ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Return of passport/documents and new expedite option

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

KMocha
Newly Registered

Return of passport/documents and new expedite option

Post by KMocha » Tue May 24, 2016 8:44 pm

Hi all,

I'm writing this post in order to get some clarification on how things work in the UK(or don't).

I applied for a UK residence card via spouse (Spanish) EEA2. I am American.

Two weeks after I applied, because of a family emergency, I had to request my passport back. I explained the sudden, dire need. That was on May 10. A full 14 days later, nothing. I called today and was told they've been getting calls from those who haven't received their passports back for as long as 20 days after initial request.
Is there any accountability?

I am shocked. Then today, I see that they've quietly added the option to "expedite" your application by paying between 400 to 500 quid. So wait, then there is no incentive for them to return my passport within 10 days. Since the expedite option asks if you want your application expedited because of urgent need for documents, it's perfect for them to delay those who aren't using this premium expedited version. So Home Office can just change the rules, do as they please? :roll:

Something is terribly wrong with the system and it seems there is no accountability. Are there any attorneys on this forum? Thanks.

menie13

Re: Return of passport/documents and new expedite option

Post by menie13 » Tue May 24, 2016 8:56 pm

Hi

I am french nationality, i submitted my eea pr application on the 16th April, received the confirmation email on the 16th may and requested my passport back on the 7th may. . Nothing since. Yesterday I proceeded with the online return progress form to chase the passport to be sent back. Today I called them and they mentioned i had to wait another 10 days... they did not even want me to give them any reference. .. so worried the request got lost i sent another one today. .I agree it can be easily frustrating it looks like there is nothing we can do.

Hopefully it will take not more than 20 days :cry:

EEA PR received 18th April
Payment taken: 21st April
Passport request : 7th May
Email Confirmation that my EEA PR has been received and is being considered : 16th May
Passport Return progress form : 23rd May
2nd Passport request : 24th May (just did another one in case they lost the first one, mentioning I need the passport by the end of june due to travelling reason)

ASNUL

Post by ASNUL » Tue May 24, 2016 9:08 pm

What I know is that it's difficult to get passports back before the COA is issued, I also know that the premium service is not applicable for the EEA applications, this is only out of experience with my application or actually applications !!!

KMocha
Newly Registered

Post by KMocha » Tue May 24, 2016 9:24 pm

Oh goodness, looks like nothing to do but wait, Menie.

At this point, I would gladly withdraw my application if I can just have my passport back.

By the way, my COA came just as I was requesting my passport back -- maybe a day after. The fellow I spoke with this morning on that EEA helpline appeared flustered himself saying he'd been getting numerous calls about passports not returned since 9am.

Good to know UK authorities can't be taken for their word. Happy to at least have the American embassy respond to my email within an hour explaining how to get an emergency passport in such circumstances -- which they issue within 2 hours. Pretty clear which place I should stick with. Now give me my passport back and let me get out, will ya?

menie13

Post by menie13 » Wed May 25, 2016 11:49 am

KMocha wrote:Oh goodness, looks like nothing to do but wait, Menie.

At this point, I would gladly withdraw my application if I can just have my passport back.

By the way, my COA came just as I was requesting my passport back -- maybe a day after. The fellow I spoke with this morning on that EEA helpline appeared flustered himself saying he'd been getting numerous calls about passports not returned since 9am.

Good to know UK authorities can't be taken for their word. Happy to at least have the American embassy respond to my email within an hour explaining how to get an emergency passport in such circumstances -- which they issue within 2 hours. Pretty clear which place I should stick with. Now give me my passport back and let me get out, will ya?
Ahah I just received my passport today !!! So I guess it might be the same for you, you might receive it before the end of the week!!!!!
I think the admin thing is the same everywhere ( eg in France I know it is the same frustration).

Good luck and I hope you receive it in the next few days

hsn86
Turkey

Post by hsn86 » Wed May 25, 2016 1:32 pm

Hi,

Did you get your passport by regular royal mail/signed for 1st, 2nd class /another courier?

Thanks
menie13 wrote:

Ahah I just received my passport today !!! So I guess it might be the same for you, you might receive it before the end of the week!!!!!
I think the admin thing is the same everywhere ( eg in France I know it is the same frustration).

menie13

Post by menie13 » Wed May 25, 2016 1:47 pm

hsn86 wrote:Hi,

Did you get your passport by regular royal mail/signed for 1st, 2nd class /another courier?

Thanks
menie13 wrote:

It was first class recorded you have to sign for it .

KMocha
Newly Registered

Post by KMocha » Wed May 25, 2016 4:20 pm

That is great news, @menie13. Happy you can breathe a sigh of relief.

And it sure gives me hope :)

Yes,it seems bureaucracy is a nightmare everywhere, but this is really the first time I'm finding myself without my passport for this long. Having been given a COA without the right to work in the UK while they process my application, I lined up a job interview back in Spain, which I can't get to! :lol:

I'm sure I'll laugh about this whole thing down the road, but right now, it is not fun.

menie13

Post by menie13 » Thu May 26, 2016 7:05 am

@KMocha yup totally agree with you. I was starting to be worried by the fact I was without ID as you need it for everything. Have you completed the return progress online form? If not you should do it just and let them know again how this is affecting you.
But again fingers crossed you will receive by the end of this week.