ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child Benefit Date

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sancha

Child Benefit Date

Post by sancha » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:00 pm

I got ILR last year (2015) My wife and kids got ILR this month. I think I can claim CB now. My questions are:
If I claim CB now would it affect my naturalisation/BC?
CB start date would be kids ILR date on their biometric- is it correct? (there is nothing in the form to mentioned CB start date and I do not want to claim CB for the kids before their ILR as they were subject to condition "NO recourse of public fund"
Can I send photocopy of kid's birth certificates and passport as I am moving home in 2 weeks time and do not want to lost my docs in post?
Thanks for reading and reply the above question.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Child Benefit Date

Post by CR001 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:21 pm

sancha wrote:I got ILR last year (2015) My wife and kids got ILR this month. I think I can claim CB now. My questions are:

If I claim CB now would it affect my naturalisation/BC? No it will not affect your BC application.

CB start date would be kids ILR date on their biometric- is it correct? (there is nothing in the form to mentioned CB start date and I do not want to claim CB for the kids before their ILR as they were subject to condition "NO recourse of public fund" Children don't claim, the parent claims. You could have claimed already from 2015 when you got ILR. You could have claimed even if the children did not have ILR.

Can I send photocopy of kid's birth certificates and passport as I am moving home in 2 weeks time and do not want to lost my docs in post?
Thanks for reading and reply the above question. No, you have to send originals. Suggest wait till you have moved before applying then.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sancha

Post by sancha » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:56 pm

Thanks CR001,
I just sent off CB application right now filling both my current address and also moving address in address slip.
I think I will not be able to claim from 2015 as their web site state "CB can be claimed back 3 months. There was no place in the form to specify the date of CB claim - any idea how to claim CB in back 3months date?

Can I claim child tax credit as well (not sure what is it and whether we can be eligible or not based on our salary - will google it and search it if you have a useful link that would be helpful)
Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:01 pm

CB might automatically be backdated as you have held ILR for longer than the last 3 months.

The link below is the benefit calculator which can give you an idea of what you could claim. I don't know what your income is so cannot comment. Select you are 'British' to go through the calculator.

http://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou

Tax credits MUST be claimed in JOINT names with your spouse if you qualify for them.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:52 am

sancha wrote:Thanks CR001,

Can I claim child tax credit as well (not sure what is it and whether we can be eligible or not based on our salary - will google it and search it if you have a useful link that would be helpful)
Regards
Tax Credits is based on the last tax years salary of you and your wife, and then a 2.5k disregard based on this years salary. i.e.
earn 20k jointly last year and expect to earn 16k jointly this year, the Tax Credit claim is based on earnings of 18.6 for this year.
earn 20k jointly last year and expect to earn 24k this year, the Tax Credit claim is based on earnings of 22.5K this year.

As a rough guide, under present rules, the poverty line is set at about 26k for one child, about 31k for two children and 36k for 3 children.

If you are in an area where the new welfare payment Universal Credit is already in, then there are different rules and benefit claims will have to made every month. Tax Credits is one of the income based benefits that UC is replacing.

Just be aware that:

from April 2016, Tax Credit is one of the benefits that have been frozen for 4 years.

From April 17
the amount paid to Tax Credits claimants will be reduced
exisiting Tax Credits claimants will start to be moved to UC, which has tougher work requirement rules for the parents and can be less money given.
the 2 child limit for Tax Credit/Universal Crerdit claimants starts, with some transitional protection for existing claimants and any children on their claim before April 2017.

sancha

Post by sancha » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:54 pm

Joint income last year £32k current year £52k - will we be qualify for tax credit?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:58 pm

sancha wrote:Joint income last year £32k current year £52k - will we be qualify for tax credit?
Unlikely that you will qualify for tax credits as you are on a high salary. At over £50k income, you might not qualify for child benefit either.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:05 pm

CR001 wrote:
sancha wrote:Joint income last year £32k current year £52k - will we be qualify for tax credit?
Unlikely that you will qualify for tax credits as you are on a high salary. At over £50k income, you might not qualify for child benefit either.
I believe the current threshold is for individual earnings of £50,000 for CB.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

sancha

Post by sancha » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:16 pm

Yes £50k for individual in the form I sent off so I may get CB

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:07 pm

sancha wrote:Yes £50k for individual in the form I sent off so I may get CB
Is your wife working? If not, as she has ILR you can put the CB in her name as this will give her a credit towards her UK state pension (as she isn't working). The 50k+ earner will have to complete a SA with HMRC every year to pay back a portion/all of the CB payments, but the non working parent will keep the National Insurance credit for a state pension.