ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI - Indian origin documents - Query

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

SumitP
Newly Registered
India

OCI - Indian origin documents - Query

Post by SumitP » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:42 pm

Hello - I've just had my British passport interview and expect to receive the passport some time next week. I will be surrendering my India passport in coming days to secure the surrender certificate.

I have a question on the India origin documents required for OCI. The VFS website says that either of domicile certificate OR birth certificate OR school leaving certificate OR farming land ownership certificate are required for proving Indian origin.

But the description of this requirement is confusing. If either of these documents are original, do we have to have it certified by authorities like District magistrate or district collector? Or this certification is required only on post dated copies of these certificates in cases where original was not available and post dated copies were taken?

Thanks.

david1955
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Re: OCI - Indian origin documents - Query

Post by david1955 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:28 am

SumitP wrote:Hello - I've just had my British passport interview and expect to receive the passport some time next week. I will be surrendering my India passport in coming days to secure the surrender certificate.

I have a question on the India origin documents required for OCI. The VFS website says that either of domicile certificate OR birth certificate OR school leaving certificate OR farming land ownership certificate are required for proving Indian origin.

But the description of this requirement is confusing. If either of these documents are original, do we have to have it certified by authorities like District magistrate or district collector? Or this certification is required only on post dated copies of these certificates in cases where original was not available and post dated copies were taken?

Thanks.
You don't need this document if you have held an Indian passport and thus you have a surrender certificate.

You need this document only when you never held an Indian passport and has traveled on parents Indian passport.

In your case surrender certificate with a copy of you Indian passport should suffice the requirement of Indian origin.

tamilmaran
- thin ice -

Post by tamilmaran » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:38 am

Thanks.[/quote]

You don't need this document if you have held an Indian passport and thus you have a surrender certificate.

You need this document only when you never held an Indian passport and has traveled on parents Indian passport.

In your case surrender certificate with a copy of you Indian passport should suffice the requirement of Indian origin.[/quote]

Hi , I do have the same doubt. No where I could see it is mentioned that Indian Passport is sufficient. ( Those genius were asking for cancelled passport copy after producing surrender certificate for applying VISA )
Please update BC timeline in google docs https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... li=1#gid=0

I am another user just like you.....!!
===TAMILMARAN===

SumitP
Newly Registered
India

Post by SumitP » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:09 pm

Thanks for the replies. I have read the documentary requirements again and it makes more sense now. The requirements state below and based on this, it appears that the documents to prove India origin are required only if the OCI applicant does not hold Indian passport and had traveled to the UK on parents' passport. In which case, one of below documents and an affidavit are the requirements. I will be calling the consular office (if they are reachable for answering questions ) and will ask this just to be sure.

Excerpts from VFS website, documents required section:

Applicants who were born in India and never held Indian passport, and travelled on parents Indian Passports, are required to submit a notary affidavit in original from UK stating the fact and how they travelled to UK along with other necessary documents as mentioned below.
Other necessary documents of Indian origin.

Domicile certificate (in original)

OR
Original Birth Certificate issued from Indian Municipality or Panchayat. Recently issued birth Certificate (Post-dated birth certificates) from Municipality/Panchayat etc. This should be duly certified by the District Magistrate/District Collector of the area, with name, stamp, seal and contact telephone numbers with area code for verification.

OR
School Leaving Certificate (in original). Post-dated School Certificate/School Leaving Certificate from India should be authenticated by Director of Education/District Magistrate/District Collector of the area with name, stamp, seal and contact telephone numbers with area code for verification

OR
Agriculture land documents.