ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Qualified Person/Residence Card Advice

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sp84

Qualified Person/Residence Card Advice

Post by sp84 » Tue May 10, 2016 1:21 am

Hi everyone - I was hoping that some of you could help point me in the right direction regarding my current/upcoming situation:

Background - I am an Irish Citizen, that has previously lived in the UK - so I already have a National Insurance Number, bank account, drivers license, proof of address in the UK etc

I moved to the USA 4 years ago after getting married to my now American wife. A few weeks ago I applied for and was successful in receiving an EEA Family Permit for her. It is valid from June 1st 2016 - December 1st 2016. We plan on arriving in the UK around June 12th.

I have spoken to a solicitor and he has recommended that not only do I get back to the UK before the referendum on June 23rd - but that I also submit my wife's application for her Residence Card before then. I know that in order for her to be successful with her RC application, I need to be a Qualified Person. As the turn around time is so short, between me arriving in the UK and the referendum - I am trying to evaluate my options: I know that the easiest way for me to be a qualified person is as an "employed" person - I am working on finding work as we speak, but there is no guarantee that I will have a job in place by the time I arrive back, so ......

I was thinking of applying as "self-sufficient" - I would have free accommodation in the UK (for as long as needed) so my living expenses would be incredibly low. Also, with the savings that we have both in the UK and here in our USA bank account - feel that we can show that we will not be a burden on the state for at least several months. We are also both qualified teachers (though I do not think that potential earnings come in to consideration), so I am hoping to find work for September when school starts back again. I know that I will need CSI in order to be classed as self-sufficient. My questions though around this route are:

(1) Who can I buy CSI from? - I have searched high and low online, but cannot find an insurance company that actually has it as a listed type of coverage. Aviva, AXA Insuance etc?
(2) How does CSI work exactly - If I, for example have to see a doctor - do I go to my local NHS GP & the insurance company covers the costs? or do I have to go to a private clinic?
(3) Has anyone on these boards ever actually been successful with a self-sufficient application? I read that this type of application & a job seeker for that matter, are the 2 easiest for the Home Office to reject, for obvious reasons. So it would be nice to hear about a success story from the boards!

Secondly I was thinking of applying as both "self-sufficient & job seeker". I know that in addition to CSI and savings, I should also register with a local Job Centre, recruitment agency etc - but similar to before, with the short time frame that I have between arriving and the vote taking place - I doubt I will be able to show rejection letters, invites to interviews etc (One post on these threads did say that their application was rejected because the Home Office needed proof they actually attended the interviews :? ) So it may be tough for me to have enough evidence to class myself as a job-seeker.

I know this is a long post & I apologise - but I just wanted to see what you folks felt / recommendations for how I should approach applying for the RC so soon after arriving back.

Thanks!

sp84

Re: Qualified Person/Residence Card Advice

Post by sp84 » Tue May 10, 2016 7:46 pm

Sorry for bumping the thread up again - was just hoping someone could offer some advice - especially around the CSI / self-sufficient aspect of things.

Cheers!