ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NCS Applications fast tracked?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kankerot
United Kingdom

NCS Applications fast tracked?

Post by kankerot » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:32 pm

Just wondering whether NCS applications are fast tracked due to the NCS office doing a pre screening, sure they wont check HMRC records or benefits claims or is there any real benefit other than keeping hold of your documents?

The HO must trust the NCS enough to accept they have checked the authenticity of documents provided and then made copies of them to send with the application.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: NCS Applications fast tracked?

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:38 pm

kankerot wrote:Just wondering whether NCS applications are fast tracked due to the NCS office doing a pre screening, sure they wont check HMRC records or benefits claims or is there any real benefit other than keeping hold of your documents? No, they are not 'fast tracked'. NCS are not HO employees. HO will still do ALL the necessary checks and take as long as is necessary. NCS is a third party/agent in the process. The biggest benefit of using NCS is the retention or original documents.

The HO must trust the NCS enough to accept they have checked the authenticity of documents provided and then made copies of them to send with the application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:44 pm

The purpose of using NCS is that you are able to keep your original documents, and they check your application is completed correctly.

They specifically state NCS is not a fast track service, nor do they guarantee your application will be successful.

kankerot
United Kingdom

For BC Naturalisations is the ILR checked again?

Post by kankerot » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:59 am

For BC applications if you met ILR rules back in 09 are they checked again for a BC application?

tripping

Post by tripping » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:40 am

kankerot wrote:For BC applications if you met ILR rules back in 09 are they checked again for a BC application?
Very possible however you have to bear in mind the BC requirements are different to ILR requirements (eg good character requirement, new English qualification test), therefore their checking process would be different or independent. Things could have been overlooked in obtaining ILR (ie witheld information), but they will be checked thoroughly for BC.

kankerot
United Kingdom

Post by kankerot » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:48 am

tripping wrote:
kankerot wrote:For BC applications if you met ILR rules back in 09 are they checked again for a BC application?
Very possible however you have to bear in mind the BC requirements are different to ILR requirements (eg good character requirement, new English qualification test), therefore their checking process would be different or independent. Things could have been overlooked in obtaining ILR (ie witheld information), but they will be checked thoroughly for BC.
Well it seemed the ILR for my wife they were more interested in me and how we met etc than my wife when we went for the interview. This time in the BC it seems to be more interested in my wife. Also the ILR was granted on the spot, why cannot they do something similar for BC even if it costs more.

I always thought ILR was harder to obtain, what witheld information?

tripping

Post by tripping » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:13 am

kankerot wrote:
tripping wrote:
Well it seemed the ILR for my wife they were more interested in me and how we met etc than my wife when we went for the interview. This time in the BC it seems to be more interested in my wife. Also the ILR was granted on the spot, why cannot they do something similar for BC even if it costs more.

I always thought ILR was harder to obtain, what witheld information?
Witheld information could be non declaration of your legal issues, traffic offences, benefits, legal/illegal marriage state, could be a number of things - for whatever reason may have been overlooked by ILR caseworker/or not required, but will be scrutinised for BC. The ILR was granted on the spot because you had a POE appointment, you dont get that with BC. I think the BC's good character requirement requires more vetting and thus takes longer, that is they will probably look at your entire UK history, thats my guess. if you have a clean record in the UK, theres nothing to worry about. Every case is different, no hard and fast rule about the degree of difficulty in obtaining ILR/BC.

kankerot
United Kingdom

Post by kankerot » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:37 am

tripping wrote:
Witheld information could be non declaration of your legal issues, traffic offences, benefits, legal/illegal marriage state, could be a number of things - for whatever reason may have been overlooked by ILR caseworker/or not required, but will be scrutinised for BC. The ILR was granted on the spot because you had a POE appointment, you dont get that with BC. I think the BC's good character requirement requires more vetting and thus takes longer, that is they will probably look at your entire UK history, thats my guess. if you have a clean record in the UK, theres nothing to worry about. Every case is different, no hard and fast rule about the degree of difficulty in obtaining ILR/BC.
Well I have seen others applying for BC at exact same time and getting responses, no legal issues, no traffic offences, never claimed benefits, she's a housewife, we have been married 9 years, all she does is make annual trip back to the USA (she's american citizen), but always less than 90 days.

Are they suspicious that we waited 7 years after ILR was granted to apply? I never saw the need beforehand to apply. We want to travel but really cannot whilst waiting for this application.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:28 am

kankerot wrote:
tripping wrote:Are they suspicious that we waited 7 years after ILR was granted to apply?
To be honest, I don't think they care. I was entitled to register as a British citizen from the age of 5 but I'm now 27 and only just getting it sorted.

Looking at the timeline threads, it does seem that Indian and Pakistani applicants are getting very fast responses. However it could just appear that way because they make up the vast majority of the members on this forum.

