ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation absence dates

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ishameeque

Naturalisation absence dates

Post by ishameeque » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:57 pm

In the naturalisation guidance form, This is what is mentioned under the section "EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AREA NATIONALS AND SWISS NATIONALS"
Applicants who have been outside the UK for 6 months or more in any one of the 5 years
residence period will be seen to have ‘broken’ their residence. However, this does not apply in the
following circumstances:
1. Period of absence from the UK due to military service
2. Any one absence from the UK not exceeding 12 months for an important reason such as
pregnancy and childbirth, serious illness, study or vocational training or an overseas
posting.

I told my friend who is away for more than 6 months and going to apply for naturalisation that this does not apply to non-eea nationals and they can be away for more than 6 months in one of the 5 year qualifying period, except the last year (3 months) and well within the 450 days limit?. Was I right in giving him this advice. I do not want him to apply and then lose money because of this. Thanks

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:04 pm

I think you are confusing two separate issues, namely, firstly the conditions for the EEA Citizen to get PR ... Permanent Residence ... status in the UK ..... and secondly the conditions for applying for Naturalisation.
John