ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BC ceremony at different council

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

t1guk
Newly Registered

BC ceremony at different council

Post by t1guk » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:34 am

Hi,
Is it possible to do the ceremony at another council quicker? Have been given a wait of 8 weeks for the ceremony while I have seen people get it done within a week. Would like to apply for passport since travel is on the way. HO approval was quicker!

Private ceremony cost is closer to £350 so we have ruled it out.

Thanks!

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: BC ceremony at different council

Post by Casa » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:54 am

t1guk wrote:Hi,
Is it possible to do the ceremony at another council quicker? Have been given a wait of 8 weeks for the ceremony while I have seen people get it done within a week. Would like to apply for passport since travel is on the way. HO approval was quicker!

Private ceremony cost is closer to £350 so we have ruled it out.

Thanks!
The current nominated Council would have to write to the other Council to formally arrange a transfer. This in itself would take time.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

t1guk
Newly Registered

Post by t1guk » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:14 am

Thanks for replying.

Those are exactly my thoughts. It would've been better if I could just take the approval letter and go to any council and they could verify it and give me an appointment. The councils seem to favour private ceremonies since this is a revenue generation stream in this era of austerity.

If anyone has managed to do change councils for the ceremony, I'd love to read what you did to get this done sooner.

JohnnyZee

Post by JohnnyZee » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:24 pm

I think this transfer will take even longer. The naturalisation certificate is physically in your nominated council. If you ask for it to be moved, I believe it is sent back to Home Office who in turn forward it to the new council. And during this process, you have no way of tracking what is going on.

If I were you, I would stick to current council. Ask them when they have ceremonies even if they are fully booked. Try calling them a day before a scheduled ceremony. You may get lucky and get a cancellation. All the best.