ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Comprehensive scikeness insurance for time as a student?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rexmedorum
Newly Registered

Comprehensive scikeness insurance for time as a student?

Post by rexmedorum » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:56 pm

Due to the Brexit I'm looking to apply for the EEA Permanent Residence Card. I have the registration document which I applied for in 2011 as we read that applying for this together with my wife's spouse of EEA card would speed things up (she now has ILR under the 10 year rule).

Looking at the application form I am asked to provide details of comprehensive sickness insurance for the time I was a student.
I was a student from 2006 - 2010 and never got any private health insurance. It didn't seem to matter for the registration document. From 201 till now I have worked without gaps.

What do I fill in on this form?
By the way does anyone know if the PR is likely to be honoured? I looked into ILR but I can’t provide the evidence they want due to not having needed visas.

noajthan

Re: Comprehensive scikeness insurance for time as a student?

Post by noajthan » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:13 am

rexmedorum wrote:Due to the Brexit I'm looking to apply for the EEA Permanent Residence Card. I have the registration document which I applied for in 2011 as we read that applying for this together with my wife's spouse of EEA card would speed things up (she now has ILR under the 10 year rule).

Looking at the application form I am asked to provide details of comprehensive sickness insurance for the time I was a student.
I was a student from 2006 - 2010 and never got any private health insurance. It didn't seem to matter for the registration document. From 201 till now I have worked without gaps.

What do I fill in on this form?
By the way does anyone know if the PR is likely to be honoured? I looked into ILR but I can’t provide the evidence they want due to not having needed visas.
Welcome back.

If you mean you have a RC dating from June 2011 or earlier then congratulations on your foresight.
That is your Willie Wonka golden ticket that exempts you from having to show you had CSI in place.
It means your carefree student years can be counted towards acquiring PR.

See https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... issued.pdf

:idea: Quote that transitional arrangement in a cogent cover letter with your application so that caseworker 'gets it'.

You can't get ILR as you have not followed the UK migration trajectory (with leave to remain in UK & etc).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

rexmedorum
Newly Registered

Post by rexmedorum » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:27 am

It's dated Nov2011 though I may have applied by June I can't quite remember.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:43 am

rexmedorum wrote:It's dated Nov2011 though I may have applied by June I can't quite remember.
That's too late then.
So if you didn't have CSI (or, at a pinch, a foreign EHIC) your student years won't count towards acquiring PR.

It seems only your subsequent years as a worker can be counted.

As per doc linked above:
... an application for permanent residence as a student will not be refused solely on the grounds that there is no evidence of comprehensive sickness insurance on the date of decision where UKBA issued a registration certificate to the applicant on the basis of their residence in the UK as a student before 20th June 2011
If an applicant does not fall within the transitional arrangements outlined above and they cannot provide evidence that they possess comprehensive sickness insurance, then the application must be refused.

rexmedorum
Newly Registered

Post by rexmedorum » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:55 am

noajthan wrote:
It seems only your subsequent years as a worker can be counted.

Given that it's nov 2011 that will be 5 years in Nov 2016 (Well before the Brexit will actually happen from what it looks like).

So I should be ok to apply at that point without CSI? What would i fill in on the form any idea?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:04 am

rexmedorum wrote:Given that it's nov 2011 that will be 5 years in Nov 2016 (Well before the Brexit will actually happen from what it looks like).

So I should be ok to apply at that point without CSI? What would i fill in on the form any idea?
Fill in your timeline and various activities.
Where it asks for dates as a student and whether you had CSI you have to state you didn't have any. So that period will fail the PR clock test.
There's no other penalty, no SWAT team is going to come smashing down your front door.

Your work years won't fail the test.

rexmedorum
Newly Registered

Post by rexmedorum » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:12 am

noajthan wrote:
rexmedorum wrote:Given that it's nov 2011 that will be 5 years in Nov 2016 (Well before the Brexit will actually happen from what it looks like).

Fill in your timeline and various activities.
Where it asks for dates as a student and whether you had CSI you have to state you didn't have any. So that period will fail the PR clock test.
There's no other penalty, no SWAT team is going to come smashing down your front door.

Your work years won't fail the test.
Great many thanks!

I just remembered I was also employed part-time at the university on a 0 hours bases (some months 0 hours some months more) doing Teaching Assitance work. I don't suppose that would count for anything? I don't think I have the proof I'd have to go back and request it.

In the mean time I'll need to renew my national ID card (expiring soon) so that I can send that and keep my passport for work travel. I'm guessing it's going to take a while as they will surely be inundated.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:17 am

rexmedorum wrote:Great many thanks!

I just remembered I was also employed part-time at the university on a 0 hours bases (some months 0 hours some months more) doing Teaching Assitance work. I don't suppose that would count for anything? I don't think I have the proof I'd have to go back and request it.

In the mean time I'll need to renew my national ID card (expiring soon) so that I can send that and keep my passport for work travel. I'm guessing it's going to take a while as they will surely be inundated.
Work has to be genuine and effective as per EU law. With supporting evidence. (Did I link the qualified person PDF for you?).

