ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BSc. Electrical Engineering & English Language Requireme

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

saqib95
Newly Registered

Post by saqib95 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:13 pm

Hi,

I am an elctronics engineer with BSc. Electrical Engg. degree from UET Taxila Pakistan. Its a 4 year program taught in English. After its completion you have completed 16 years of formal education and are eligible to be called a Professional Engineer in Pakistan.

I am planning to apply for the HSMP. There is some conmfusion regarding the Academic and Professional/Vocational qualification. I have sent my docs. to UK NARIC for a letter of comparability, however, I am not sure if this degree of mine is enough to satisfy the English language requirement as the HSMP team may consider it a Professional/vocational qualification rather than a Academic degree.

Does anybody has the info. whether an bachelors engineering degree (like mines) taught in English can fullfil the English language requirement for HSMP?

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:59 pm

Best to wait until you hear back from NARIC. Most 4 year courses from Pak are considered to be equivalent to UK degrees, but I have never heard of your uni so I am not sure.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Re: BSc. Electrical Engineering & English Language Requi

Post by pantaiema » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:40 pm

saqib95

Noone could advcei Ubetter than NARIC. In your case U have submitted your file for comparability, so it is better to wait.
saqib95 wrote:Hi,

I am an elctronics engineer with BSc. Electrical Engg. degree from UET Taxila Pakistan. Its a 4 year program taught in English. After its completion you have completed 16 years of formal education and are eligible to be called a Professional Engineer in Pakistan.

I am planning to apply for the HSMP. There is some conmfusion regarding the Academic and Professional/Vocational qualification. I have sent my docs. to UK NARIC for a letter of comparability, however, I am not sure if this degree of mine is enough to satisfy the English language requirement as the HSMP team may consider it a Professional/vocational qualification rather than a Academic degree.

Does anybody has the info. whether an bachelors engineering degree (like mines) taught in English can fullfil the English language requirement for HSMP?
Pantaiema

saqib95
Newly Registered

Post by saqib95 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:03 am

VictoriaS wrote:Best to wait until you hear back from NARIC. Most 4 year courses from Pak are considered to be equivalent to UK degrees, but I have never heard of your uni so I am not sure.

Victoria
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. Actually my question was that a Bachelors in engineering degree taught in English will be sufficient to satisy English language requirements? NARIC will only give its verdict on degree equivalence but not on English language issue. For that I have to get a letter from the University. So the question remains whether a BSc. Engg. degree taught in English can satify the English language requirement as HSMP guys may consider it a professional/vocational degree (which even if taught in english won't be enough to qualify ).

asim_khan

Post by asim_khan » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:34 am

Dear Saqib,
I m frm Pak as well and I guarantee u that the degree studied is a recognized degree and shall meet the English language requirement as well..all u need is to get a letter frm UET stating ollowing things :
Ur name
Degree awarded..name of degree
Course was taught in english..
Date of award of degree.......this is vvvv imp..if it is not in the letter..u r on a risk of rejection.
Inshallah u will get through..and i m 200% sure that ur degree is equivalent to UK bachelor's as well..no need to do NARIC evaluation ..but as u already applied for that..so no worries....
Asim

saqib95
Newly Registered

Post by saqib95 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:58 am

asim_khan wrote:Dear Saqib,
I m frm Pak as well and I guarantee u that the degree studied is a recognized degree and shall meet the English language requirement as well..all u need is to get a letter frm UET stating ollowing things :
Ur name
Degree awarded..name of degree
Course was taught in english..
Date of award of degree.......this is vvvv imp..if it is not in the letter..u r on a risk of rejection.
Inshallah u will get through..and i m 200% sure that ur degree is equivalent to UK bachelor's as well..no need to do NARIC evaluation ..but as u already applied for that..so no worries....
Asim
Dear Asim,

Thanks for your reply. As I understood from HSMP guidance, a NARIC letter is must to establish the equivalence, so i went for it.

