ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child Born Outside First British Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

DKSin
Newly Registered

Child Born Outside First British Passport

Post by DKSin » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:13 pm

This is my friends situation. Would like your advice if possible.

Father: British (Naturalised, previously Indian)
Mother: Indian, never been to the UK
Child: Born in April 2016 after father's naturalisation. Born in Nepal (British by descent) and living with mother in Nepal.

Parents are not married.

Father lives/work in the UK. Mother and child in Nepal at the moment.

Can the father apply for the child's British passport from inside the UK?

If YES, since they are not married will he be able to prove that he has parental responsibility to sign the application?

He has spoken to Passport people and solicitors and they reckon he can but I disagree. May be I am wrong. Any ideas folks?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Child Born Outside First British Passport

Post by CR001 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:58 am

HMPO tends to ask unmarried fathers of 'British' children for DNA proof that they are in fact the actual father.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:22 pm

Children born after 1st July 2006 to unmarried parents can claim British citizenship through the father, if the father is a British citizen at the time of birth. There is a requirement that the mother also not be in a marriage with another person at the time of the child's birth.

Children born after 10th September 2015 must also have a DNA paternity test done to prove the paternity of the British citizen.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

DKSin
Newly Registered

Post by DKSin » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:58 pm

Ta.

The child is in Nepal and the father is in the UK at the moment.

What should be the next step for him to get a British passport for the child? Providing a DNA report is available.

Although I am not sure this is going to be possible since all the approved test centres are based in the UK.