ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Biometrics Letter - in maiden name, not married name

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

shoopshoop
Newly Registered

Biometrics Letter - in maiden name, not married name

Post by shoopshoop » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:52 pm

Just wondering if any other married women could advise if you received your Biometrics letter addressed to you in your maiden name rather than your married name which was the one used as the official name on your application form.

My husband and I applied at the same time via the NCS, individual applications, and have received a joint invoice made out to Mr and Mrs Married Surname which is a little bit reassuring but I'm a bit concerned about my personal biometrics letter only featuring my birth / maiden surname - my NCS meeting raised a few silly issues and I'm bricking it that something equally silly will hold things up.

Noetic
Member of Standing

Re: Biometrics Letter - in maiden name, not married name

Post by Noetic » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:34 pm

What name is the passport or ID in that you used for your application? I believe HO as a rule have to use whatever name is in your ID (the same as in the LITUK certificate), even if you have middle names or a new married name in your application form.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:57 pm

shoopshoop wrote:my NCS meeting raised a few silly issues and I'm bricking it that something equally silly will hold things up.
What 'silly issues' did they raise? If they raised issues, believe me they would not have been 'silly' and for no reason.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

shoopshoop
Newly Registered

Post by shoopshoop » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:40 pm

CR001 wrote:
shoopshoop wrote:my NCS meeting raised a few silly issues and I'm bricking it that something equally silly will hold things up.
What 'silly issues' did they raise? If they raised issues, believe me they would not have been 'silly' and for no reason.
I was without a passport for a couple of months during the 5yr QP, I was giving birth in the local hospital, problem appeared to be solved by going home, rummaging thru paperwork and returning to council office with P60 that covered the 12 mth period that the 2 mth non passport period was during.

I'm an NZ citizen and have been here 14yrs and always with correct visa's, never illegally, no breach of good character etc

Original ancestry visa was in maiden name, then extension..... Just checking my ILR, that was issued in my maiden name, Life in UK test must be in maiden name then surely - I was 3mths married but all passports etc still in maiden name so carried that on for ease. Next passport went to married name but carried marriage certificate plus old passport with ILR and never had any issues. That must be it yes???

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:59 pm

As I said above name will be what it is in your ID, it says so in the guidance from HO. Nothing to worry about. I only noticed my middle name was dropped from my Swiss passport in 2007 because my DCPR was missing the middle name when I got it back. I'd never even noticed before. HO have to issue naturalisation certificate in the same name as your ID.

shoopshoop
Newly Registered

Post by shoopshoop » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:53 pm

That ID being the passport or visa current at the beginning of the QP I guess, rather than the current one. I would much rather my documentation be issued in my current name but so be it.

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:08 pm

shoopshoop wrote:That ID being the passport or visa current at the beginning of the QP I guess, rather than the current one. I would much rather my documentation be issued in my current name but so be it.
Usually the current passport that you used for LITUK, there is a mention of HO expecting you to submit / copy via NCS the same ID document as used in LITUK (presumably so they can find it in their system).

I missed the bit where you mentioned the next passport was in married name, could potentially be a mistake from HO then or related to the requirements of using the same ID as for LITUK (even though your name has since changed!).

shoopshoop
Newly Registered

Post by shoopshoop » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:20 pm

The Post Office today advised NOT to proceed with the Biometric Enrolment until I had clarification from HO regarding which signature to provide... do I sign in my maiden name to match the letter or do I sign in my married name to match the application???????????

I have emailed the Nationality Biometrics email address provided in the letter but feel very nervous with the short time frame we have to work with... I'm a clock watcher at the best of times and i'm feeling rather ill with the worry!!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:59 pm

shoopshoop wrote:The Post Office today advised NOT to proceed with the Biometric Enrolment until I had clarification from HO regarding which signature to provide... do I sign in my maiden name to match the letter or do I sign in my married name to match the application???????????

I have emailed the Nationality Biometrics email address provided in the letter but feel very nervous with the short time frame we have to work with... I'm a clock watcher at the best of times and i'm feeling rather ill with the worry!!
You are right to try to resolve this up front.

If naturalised in the 'wrong name' it will unfortunately open up a world of pain, or at least stress, inconvenience and delay.

See http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 83170.html

Ref : http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 84012.html
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

nathan2
Newly Registered

Post by nathan2 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:19 pm

My wife just got her approval in her married name. We'd updated her Canadian passport to married name (but not BRP) immediately before submitting AN1 form.

Biometrics request came addressed to maiden name, but the receipt for the payment was in the same envelope addressed to married name.

Submitted biometrics, signing as married name. No problems, PO didn't mention anything, and obviously her case worker didn't care :)

Good luck with your application!

shoopshoop
Newly Registered

Post by shoopshoop » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:37 pm

nathan2 wrote:My wife just got her approval in her married name. We'd updated her Canadian passport to married name (but not BRP) immediately before submitting AN1 form.

Biometrics request came addressed to maiden name, but the receipt for the payment was in the same envelope addressed to married name.

Submitted biometrics, signing as married name. No problems, PO didn't mention anything, and obviously her case worker didn't care :)

Good luck with your application!
Oooh this sounds like the same scenario.... current visa in maiden name, current passport in married name, application in married name, biometirics letter in maiden name, official receipt from Home Office in married name... I will wait a little bit to see if I get an official response from the email I sent but I'm feeling confident to sign with my married name - thanks so much nathan2