As far as letter from UET, I am in process of making it. As you would probably know that there two dates on the degree. One date is when you completed the degree requirements (like 2nd June 2000) and the 2nd one is when you actually got the degree (like 16th Feb 2002). This is because tradiitonally the convocations are not held immediately after the course finishes but a few years later. So should I put both these dates on the letter ?

asim_khan

Post by asim_khan » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:40 pm

Dear Mate,
well, in ur case , the date of award of degree is 2nd June 2000. u try to just put this date as.....date of award of degree was June 2, 2000.

and where have u read in guidance of HSMP that NARIC is a must..my frnd..no need to do NARIC..its not for us who studied in a recognized UNI like Karachi University, LUMS, UET Lahore or Taxila...
NARIC evaluation is for personal satisfaction if u r not sure that ur degree is recognized or not...an applicant through GBP 20 to do NARIC evaluation rather than to through GBP 400 for HSMP application and got refused for this reason.

well but unfortunately on this forum i have read a thread that an applicant from NUST got refusal as his bachelor's is not being recognized by HSMP team despite of attahing a NARIC certificate...but exceptions are always there...
so here u r....if u have already applied for NARIC evaluation which i believe u did...let ur certificate come..and then jus attach with ur application.
Gud Luk Bro
Asim

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Re: BSc. Electrical Engineering & English Language Requi

Post by pantaiema » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:33 pm

Actually my question was that a Bachelors in engineering degree taught in English will be sufficient to satisy English language requirements?
YEs given that your first degree is equivalent to UK bschelors degree. Also the wording of letter from univeties must meet the requirement of HO.

NARIC will only give its verdict on degree equivalence but not on English language issue.
Not fully correct. U could only use your fist degre as prove of english proficiency if it is comparable to UK bachlors NARIC. THis is the role of NARIC to confirm this. If your bachelor degree is not camparable to UK first degree U l not be abvle to use your degree certificate as prove of english proficiency.
For that I have to get a letter from the University. So the question remains whether a BSc. Engg. degree taught in English can satify the English language requirement as HSMP guys may consider it a professional/vocational degree (which even if taught in english won't be enough to qualify ).
see above
Pantaiema

saqib95
Newly Registered

Post by saqib95 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:28 am

asim_khan wrote:Dear Mate,
well, in ur case , the date of award of degree is 2nd June 2000. u try to just put this date as.....date of award of degree was June 2, 2000.

and where have u read in guidance of HSMP that NARIC is a must..my frnd..no need to do NARIC..its not for us who studied in a recognized UNI like Karachi University, LUMS, UET Lahore or Taxila...
NARIC evaluation is for personal satisfaction if u r not sure that ur degree is recognized or not...an applicant through GBP 20 to do NARIC evaluation rather than to through GBP 400 for HSMP application and got refused for this reason.

well but unfortunately on this forum i have read a thread that an applicant from NUST got refusal as his bachelor's is not being recognized by HSMP team despite of attahing a NARIC certificate...but exceptions are always there...
so here u r....if u have already applied for NARIC evaluation which i believe u did...let ur certificate come..and then jus attach with ur application.
Gud Luk Bro
Asim
Hello Asim,

On HSMP guidance notes page 25 they say that:

"Qualifications have to meet the recognised standard of UK Bachelors, Masters or PhD (as verified by the current National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) database), to be awarded the respective points."

Also about the awrd of degree, as i told u there are two dates mentioned and the words "the degree was awarded on...." are not mentioend as such... I dont understand why they want to be so specific ...

Saqib

nilamchand
Newly Registered

Post by nilamchand » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:52 am

I am planning to apply for NARIC to get the Letter of Comparability and can anyone confirm on the following

- Can I apply thru the naric.org.uk online
- How they will send the Letter of Comparability; I mean will it be thru Postal or they will send it the Soft copy in the form of pdf or doc file. I dont get any information on this in their site.
- If they send it thru Postal, then who and how the postal charges will be paid, say I reside in India.

--Nilam

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:41 pm

1. Yes. that is in fact most of the people do
2. By post
3. In the fee that U have paid, the postal fee is already included.

Good Luck

nilamchand wrote:I am planning to apply for NARIC to get the Letter of Comparability and can anyone confirm on the following

1. Can I apply thru the naric.org.uk online
2. How they will send the Letter of Comparability; I mean will it be thru Postal or they will send it the Soft copy in the form of pdf or doc file. I dont get any information on this in their site.
3. If they send it thru Postal, then who and how the postal charges will be paid, say I reside in India.

--Nilam
Pantaiema

Paulhsmp

English proficiency documents and specification.

Post by Paulhsmp » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:03 am

Everything you want to know about English Proficiency while applying HSMP is explained here in this link
http://ec-hsmp.blogspot.com/2007/11/eng ... iency.html