ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Job opportunitues for an IIT, IIM grad in London?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tulipz
Mood:
United Kingdom

Job opportunitues for an IIT, IIM grad in London?

Post by tulipz » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:49 am

Hi
My husband and I are planning to work in UK for sometime. We are confused about how to go ahead

Background: I am an engg grad, with IT work ex of 4yrs.... Credit cards and Insurance Domain
My husband is an IIT, IIM grad, 3yrs of pre-MBA experience and 1.5 yrs of post mba exp

I work for a reputed IT company and he works for a consulting company
(in India)

Senario:

The current senario is like this:
We plan to go to UK in March-april 2008

My company will most prob sponsor my WP and send me there (80% Sure)
My husbands company is trying...(Only 20% chance)

So, my husband is plannin to take HSMP.

Here are my doubts...please help clarify them

1. My husband has business analyst, project management experience in IT consulting. How easy or difficult will it be to find work in UK for his profile?
2. is it better to apply through a consultant or independently?
3. any leads to a job consultancy placing MBA ppl in permanent roles?
4. I am in hyderbad, any leads to hsmp consultants here?

Thanks,
Tulipz

rsathish

Hiya

Post by rsathish » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:14 pm

Hiya,

See replies below...Hope this answers your PM as well.

1. My husband has business analyst, project management experience in IT consulting. How easy or difficult will it be to find work in UK for his profile?

I think this should be fairly easy, considering his previous edu & exp. His CV must focus on the skillset & UK exp when searching for jobs.

Try cityjobs.co.uk & cwjobs and see the job profiles and requirements.

My personal advice, DON'T go for a consultant. I spent 50k (which was comparitively cheaper to other HSMP consultants) for my initial HSMP approval. Thanks to this board, I knew more than what she knew. So, I decided to file VISA on my own.

I feel the previous posts on this board offers better advise than any Consultant(s).

If you need any help, PM your mail id. I will send all the docs, which I prepared. Your hubby can use that to file his HSMP.

Permanent jobs may take atleast 3 or 4 interviews and consume 1 or 2 months.

I knew a guy who worked as a Temp in IT field and found a permanent role within Accenture in 6 months.

There is also another person with .NET exp, who got a Perm role for 35k in 3 days. So, it all depends.

Try all major High street consultancies. But, they might prefer to see him in person before registering & seeking for jobs.

Also, you might need to provide 5 yrs of employment reference, if he lands up in Financial services or related jobs.

Refer Q2. I felt the same way before I first applied. But, once you receive the approval letter - you will surely feel that this was a easy process and wasn't worth the money at all.
---------------------------------------------

Does anyone wants to add to this or has a different opinion?

Thanks
Sathish

vin123
Member of Standing

Re: Job opportunitues for an IIT, IIM grad in London?

Post by vin123 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:01 pm

It makes sense to come when one of you got a UK assignment in hand and the other comes as a dependent.
Basically, that way you would be able to finance your stay & expenses (very expensive if it is London) while the other look for a job ( as an HSMP or dependent) .

Re: experience, while UK experience is definitely not mandatory for all the jobs, certain sectors still prefer such candidates (best example is banking jobs).
Also, you or your husband might find yourself in a situation where you have to undergo certain sacrifices to get the first break.
For example, if your husband has worked his career path up in India as a Business analyst to Project manager, he may have to part with that and start again in the UK as a Business analyst to gain that 'UK bit' of experience to work it upwards again.
I know this sounds resentment, but there are always pluses and minuses associated with any move....just my thoughts, and hope this helps!.

tulipz wrote:Hi
My husband and I are planning to work in UK for sometime. We are confused about how to go ahead

Background: I am an engg grad, with IT work ex of 4yrs.... Credit cards and Insurance Domain
My husband is an IIT, IIM grad, 3yrs of pre-MBA experience and 1.5 yrs of post mba exp

I work for a reputed IT company and he works for a consulting company
(in India)

Senario:

The current senario is like this:
We plan to go to UK in March-april 2008

My company will most prob sponsor my WP and send me there (80% Sure)
My husbands company is trying...(Only 20% chance)

So, my husband is plannin to take HSMP.

Here are my doubts...please help clarify them

Thanks,
Tulipz