ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Italian citizenship through marriage in UK - Help!

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Random627
Newly Registered

Italian citizenship through marriage in UK - Help!

Post by Random627 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:17 pm

Hi really hoping someone can shed some light here:

Me- UK born UK national
Wife- UK born to Italian parents, holds only Italian passport

I want to apply for (dual) Italian citizenship through marriage and think I've managed to wade through the myriad of documents the Italian consulate in London seem to want. The one I'm struggling with is they request "applicants UK resident permit issued by the UK home office". Is this a) necessary and b) something I can actually obtain as a UK national & resident?

Also despite us having been married in UK they also want the 'estratto per riassunto dell'atto matrimonio ' is this just a case of registering the marriage with the UK italian consulate ?

Really grateful for any advice here as I just know I'll end up making a mistake in the application!

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Italian citizenship through marriage in UK - Help!

Post by Casa » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:26 pm

Random627 wrote:Hi really hoping someone can shed some light here:

Me- UK born UK national

I want to apply for (dual) Italian citizenship through marriage and think I've managed to wade through the myriad of documents the Italian consulate in London seem to want. The one I'm struggling with is they request "applicants UK resident permit issued by the UK home office". Is this a) necessary and b) something I can actually obtain as a UK national & resident? You can't be issued with a UK resident permit as you're not considered to be an EEA national in the UK.

Also despite us having been married in UK they also want the 'estratto per riassunto dell'atto matrimonio ' is this just a case of registering the marriage with the UK italian consulate ? The marriage has to be registered with the Italian authorities. The Italian Consulate in London will be able to confirm where this can be done.

Really grateful for any advice here as I just know I'll end up making a mistake in the application!
Where are you both living at present and how long have you been married?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

random762
Newly Registered

Post by random762 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:47 pm

Casa wrote:
Random627 wrote:Hi really hoping someone can shed some light here:

Me- UK born UK national

I want to apply for (dual) Italian citizenship through marriage and think I've managed to wade through the myriad of documents the Italian consulate in London seem to want. The one I'm struggling with is they request "applicants UK resident permit issued by the UK home office". Is this a) necessary and b) something I can actually obtain as a UK national & resident? You can't be issued with a UK resident permit as you're not considered to be an EEA national in the UK.

Also despite us having been married in UK they also want the 'estratto per riassunto dell'atto matrimonio ' is this just a case of registering the marriage with the UK italian consulate ? The marriage has to be registered with the Italian authorities. The Italian Consulate in London will be able to confirm where this can be done.

Where are you both living at present and how long have you been married?
UK. Married for a year (I know it has to be 1.5 minimum if you have a child)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:55 pm

My understand was that you would only qualify if married and living in Italy for 2 years, or 3 years if living outside of the country. Perhaps something has changed?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

cinnamon
Newly Registered

Post by cinnamon » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:45 pm

The time is halved if the couple have a child.

Elliotb
Newly Registered

Post by Elliotb » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:39 am

Hi

Sorry, have come late to this one but maybe we could help each other...

I am a UK citizen married since 2009 to an Italian citizen. Not sure myself if we need the UK resident permit - I suspect not.

The 'estratto per riassunto...' seems quite tricky in that you have to register your UK civil certificate with the local Italian consulate who then take up to six months to send it to the local Italian Commune (in our case Milan) for registration who in turn take up to 6 months to return it to London with the estratto.

Can I ask how your application is proceeding?

Bw
Brent

RoseV
Newly Registered

Post by RoseV » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:50 pm

Hi Brent,

I have just applied through London as well and am waiting to hear back.

Our commune is also Milan.

I got the 'estratto per riassunto dell'atto matrimonio' by contacting Milan directly by email. I think I hit lucky by finding someone who agreed to post it out to me.

And no, as a UK national I believe that we don't need a residence permit as we already have the right to live here.

Good luck!

Rose