ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Carte de sejour for Dependant Parents of EU Citizen

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

heyitsme

Carte de sejour for Dependant Parents of EU Citizen

Post by heyitsme » Sat May 14, 2016 12:26 pm

I am a UK Citizen living and working in France for the last 2 years. My parents are non-EU citizens who are dependant on the money I send them regularly. They are coming to France on a short stay type C visit visa. I want to apply for French residence card (carte de sejour) for my parents. I contacted the Pau Pyrenees prefecture about if my parents can apply for Carte de sejour but they said that my parents need to be on type D visa to apply for carte de sejour. I told them that I am a UK Citizen not a French citizen but they didn't agree. I showed them the EU Directive 2004 freedom of movement but they still didn't agree and said that only spouse and children can apply for Carte de sejour on type C visa.

It's also difficult to apply in another prefecture as it would mean moving to that place for a few months which could cost me my job! Does anyone have any experience or advice about dealing with French authorities (préfecture)? What are my options? Any Help would be appreciated

noajthan

Re: Carte de sejour for Dependant Parents of EU Citizen

Post by noajthan » Sat May 14, 2016 4:50 pm

heyitsme wrote:I am a UK Citizen living and working in France for the last 2 years. My parents are non-EU citizens who are dependant on the money I send them regularly. They are coming to France on a short stay type C visit visa. I want to apply for French residence card (carte de sejour) for my parents. I contacted the Pau Pyrenees prefecture about if my parents can apply for Carte de sejour but they said that my parents need to be on type D visa to apply for carte de sejour. I told them that I am a UK Citizen not a French citizen but they didn't agree. I showed them the EU Directive 2004 freedom of movement but they still didn't agree and said that only spouse and children can apply for Carte de sejour on type C visa.

It's also difficult to apply in another prefecture as it would mean moving to that place for a few months which could cost me my job! Does anyone have any experience or advice about dealing with French authorities (préfecture)? What are my options? Any Help would be appreciated
I think you're correct.

https://eumovement.wordpress.com/2007/0 ... u-citizen/

There is no legal requirement that:
  • The EU citizen is already (or will be) living or working in a different EU member state;
    The non-EU family member holds a specific immigration visa or status. It is fine for them to have a nationally issued visa or a student visa or a visitor’s visa or even implied status;
    The family member apply in their country of origin;
    The family member resides or previously resided in the EU/EEA;
See https://eumovement.wordpress.com/2008/0 ... ly-member/
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

heyitsme

Post by heyitsme » Sat May 14, 2016 8:07 pm

Yeah I know that I am on the right side but the problem is that prefecture says that my parents need Type D visa. How shall I convince them? I showed them the EU directive but they don't agree. What shall be my next step?

rohangk_83
Newly Registered

Post by rohangk_83 » Sat May 14, 2016 9:54 pm

Hi, I am a British national in Paris. My mother came on Schengen C- visit visa and applied for carte de sejour. The prefecture initially said same thing as you describe but later on accepted her application after I contacted Solvit UK.
They cannot refuse legally to accept her dossier. It is also not legal to ask for D type visa.

heyitsme

Post by heyitsme » Sun May 15, 2016 6:38 am

rohangk_83 wrote:Hi, I am a British national in Paris. My mother came on Schengen C- visit visa and applied for carte de sejour. The prefecture initially said same thing as you describe but later on accepted her application after I contacted Solvit UK.
They cannot refuse legally to accept her dossier. It is also not legal to ask for D type visa.
Thats Great! I am very happy to have found someone who has applied for Carte de sejour for their parents!

I have a ton of questions to ask, I hope you won't mind me bombarding you with questions :D
1) Was your mother a Non-EU national?
2) Did she need visa to visit france?
3) Did her visa say that she is a "family member of EU citizen"?
4) What supporting documents did you submit with the application to show proof of dependance? (Bank statments etc)
5) How much time did it take to get her Carte de sejour?

heyitsme

France. Applying in another Prefecture

Post by heyitsme » Wed May 18, 2016 3:03 am

please tell me if it is possible to apply at a prefecture in another city? I contacted préfectures in other cities without telling them that I am not in their area. They were more reasonable unlike the prefecture of my city. I want to know if it is possible to apply to another city's prefecture? If so what evidence of residence would they require? I currently work in a company which doesn't allow me more than a week vacations so will I have to fully move to another city in order to apply or can I just rent an apartment for a week or so and apply to another prefecture?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: France. Applying in another Prefecture

Post by CR001 » Wed May 18, 2016 8:48 am

Topics merged. Please keep all your questions about the same application in one place, it is not necessary to start a new topic with each question.

See Multiple Posts (click)
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.