There seems to be quite a few approvals for those who applied in February and March already. One guy had his approval in less than a month from the date of HO receiving his application.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:49 am

ohara wrote:
kankerot wrote:
tripping wrote:Are they suspicious that we waited 7 years after ILR was granted to apply?
To be honest, I don't think they care. I was entitled to register as a British citizen from the age of 5 but I'm now 27 and only just getting it sorted.

Looking at the timeline threads, it does seem that Indian and Pakistani applicants are getting very fast responses. However it could just appear that way because they make up the vast majority of the members on this forum.

There seems to be quite a few approvals for those who applied in February and March already. One guy had his approval in less than a month from the date of HO receiving his application.
+1 Ohara. And lets not forget about the few members who are still awaiting the outcome of their applications since 2014, they are the ones I have sympathy for.

People really should just be patient and wait and not read anything into possible delays or get anxious because others who 'applied at the same time' are getting updates.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:02 pm

ohara wrote:Looking at the timeline threads, it does seem that Indian and Pakistani applicants are getting very fast responses.
Given the number of hoops non-EEA migrants have to go through, we become very adept at filling in forms and organising documentation. At the end of the day, even the caseworker is a human being who is looking at a few dozen files a day and would go for the easier ones (such as ones with organised documentation or smaller size) first. I would also not be surprised if there are numerical targets for caseworkers (though obviously I do not know that for certain).
tripping wrote:The ILR was granted on the spot because you had a POE appointment, you dont get that with BC. I think the BC's good character requirement requires more vetting and thus takes longer, that is they will probably look at your entire UK history, thats my guess.
I would agree with that.

Also, ILR is, at the end of the day, leave to remain. And such leave can be revoked if it turns out that it was issued incorrectly or information was withheld. It is a purely domestic (internal to the UK) status.

Nationality, by contrast, is a status in international law and is not so easy to undo. There are international implications if a country refuses entry to one of its nationals, for instance. So, before a grant of nationality, it stands to reason that the Home office does a thorough check on the applicant's background. Essentially, after that, there is no going back, except in very exceptional (think headline grabbing) circumstances.
Neither naturalisation nor issuance of a British passport are a part of the immigration pathway and are administered by different teams in the Home Office, under different rules and different laws.

Immigration
Non-EEA migrants get leave to remain (ranging from visit visas to ILR) under the Immigration Rules, made under the Immigration Act 1971.

EEA citizens and their dependents derive their rights from the EEA Regulations 2006, itself a transposition of Directive 2004/38/EC, and which derives its authority in British law from the European Communities Act 1972.

Nationality
Acquisition and grant of British nationality is governed by the British Nationality Act 1981 and the rules made under it.

Passports
The issuance of passports are one of the few remaining vestiges of the Royal Prerogative and is not governed by parliamentary statute. But that, like most actions carried out by ministers, is subject to judicial review. Canada has seen some judicial developments in this specific area.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:12 pm

We were meticulous with the visa forms all the way down my partners 9 year visa journey, zero refusals, only one issue with a particularly dense visa official asking for details of her kids (she had none) and her course progress (she'd left uni 2 year previous and had had a PSW visa in between) but these things happen and it was easily resolved.

All the way to naturalisation, stress and pain free.

Until we applied for her passport, we messed the form up three times, made so many mistakes it was untrue and a bit embarrasing since the form is so simple compared to FLR(O), FLR(M), PSW, SET(O) etc, we just took our foot off the pedal too early and made repeated trips to the NCS rather sheepishly.

After the BC ceremony we'd both relaxed and mentally thought 'that's it' and became incapable of filling in what is a relatively simple form.

It's a game of two halves, always play to the whistle, and don't sit back in defence when you think the game is over and conserve some energy for extra time if needed.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

kankerot
United Kingdom

Post by kankerot » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:02 pm

[quote="secret.simon"
I would agree with that.

Also, ILR is, at the end of the day, leave to remain. And such leave can be revoked if it turns out that it was issued incorrectly or information was withheld. It is a purely domestic (internal to the UK) status.

Nationality, by contrast, is a status in international law and is not so easy to undo. There are international implications if a country refuses entry to one of its nationals, for instance. So, before a grant of nationality, it stands to reason that the Home office does a thorough check on the applicant's background. Essentially, after that, there is no going back, except in very exceptional (think headline grabbing) circumstances.
.[/quote]

Well then how is it some have had their BC responses within a week in some cases or all within a month of sending the application off. How if these checks are so onerous that they can respond within a week?

kankerot
United Kingdom

Post by kankerot » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:06 pm

ohara wrote:
kankerot wrote:
It seems reading on peoples responses those who are non-EEA and non Indian or Pakistani are having to wait longer, is there a different track they go through?

tripping

Post by tripping » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:22 pm

Kankerot - theres no rhyme or reason as to why some applications get approved quicker than others. What we have provided is just speculation as to why applications can take a while, none of us knows for sure, we dont work for HO. You just have to be patient. My sis and her hubby got theirs within 5 weeks, a mate got his within 3 months (all applied same time) - Aussie citizens, all squeaky clean records, provided documentation as per requirements - no straightforward reasoning as to why their timelines differ.

