ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Biometric enrollment in the United States

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rocco1109
Newly Registered

Biometric enrollment in the United States

Post by rocco1109 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:02 pm

Hi. I am applying for UK citizenship via application UKM (my mother is British). I am located in the United States (Colorado).

I received an email to schedule my biometric enrollment and set an appointment for a center in my metro area.

My appointment was this morning and they would not collect my biometric data because I don't have my passport. My passport was sent to the UK as part of my UKM application.

I have 30 days to send my biometrics in from the date of the biometric request letter. I am now 2 weeks into that 30 day period.

It does not seem plausible that I could request my passport be returned (I don't know how to do that anyway) and set up a new appointment within the next 2 weeks.

Can anyone please advise? I greatly appreciate any and all information. Thank you!

Carolinee
Newly Registered

Re: Biometric enrollment in the United States

Post by Carolinee » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:24 pm

They sent mine back a few days before my appointment. You could probably find out if they sent yours and it hasn't arrived yet?

rocco1109
Newly Registered

Post by rocco1109 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:03 pm

Thanks Carolinee. Did you request that they send your passport back to you? If so, how did you do that? Thanks.

Fulgrun
Newly Registered

Post by Fulgrun » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:09 pm

Ugh. Sounds like I am getting a preview of my upcoming appointment. I also do not have my passport in hand. The appointment letter states very vaguely to bring "original copies of identity documents" but doesn't mention at all what is required (and in fact the prior letter expressly states that a driving license would be sufficient).

Fulgrun
Newly Registered

Post by Fulgrun » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:21 pm

Rocco1109 - Please also keep in mind that the 30 day timeline contemplates 30 working days. You may have more time than you think.

rocco1109
Newly Registered

Post by rocco1109 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:50 pm

Fulgrun wrote:Ugh. Sounds like I am getting a preview of my upcoming appointment. I also do not have my passport in hand. The appointment letter states very vaguely to bring "original copies of identity documents" but doesn't mention at all what is required (and in fact the prior letter expressly states that a driving license would be sufficient).

Yup. My letter said I needed one form of ID and that driving license would suffice. That was wrong.

Mokieleamon
Newly Registered

Post by Mokieleamon » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:14 pm

rocco1109 wrote:
Fulgrun wrote:Ugh. Sounds like I am getting a preview of my upcoming appointment. I also do not have my passport in hand. The appointment letter states very vaguely to bring "original copies of identity documents" but doesn't mention at all what is required (and in fact the prior letter expressly states that a driving license would be sufficient).

Yup. My letter said I needed one form of ID and that driving license would suffice. That was wrong.

That is very weird. I had mine done yesterday and she (the lady who did mine) thought the same thing and she called the New York British Consulate (since they set the appointment) and was told my driver's license was all that they needed. My passport is also still in the UK. I am in Memphis, TN.

Fulgrun
Newly Registered

Post by Fulgrun » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:21 pm

Mokieleamon wrote:
rocco1109 wrote:

That is very weird. I had mine done yesterday and she (the lady who did mine) thought the same thing and she called the New York British Consulate (since they set the appointment) and was told my driver's license was all that they needed. My passport is also still in the UK. I am in Memphis, TN.
Mokieleamon - Thanks for the additional data. I will definitely bring my prior letter to the appointment and point to it. Maybe I will make the suggestion to contact the consulate as was done in your case. I guess I don't feel totally doomed now.

Mokieleamon
Newly Registered

Post by Mokieleamon » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:13 pm

Fulgrun wrote: Mokieleamon - Thanks for the additional data. I will definitely bring my prior letter to the appointment and point to it. Maybe I will make the suggestion to contact the consulate as was done in your case. I guess I don't feel totally doomed now.

