ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permanent resident and absence from state

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

CheGuevara
- thin ice -
Mood:
Ireland

Permanent resident and absence from state

Post by CheGuevara » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:42 am

Can I be absent from the host state as a permanent resident for more than 6 months, I am a bit confused. Is it 6 months or two years.

secret.simon

Re: Permanent resident and absence from state

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:20 am

Continuity of residence while acquiring Permanent Residence is broken by absence of more than six months.

After acquiring Permanent Residence, it is lost by an absence of two years.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CheGuevara
- thin ice -
Mood:
Ireland

Post by CheGuevara » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:14 pm

secret.simon wrote:Continuity of residence while acquiring Permanent Residence is broken by absence of more than six months.

After acquiring Permanent Residence, it is lost by an absence of two years.
thanks bud, i told the immigration officer that as a permanent resident that i could only loose my residency if i was out of the country by 2 years and he said no that it was only 6 months.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:29 pm

CheGuevara wrote:...

thanks bud, i told the immigration officer that as a permanent resident that i could only loose my residency if i was out of the country by 2 years and he said no that it was only 6 months.
Maybe the 'officer' was actually on her/his way in (or out) of the country on a stag-do?!
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.