ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK viza for non-EU spouse

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Archy007
Newly Registered

UK viza for non-EU spouse

Post by Archy007 » Wed May 11, 2016 12:49 pm

I am a EU-passport holder (Greece) but my wife has an Armenian passport and a residence card.
We are married for 15 years and have a child (with EU passport).
Now I am signing for a permanent position in the UK and the idea is, that my family will relocate 1-2 months later. The questions are:
1. Does my wife need visa or family permit to enter the UK or she can cross the UK's border together with me, having only her residence card?
2. What additional documents should be provided on the border.
3. How long does it take to get visa in Athens' visa center?

Any link to official information which explains all of this CLEARLY would be extremely helpful
Thanks

Obie
Ireland

Re: UK viza for non-EU spouse

Post by Obie » Wed May 11, 2016 2:24 pm

How did your wife acquire residence card, for which country and on what basis did she acquire it?
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Archy007
Newly Registered

Post by Archy007 » Thu May 12, 2016 11:00 am

In 2002, when we married, she entered Greece with visa as a a wife of EU-citizen and then every 5 years was getting a Residence Card Of A Family Member Of A Union Citizen.

Archy007
Newly Registered

Post by Archy007 » Fri May 13, 2016 7:07 pm

Hi people, could anyone give me some information about it, please. It's really urgent!
Thanks.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri May 13, 2016 7:41 pm

Archy007 wrote:In 2002, when we married, she entered Greece with visa as a a wife of EU-citizen and then every 5 years was getting a Residence Card Of A Family Member Of A Union Citizen.
You may want to double-check your wife's Residence Card and any accompanying documentation and see if it was issued under Article 10 or 15 of the EU Directive 2004/38/EC.

If it was a domestic Greek Residence Card issued under domestic Greek law, your wife needs to apply for a Family Permit.

If it was a Residence Card issued under EU law, she does not need one.

If you are not sure, it is safest to apply for a Family Permit.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Archy007
Newly Registered

Post by Archy007 » Fri May 13, 2016 8:39 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Archy007 wrote:In 2002, when we married, she entered Greece with visa as a a wife of EU-citizen and then every 5 years was getting a Residence Card Of A Family Member Of A Union Citizen.
You may want to double-check your wife's Residence Card and any accompanying documentation and see if it was issued under Article 10 or 15 of the EU Directive 2004/38/EC.

If it was a domestic Greek Residence Card issued under domestic Greek law, your wife needs to apply for a Family Permit.

If it was a Residence Card issued under EU law, she does not need one.

If you are not sure, it is safest to apply for a Family Permit.
Thank you for the answer - I will check it.
Does anyone know if I need to have a contract for rent to get a family permit, because I am going to live at my friend's home (free of charge, of course). What should I do in this situation?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri May 13, 2016 8:51 pm

Archy007 wrote:Thank you for the answer - I will check it.
Does anyone know if I need to have a contract for rent to get a family permit, because I am going to live at my friend's home (free of charge, of course). What should I do in this situation?
Well that's what friends are for.

Start with the guide to supporting documents - don't leave home without it:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... permit.pdf
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Archy007
Newly Registered

Post by Archy007 » Sun May 15, 2016 11:34 am

Thank you everybody for being helpful.