How long have you been waiting for since you submitted your applications?

kankerot
United Kingdom

Post by kankerot » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:32 pm

tripping wrote:Kankerot - theres no rhyme or reason as to why some applications get approved quicker than others. What we have provided is just speculation as to why applications can take a while, none of us knows for sure, we dont work for HO. You just have to be patient. My sis and her hubby got theirs within 5 weeks, a mate got his within 3 months (all applied same time) - Aussie citizens, all squeaky clean records, provided documentation as per requirements - no straightforward reasoning as to why their timelines differ.

How long have you been waiting for since you submitted your applications?
Submitted 9th march via NCS, 19th money taken, 24th bio done. For my wife, no dependent just her, no need for language test. Someone posted on here same info, spousal visa then ilr 1 yr before applying on the same day via post (not ncs) and is Pakistani have received their citizenship.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:33 pm

I have not actually seen a case of citizenship being granted within a week. Very few cases get citizenship within a month. I had suggested in a past post that something on the lines of single applicants, with a single salaried job and no records on the police database is likely to get through the system than say a family of four, with one applicant working as a contractor, etc and some points on a drivers license.

As I mentioned before, the caseworker is a human being, who is likely to prioritise easier cases first, simply to get the numbers down.
tripping wrote:You just have to be patient.
+1

While dealing with the Home Office, it is a good time to look up that Zen meditation course that you have been putting off.
kankerot wrote:Submitted 9th march via NCS, 19th money taken, 24th bio done.
You've been waiting less than a month!!! Chill. Go have a drink, relax, space out. If you don't get it in three months, I can imagine that there is then some grounds for complaint.

It is also possible that the volume of EEA migrants applying for citizenship may also be impacting on volumes.
Last edited by secret.simon on Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

kankerot
United Kingdom

Post by kankerot » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:45 pm

secret.simon wrote:I have not actually seen a case of citizenship being granted within a week. Very few cases get citizenship within a month..
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... l#p1309205

7 days, recently someone had it done in 14 days.

tier1o

Post by tier1o » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:28 pm

kankerot wrote: Submitted 9th march via NCS, 19th money taken, 24th bio done.
Still early days;
CR001 wrote: And lets not forget about the few members who are still awaiting the outcome of their applications since 2014, they are the ones I have sympathy for.
+ 1

Patience is not simply the ability to wait - it's how we behave while we're waiting.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:42 pm

tier1o wrote:Patience is not simply the ability to wait - it's how we behave while we're waiting.
+1 Zillion.
Golden words, whoever authored them!

Unfortunately, for some "patience" translates to spending more time posting on this forum as if posting here will fast-track their application. :lol:
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:48 pm

geriatrix wrote:
tier1o wrote:Unfortunately, for some "patience" translates to spending more time posting on this forum as if posting here will fast-track their application. :lol:
+1 geriatrix :? :shock:
Char (CR001 not Casa)

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:39 pm

It does look to me like it took about a month from the date of application. We do not know the details of that applicant's case though, so it would be immature to speculate on why or how the case was progressed so quickly.

It seems to me that the common element of the citizenship applications that seem to be progressed quickly are not that they are Indian or Pakistani, but that they have been in the UK continuously on work visas. That Indians and Pakistanis make up the bulk of that group could justify the earlier observation about Indians and Pakistanis getting naturalisation processed quickly.

Given the close eye you keep on the details of the immigration timelines and critique the work of the Home Office, may I suggest a future career working for the Independent Chief Inspectorate of Borders and Immigration?
geriatrix wrote:
tier1o wrote:Patience is not simply the ability to wait - it's how we behave while we're waiting.
+1 Zillion.
Golden words, whoever authored them!

Unfortunately, for some "patience" translates to spending more time posting on this forum as if posting here will fast-track their application. :lol:
I join in both sentiments expressed in the above post.

kankerot
United Kingdom

If HO ask for extra information how long to apply?

Post by kankerot » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:38 am

We are waiting for our BC but we need to travel as we have a sick relative so it could be for 3-4 weeks or longer. What if the HO sends a letter, how long do we have to respond? Also when is it likely that they ask for extra info? We had bio done late afternoon 24/3 so that was Thursday before Easter Friday.

Should we just wait and see if we get a response from the HO first?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:19 am

Please Keep your BC queries in a single topic.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

kankerot
United Kingdom

Approval Letter

Post by kankerot » Thu May 05, 2016 11:11 am

So received the approval letter today but I have 2 questions

1) On the details it states my wifes full name but where it states Name at Birth it's blank, my wife has not changed her name after marriage. Is this correct or will I need to amend? Her birth name is her current name.

2) I submitted the app via NCS at a different council as our local council does not have NCS capability so can I ring round councils to find a time or wait for the local council to send a letter for the ceremony?