ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation of kids born abroad

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sma_tier1

Naturalisation of kids born abroad

Post by sma_tier1 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:35 pm

HI,

I need your guidance in the below.

Me and my dependents (my wife & 2 daughters[11 years old and 5 years]) got ILR about an year ago after staying in UK for 5 years in Tier1 General category. I am in UK for the past 6 years and my dependents are in UK for the past 4 years 2 months. My daughters were born in India.

I am planning to apply for Naturalization in July first week via NCS.

1. Can I apply naturalization for my 2 daughters at the sametime I apply ?
2. I am using AN application form for myself and MN1 application form for my daughters. Am I correct or is there any family application form for naturalization ?

Thanks in advance.
SMA

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Naturalisation of kids born abroad

Post by ohara » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:39 pm

There is no family application any more, you must all use separate forms, as you have correctly stated AN for adults and MN1 for minors. The children will be applying under section 3(1). By the way, the process of gaining citizenship for minors is known as 'registration'. It is only adults who naturalise.

As long as you are all on ILR for at least 12 months, yes you can apply at the same time.

Ps. it's going to be an expensive day for you! £1236 x2 for AN, £936 x2 for MN1, and that's assuming you don't even use NCS!

sma_tier1

Post by sma_tier1 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:05 am

Thanks Ohara for your detailed reply. Much appreciated.

Yes it is going to be a expensive day for me....and I have gone for NCS too :)

I am not going for naturalisation of my wife since she has lived in UK for 4.2 years only. I thought she can go for naturalisation as spouse of British Citizen after I get naturalised OR she wait till she completes 5 years in UK. Am I correct Or can she apply for her naturalisation along with me now ?

Thanks,
SMA

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:51 pm

sma_tier1 wrote:can she apply for her naturalisation along with me now
Risky.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:13 pm

sma_tier1 wrote:I thought she can go for naturalisation as spouse of British Citizen after I get naturalised OR she wait till she completes 5 years in UK. Am I correct Or can she apply for her naturalisation along with me now ?

Thanks,
SMA

I apologise for missing the part where you said your wife had only been here for 4.2 years.

I don't believe your wife can apply as the spouse of a British citizen as at the time of application, you will not be a British citizen. It's your gamble to make - £1236 - if you don't care about potentially losing the fee then go for it.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:31 pm

sma_tier1 wrote:Thanks Ohara for your detailed reply. Much appreciated.

I am not going for naturalisation of my wife since she has lived in UK for 4.2 years only. I thought she can go for naturalisation as spouse of British Citizen after I get naturalised OR she wait till she completes 5 years in UK. Am I correct Or can she apply for her naturalisation along with me now ?

Thanks,
SMA
Pointless wife applying now; she faces instant refusal.

Once you have successfully naturalised wife can apply as spouse of BC with 3 years residence in UK under her belt.

And by the time you are approved (if you are successful) wife will probably have been in UK 5 years anyway;
if so she so could apply in own right if she wishes to.

This assumes all other requirement for privilege of citizenship have been/can be met.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

sma_tier1

Post by sma_tier1 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:08 pm

Thanks vinny for your reply

sma_tier1

Post by sma_tier1 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:10 pm

ohara wrote:
sma_tier1 wrote:I thought she can go for naturalisation as spouse of British Citizen after I get naturalised OR she wait till she completes 5 years in UK. Am I correct Or can she apply for her naturalisation along with me now ?

Thanks,
SMA

I apologise for missing the part where you said your wife had only been here for 4.2 years.

I don't believe your wife can apply as the spouse of a British citizen as at the time of application, you will not be a British citizen. It's your gamble to make - £1236 - if you don't care about potentially losing the fee then go for it.

Thanks again ohara for your reply

sma_tier1

Post by sma_tier1 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:11 pm

noajthan wrote:
sma_tier1 wrote:Thanks Ohara for your detailed reply. Much appreciated.

Thanks,
SMA
Pointless wife applying now; she faces instant refusal.

Once you have successfully naturalised wife can apply as spouse of BC with 3 years residence in UK under her belt.

And by the time you are approved (if you are successful) wife will probably have been in UK 5 years anyway;
if so she so could apply in own right if she wishes to.

This assumes all other requirement for privilege of citizenship have been/can be met.

Thanks noajthan for your reply.