ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NTL BRP - anyone else still waiting since February?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ElleDee
Newly Registered

NTL BRP - anyone else still waiting since February?

Post by ElleDee » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:46 pm

Hi everyone,

Just looking to see if anyone else has similar dates to me and if they've received their documents and/or BRP card yet. I had no idea they'd hold on to my passport for this whole process, nor did I realise it could take months (no mention of that until you get the biometrics letter!) I've been contracting under my own company but have recently been offered a permanent role, so I now need the BRP.

Type: BRP NTL (transfer ILR visa from a Canadian passport to BRP card)
Application sent: 02/02/2016
Application received: ?
Acknowledgement: None!
Biometrics letter received: 19/02/2016
Biometrics taken: 20/02/2016

No acknowledgement was received after the biometrics were taken/sent. We're due to fly at the end of May and I'm panicking. I'm now torn between cancelling the application or waiting it out and keeping my fingers crossed. It's been so stressful. I've been living here for 16 years now and got ILR in 2004. It's awful that they restrict your ability to travel, despite already having ILR. :( Any words of advice or reassurance would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

tooting80
Newly Registered

Re: NTL BRP - anyone else still waiting since February?

Post by tooting80 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:50 am

Hi

I hope you get your BRP soon. Im also planning to get my ILR transferred to BRP card for job purpose. Im travelling abroad in first week of August and i thought its allowed to travel with old ILR stamp. I have decided to apply when im back after reading similar posts to yours as this whole process could take more then 3 months. But now im worried as you have mentioned about travel restriction?

ElleDee
Newly Registered

Post by ElleDee » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:00 pm

Yes, they will keep your passport(s) during the entire process. So unlike when you apply for a passport and they send it back within a few days, for the BRP application they will keep it right up until you receive your card. I would definitely hold off on applying for your BRP until after you travel in August. I dearly wish I did the same. :(

tooting80
Newly Registered

Post by tooting80 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:31 pm

I know what your going through and pray that you get your passports soon. All i can say is wait till its 2 weeks left to your flight before withdrawing your application. Please keep us updated with your case progress.

ElleDee
Newly Registered

Post by ElleDee » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:33 pm

Thank you. :)

denise
Newly Registered

Post by denise » Wed May 11, 2016 11:34 am

Hi ElleDee, I've updated on my thread but not sure if you would see it. We have received the documents back that we sent, and there was a letter saying the BRP will be sent shortly. I hope you have heard back also.
Good luck

ElleDee
Newly Registered

Post by ElleDee » Wed May 11, 2016 11:40 am

Thank you Denise, I saw it - yippie! Fingers, toes, and eyes crossed that I get mine back, too.

ElleDee
Newly Registered

Post by ElleDee » Tue May 17, 2016 11:41 am

Just to update this in case it's of any use to anyone, I requested my documents back on April 28 and chose the option to go ahead and keep processing my application if it was going to be decided within 10 days. I then sent a form on May 12 to let them know my documents haven't been received after 10 days.

I rang the number on my biometrics letter to see if there was any way I could speak to a human being about my documents and application, but apparently there is no way to do this. The person I spoke to said they don't have access to application information, but suggested I send a letter explaining my situation and request my documents again, and include a prepaid self addressed envelope. He thought that they will be able to return it to me the next day (I'm not overly confident about that, but it's better than sitting here doing nothing.) So, if I don't get my passport back in the next day or so, I'll send a letter to the Home Office address on my letter (Capitl Building in Liverpool) and try this route.

We are supposed to be travelling early in the morning on May 30, so I am in a blind panic now. This process has been horrendous, to say the least.

ElleDee
Newly Registered

Post by ElleDee » Thu May 19, 2016 2:27 pm

UPDATE!

I finally have both my passport and BRP! I withdrew my application but checked the option to carry on processing my application if it was going to be decided within 10 days, and had to send another request when my documents still hadn't arrived after 10 days. I finally got everything back yesterday morning.

Here's my timeline if it helps anyone else:

Type: BRP NTL (transfer ILR visa from an expired Canadian passport to BRP card)
Application sent: 02/02/2016
Application received: ?
Acknowledgement: None!
Biometrics letter received: 19/02/2016
Biometrics taken: 20/02/2016
Application withdrawal sent: 28/04/2016
Progress request sent: 12/05/2016
Documents and BRP received: 18/05/2016

So, it took 3 1/2 months in total with 10 days to spare before we fly on holiday. Phew! :roll: What a horrible, stressful process!!!

denise
Newly Registered

Post by denise » Thu May 19, 2016 9:12 pm

Yay! So pleased for you! At least you can leave this all behind now and enjoy your holiday :)

ElleDee
Newly Registered

Post by ElleDee » Thu May 19, 2016 9:22 pm

Thank you, Denise. I am so, so relieved!

nnatusie
Newly Registered

Post by nnatusie » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:52 am

Good Morning All,

I have recently (22 June 2016) applied for my new BRP (had ILR in my expired passport), I also had the first name changed (long story). We wanted to go away on a long deserved holiday end of August, anyone knows if I can get my passport back but keep the process active still? This is considering I get the letter from Home Office?

I really appreciate your advise, as you know how frustrating the process can be. :(

Thank you all

Natalie

ElleDee
Newly Registered

Post by ElleDee » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:58 am

Hi Natalie,

The only way to get your passport back is to cancel your application and lose your money, I'm afraid. There is an option to carry on with the application if it was going to be decided within 10 days, but that will likely not happen if you only applied for your BRP in late June. Have you done your biometrics yet?

nnatusie
Newly Registered

Post by nnatusie » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:42 pm

Hi ElleDee,

Thanks for the reply.

I have just done my biometrics. Let's see how it goes from now. To be honest I only needed to change my first name on my new passport that's why my ILR had to be amended as well, so BRP was the only option. It is pretty straight forward so hopefully they will not take 6 months to decide.
Will update soon , fingers crossed
Thank you
Natalie