I would definitely do that. I made her verify mine because they just started doing biometrics for UKM/UKV and it is a new process and it is up to the Home Office to provide them with details on what they need. I don't get why the US would need our "US" passports for sending biometrics to the UK? Now for applying to citizenship with the US yes but it is the UK who has to approve the application.

rocco1109
Newly Registered

Post by rocco1109 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:31 pm

Mokieleamon wrote:
rocco1109 wrote:

Interesting. When you say she called the British Consulate in NY, how did she know where to call? The manager of my center also called someone in NYC and that person in NYC was the one who insisted that I have my passport. It was not the British consulate but someone in UK immigration. I talked to the guy. He was an American.

Mokieleamon
Newly Registered

Post by Mokieleamon » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:57 am

rocco1109 wrote: Interesting. When you say she called the British Consulate in NY, how did she know where to call? The manager of my center also called someone in NYC and that person in NYC was the one who insisted that I have my passport. It was not the British consulate but someone in UK immigration. I talked to the guy. He was an American.

I have no idea how she knew. When they sent my biometric letter via email on June 2nd they told me to print out all the documents and pick an enrollment center near me. In Memphis we only have one. I printed out the appointment confirmation four days later when they set the appointment for me along with the following (I xxx my info out) and when I got there the lady who was taking my biometrics told me that they have just started doing them and she thought I needed my passport. When I told her the UK had all of my documents she said she was going to call the consulate in NY and verify it. It took about fifteen minutes then she called me back, asked for my id, took my fingerprints and picture (which is sent electronically)and then initialed the form. Then I was on my way. *shrug*

British Citizenship

Appointment Confirmation

Appointment Location:

USCIS Application Support Centre

842 Virginia Run Cove

Memphis,

TN 38122-4419

Appointment Date and Time:

Monday 13th June at 12:00 pm

Your Appointment:

When attending your appointment you must take with you a print out of your appointment

confirmation and original copies of identity documents (unless otherwise agreed with UK Visas &

Immigration).

Your application will not be accepted at any other appointment location. Please arrive 15 minutes

before your scheduled appointment time. Please be aware if you arrive any earlier, you may not be

admitted to the application centre until your allocated appointment time. If you arrive after your

scheduled appointment time, you may be asked to re-book a future appointment.

Name: xxxxxx

Nationality: United States of America

Date of Birth: xxxxxx

Passport Number: xxx

GWF Number: xxxx

rocco1109
Newly Registered

Post by rocco1109 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:39 am

You're lucky. The manager of my center called someone in NYC as well and the NYC person said they MUST have the passport. I got the name/number of the person in NYC and called him myself. He was polite but generally clueless. He wouldn't budge on his position regardless of the evidence I presented. He had no idea about the UKM application, never heard of it. Maybe I need to fly to Memphis :-)

Mokieleamon
Newly Registered

Post by Mokieleamon » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:02 pm

rocco1109 wrote:You're lucky. The manager of my center called someone in NYC as well and the NYC person said they MUST have the passport. I got the name/number of the person in NYC and called him myself. He was polite but generally clueless. He wouldn't budge on his position regardless of the evidence I presented. He had no idea about the UKM application, never heard of it. Maybe I need to fly to Memphis :-)

I just think they are all confused and luckily my appointment went in my favor. The centers have no idea what they are doing and the woman who did mine initialed the form (from the biometrics letter) and asked me what you do with it. LOL

a_powers
United States of America

Post by a_powers » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:39 pm

I completed my Biometrics for form UKM today. I had my passport card since the passport is in the UK. The guy said I did not need the passport. I think as long as you have ID you should be fine.

BritishinBoston
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by BritishinBoston » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:40 pm

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you guys know that I sent in a Notarized copy of my US Passport with my UKM Application. I have received confirmation of receipt of documents, And then a week later I received the Biometric Enrollment email.

I saw a lot of questions from folks who didn't have their passports for Biometric enrollment, so I wanted to let people who are looking at this board in the future know that you don't have to send your hard copy passport. I copied every single page of mine and had it notarized by a notary public at UPS. I hope that helps everyone.