ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NARIC tier help

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Federal

NARIC tier help

Post by Federal » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:52 am

Hey folks,

Apologies if this has been answered already. I'm an EU national with aspirations of going through the naturalisation process (with a 15-year delay). I'm really disappointed with the new NARIC requirement, which essentially replaces a free confirmation with a paid-for service that does exactly the same.

Anyway, I hold an undergraduate and a postgraduate diploma from two UK universities, and I'm not sure, as an EU national, what 'Immigration Tier' I should select from the drop down menu. If I select 'Family, settlement, and nationality', the next sub-menu only has 'Family' and 'Settlement' available.

What do I select?

I saw from other posts that UK degrees are not yet supported by the NARIC. Is this still the case? If so, am I in limbo?

Many thanks

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: NARIC tier help

Post by geriatrix » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:51 pm

Federal wrote:I hold an undergraduate and a postgraduate diploma from two UK universities,
If you do not have bachelor "degree" level qualification, you'll need to take an approved test.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Federal

Post by Federal » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:40 am

Hi - apologies, I probably wasn't clear. I do have both a Bachelors (BA Hons) and a Masters (MA)

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:34 am

Federal wrote:Anyway, I hold an undergraduate and a postgraduate diploma from two UK universities, and I'm not sure, as an EU national, what 'Immigration Tier' I should select from the drop down menu. If I select 'Family, settlement, and nationality', the next sub-menu only has 'Family' and 'Settlement' available.

What do I select?

I saw from other posts that UK degrees are not yet supported by the NARIC. Is this still the case? If so, am I in limbo?
I'm not sure what type of application you are trying to make in this instance, but just focusing on the question you have around NARIC, this is only required if you hold a foreign degree. If both your bachelors and masters degrees were taught in English and from the UK, the degree certificate alone will suffice.

Federal

Post by Federal » Sun May 01, 2016 4:13 pm

This is for an upcoming citizenship application.

I would hope that the degree itself would suffice, but HO guidance states:
4. If your degree was taught or researched in English
You can prove your knowledge of English by having a degree that was taught or researched in English.

You’ll need your original degree certificate and one of the following:

an original letter or certificate from UK NARIC confirming the equivalent level of your degree, plus an official letter from your university with your name and degree confirming that your degree was taught in English
an original and official certificate from your university confirming the degree was taught or researched in a majority English-speaking country (except Canada)
So I need one of the above, probably not the NARIC letter, but maybe the 'official certificate' that confirms that my UK degree was taught in English.

There is no provision for UK degrees, so I'm literally groping int he dark.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun May 01, 2016 5:00 pm

That refers to (majority English-speaking) countries other than UK.

Reading FAQs - English language requirements for naturalisation should help.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Federal

Post by Federal » Mon May 02, 2016 12:23 am

Thanks for this. I may be missing it, but according to the FAQ, UK degree holders are in limbo. It clearly states that
UK qualification - The new V&NS does not allow you to input "UK" as the country of study.

Academic qualification - You don't need any document from NARIC. If in doubt, check with NARIC if they can issue ELA for a UK academic qualification.
Under the ELA site ( http://www.naric.org.uk/naric/individua ... sment.aspx ) , the online application that leads from it (http://www.naric.org.uk/naric/individua ... ister.aspx ) has no provision for ... ELA inquiries (!). If you then select the visas & immigration category, you're left with the two options outlined in my earlier post.

So, the FAQ says that I don't need a NARIC document (nor an ELA then), but UKVI says that I need a certificate proving that my degree was taught in English.

Common logic would dictate that the degree itself is sufficient, but this would contravene UKVI guidance. Unfortunately, that very same guidance points to a dead end.

Federal

Post by Federal » Tue May 03, 2016 1:50 pm

An update: Just called NARIC. They do NOT assess UK qualifications, so they wouldn't be able to give me a letter or an ELA.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Tue May 03, 2016 2:42 pm

Why are you using NARIC if you did your degree in the UK :?:

The degree certificate itself is proof enough.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue May 03, 2016 2:49 pm

Federal wrote:An update: Just called NARIC. They do NOT assess UK qualifications, so they wouldn't be able to give me a letter or an ELA.
That's what I inferred in my previous response. I.e. If you have a UK qualification, then there would be no requirement for a comparability statement. If it helps, my personal experience, I applied in November last year with a UK degree certificate alone. No PBS printout was requested and certainly no NARIC letter. The NCS staff also mentioned that those were only required if you held a foreign degree.

Federal

Post by Federal » Tue May 03, 2016 3:10 pm

Thanks guys - I suspected as much, but like I said, Home Office guidance on the matter does not make it clear. I'll consider the matter resolved