ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I was born in the UK in 1991 but i am not a citizen?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Jousiff91
Newly Registered

I was born in the UK in 1991 but i am not a citizen?

Post by Jousiff91 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:40 pm

I just wondering if i am eligible to get the citizenship! I was born in the UK in 1991. I only have birth certificate and its written in my passport that i was born in the UK. The thing is everyone keeps asking me how come i am not a citizen and my answer usually is i have no idea! then i looked up day at the government website that if you were born in the UK after 1983 (which is my case) you are automatically a citizen! However my parents are not British. Anyone can help please?

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Re: I was born in the UK in 1991 but i am not a citizen?

Post by UKBALoveStory » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:44 pm

Jousiff91 wrote:i looked up day at the government website that if you were born in the UK after 1983 (which is my case) you are automatically a citizen! However my parents are not British.
Can you please paste the link here?
I am not an immigration adviser...All IMHO.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:47 pm

No, you are misreading it. If you were born in the UK BEFORE 1983, you would have been automatically British. Being born after 1983 you are not British at all, you could only have become British if your parents had permanent residence and registered you as British.

What is your nationality?

What is your parents immigration status in the UK?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

JohnnyZee

Post by JohnnyZee » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:48 pm

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:01 pm

The OP is clearly not under 18 to be able to register on MN1. His parents status in the UK is also very important, hence my question. If they did not get ILR or citizenship, the OP will be unable to follow any route to citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:55 pm

The British Nationality Act 1981 removed automatic citizenship acquisition by jus soli for those born to parents who are not settled.
1 Acquisition by birth or adoption.

(1)A person born in the United Kingdom after commencement [F1, or in a qualifying territory on or after the appointed day,] shall be a British citizen if at the time of the birth his father or mother is—

(a)a British citizen; or

(b)settled in the United Kingdom [or that territory].
There are of course provisions to register a UK born minor as a British citizen once a parent becomes settled.
(3)A person born in the United Kingdom after commencement who is not a British citizen by virtue of subsection (1) [F7, (1A)] or (2) shall be entitled to be registered as a British citizen if, while he is a minor—

(a)his father or mother becomes a British citizen or becomes settled in the United Kingdom; and

(b)an application is made for his registration as a British citizen.
This is an entitlement until the child turns 18. After that, naturalisation seems to be your only option :(

https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:54 pm

Jousiff91 wrote: Anyone can help please?
We can help. Just need you to answer a question: What was the status of your parents when you born in the UK?

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Sun May 01, 2016 8:34 am

CR001 wrote:
The OP is clearly not under 18 to be able to register on MN1.
How do you rule out Form T? If the OP spent the first ten years of his life in the UK, then he can probably register. Being of bad character would be the only problem; I'm not sure if that can arise merely from being lawfully present in breach of the immigration laws.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun May 01, 2016 8:07 pm

OP what was your parents immigration status when you were born? Also, did you live the first 10 years in the UK without absences over 90 days?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.