ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can we user BRP card after receiving registration Certificat

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

pritony
Newly Registered

Can we user BRP card after receiving registration Certificat

Post by pritony » Mon May 30, 2016 11:05 am

Hi,

I have a query regarding BRP Card status after receiving Registration Certificate.
I am on ILR and planning to apply Registration Certificate ( via NCS ) for my son of age 3 years, who was born in UK and has BRP card.

we are planning to travel India after submision of Biometrics for nealry 3 months. According to present time line, we may receive Registration certificate during our stay in India (approx after one month of bio-metrics). So, He will go india with BRP card (while MN1 application is in process) and will enter UK again after 3 Months with same BRP card (By that time Application process will complete and we may receive Registration Certificate). Is BRP card is still valid??, can my son use it to enter UK this time. (After receiveing Registration Certificate) Once after arrival, we are planning to apply British Passport and further process.

Please let me know if this is OK?

Thanks

noajthan

Re: Can we user BRP card after receiving registration Certif

Post by noajthan » Mon May 30, 2016 11:41 am

See https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-c ... p-ceremony
Once you’ve got your certificate of British citizenship, you must send your biometric residence permit back to the Home Office.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 30, 2016 12:08 pm

You are of course assuming that the application will be processed that quickly. Some UK born child applications have taken 6 months or more.

He should be ok to travel back using his BRP card. You obviously won't know if the Registration certificate has arrived or application approved until you are back.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

pritony
Newly Registered

Post by pritony » Mon May 30, 2016 12:23 pm

Hi CR001, Thank You very much for your information.

In My case:
My wife and my son are travelling to India and i will be here in UK.
So, If Registration document is approved, then it will receive to me where my son will be in India.

In other post: https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-c ... p-ceremony -> i have seen text "You can’t use your biometric residence permit for travel once you’ve become a British citizen."

So, i am bit confused. If my son can use BRP card on arrival or not???? ( If by that time Regristration document is approved)

Also, some body said, that Home Office will put a Invalid flag on existing BRP once Registration document is approved. In that case, Immigartion team at air port will see invalid flag on this BRP. I am not sure if this is valid information.

Please let me know your valid comments.

Thanks

O_Relly

Post by O_Relly » Mon May 30, 2016 1:13 pm

Unfortunately, this isn't as black and white as that.

It is required by one to destroy the BRP card into 2 or 4 pieces and then return it to the Home Office within 5 days of receiving the citizenship certificate, failing which a £1000 fine could be incurred.

See this FAQ,
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 00820.html

So technically, the BRP is expected to be in-valid with immediate effect on obtaining citizenship. However, I have known people who have traveled out and returned within the 3 month with BRP period after receiving the citizenship certificate.

Either this is known by the immigration authorities and not policed or they are lenient as long as it doesn't become habit.

IMHO, the whole point of using NCS is so you can retain your original documents for emergency travel and the NCS staff also advise that you are OK for travel after submission of your MN1 application. So it is reasonable that you (the applicant) were not in the country at the time of receiving the MN1, therefore it is acceptable to return to UK and then destroy and return the BRP in this case.
Cheers,
OR