only have a current one.

It has nothing to do with ID fraud more they want a list of all the places you have been.
HMPO is hyper-sensitive about a person's identity and the risk of creating multiple identities.

A British passport is optional and is a privilege not a right.
if you don't want to comply with the procedures to obtain a passport (submit uncancelled foreign passport/s including expired ones; attend interview) then don't apply for one.
Apply for ROA instead.

Check&Send is simply a sanity check & a convenience it is not an extension of HMPO. It is HMPO who grants or denies the passport not the post office clerk.
If you have lost a passport you have to explain that. Losing a passport is not a sensible way of hiding your passport.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

JohnnyZee

Post by JohnnyZee » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:29 pm

I think you can get away with not sending expired passports. I only sent my current foreign passport and had no issues with HMPO. Besides, my expired passports have their ends on the cover cut off. That means, they are cancelled. All the best.

kankerot
United Kingdom

Post by kankerot » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:33 pm

JohnnyZee wrote:I think you can get away with not sending expired passports. I only sent my current foreign passport and had no issues with HMPO. Besides, my expired passports have their ends on the cover cut off. That means, they are cancelled. All the best.
So the US passport has holes punched into it which is the equivalent of the ends cut off so it is a cancelled passport?

JohnnyZee

Post by JohnnyZee » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:37 pm

Kankerot - I believe the holes punched indicate it has been cancelled. Anyway, why are we speculating? Why don't you just apply for the British passport by only supplying your current US passport? If HMPO need anything else, they will come back to you.

kankerot
United Kingdom

Post by kankerot » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:44 pm

JohnnyZee wrote:Kankerot - I believe the holes punched indicate it has been cancelled. Anyway, why are we speculating? Why don't you just apply for the British passport by only supplying your current US passport? If HMPO need anything else, they will come back to you.
Just waiting for the outcome of the naturalisation application. So will need to send that in with her US passport and then attend the interview. Would have done it all at once if I knew the NCS we were going to provided this service. Sorting out the passport is just another hassle when we want to plan a few trips.

My wife has been present in the UK since 2007 married to me since 2006 and had ILR since 2009, the reason we are finally applying for UK citizenship even though we could have years back is she want to vote and vote a certain current government out come the next elections and the prices seem to keep on rising for no apparent reason.