Note You can also request documents back from HO a few weeks after filing the application.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:18 am

Ref: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _clean.pdf
- see sections on students, workers & assessing work.

rexmedorum
Newly Registered

Post by rexmedorum » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:16 pm

noajthan wrote:Ref: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _clean.pdf
- see sections on students, workers & assessing work.

Hhm I have some payslips but no contract and it's rather eratic so I guess not.
Is there way way of getting CSI retrospectively? I guess not?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:18 pm

rexmedorum wrote:Hhm I have some payslips but no contract and it's rather eratic so I guess not.
Is there way way of getting CSI retrospectively? I guess not?
No, insurance can't be backdated.

What's that card you mentioned, is it a RC?
- issued in/before 2011?

rexmedorum
Newly Registered

Post by rexmedorum » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:26 pm

noajthan wrote: No, insurance can't be backdated.

What's that card you mentioned, is it a RC?
- issued in/before 2011?
RC issues Nov 2011 although I just remembered I have actually been working from 1 April 2010 (regular full-time job). Could I apply before nov? SO before it's 5 years since registering (but more than 5 years after starting full-time work continues though with 3 different employers)

Slight Issue is my ID card expires in Nov as well. I suppose the ID card needs to be valid for the whole time?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:31 pm

rexmedorum wrote:RC issues Nov 2011 although I just remembered I have actually been working from 1 April 2010 (regular full-time job). Could I apply before nov? SO before it's 5 years since registering (but more than 5 years after starting full-time work continues though with 3 different employers)

Slight Issue is my ID card expires in Nov as well. I suppose the ID card needs to be valid for the whole time?
To benefit from the transitional arrangement (details in a link above) the RC had to have been issued in/before June 2011.
So that option won't fly as an alternative to student CSI.

The card is not a visa (its just a confirmatory document ie to confirm your status - not grant it) so it doesn't really matter if it expires now.

rexmedorum
Newly Registered

Post by rexmedorum » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:52 pm

noajthan wrote:
rexmedorum wrote:RC issues Nov 2011 although I just remembered I have actually been working from 1 April 2010 (regular full-time job). Could I apply before nov? SO before it's 5 years since registering (but more than 5 years after starting full-time work continues though with 3 different employers)

To benefit from the transitional arrangement (details in a link above) the RC had to have been issued in/before June 2011.
So that option won't fly as an alternative to student CSI.

The card is not a visa (its just a confirmatory document ie to confirm your status - not grant it) so it doesn't really matter if it expires now.
You mean my EU National ID card would be ok even if it expires some way into the application process?

As as for CSI: I get it but what I mean is: do I need to wait till it's 5 years since registering for the RC, or can I apply now given I have been working since April 2010 and use that?

rexmedorum
Newly Registered

EEA PR - need to proof activity before qualifying period?

Post by rexmedorum » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:13 pm

I'm applying for PR. I entered as a student in 2006 and did not have comprehensive sickness insurance (CSI) but have worked since April 2010.

How do I fill in the form? I will say I entered in oct 2006 and under what I was doing I will list studying but do I require the evidence from the university considering that this is before my 5 year period started?

noajthan

Re: EEA PR - need to proof activity before qualifying period

Post by noajthan » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:16 pm

rexmedorum wrote:I'm applying for PR. I entered as a student in 2006 and did not have comprehensive sickness insurance (CSI) but have worked since April 2010.

How do I fill in the form? I will say I entered in oct 2006 and under what I was doing I will list studying but do I require the evidence from the university considering that this is before my 5 year period started?
Fill in the form itemising the details as requested in each section for each category of activity: study, work & etc.
Caseworker will assess and weigh up your case to see if you have acquired PR. They will disregard non-qualifying information but not punish you for it.
You can add a cogent cover letter pointing out what you think is the qualifying period if you wish.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:19 pm

rexmedorum wrote:You mean my EU National ID card would be ok even if it expires some way into the application process?

As as for CSI: I get it but what I mean is: do I need to wait till it's 5 years since registering for the RC, or can I apply now given I have been working since April 2010 and use that?
Ah, you mean id is expiring; well If valid when you apply it should be acceptable.

The date of RC is almost irrelevant, its just a confirmatory document.
Use fifth anniversary of exercising treaty rights.

rexmedorum
Newly Registered

Post by rexmedorum » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:34 pm

noajthan wrote:
rexmedorum wrote:You mean my EU National ID card would be ok even if it expires some way into the application process?

Ah, you mean id is expiring; well If valid when you apply it should be acceptable.

The date of RC is almost irrelevant, its just a confirmatory document.
Use fifth anniversary of exercising treaty rights.
Cheers I managed to get a lightning quick appointment at my embassy (this Saturday... normally it takes ages) so the 2 to 3 weeks it'll take gives me time to pull all documents together.

The form asks for activity in the UK since entering, so I will list everything. Do I need to provide evidence non the less or will I simply not provide any evidence? I mean it's not too hard just to get a confirmation letter I suppose.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:37 pm

rexmedorum wrote:Cheers I managed to get a lightning quick appointment at my embassy (this Saturday... normally it takes ages) so the 2 to 3 weeks it'll take gives me time to pull all documents together.

The form asks for activity in the UK since entering, so I will list everything. Do I need to provide evidence non the less or will I simply not provide any evidence? I mean it's not too hard just to get a confirmation letter I suppose.
Not sure what you mean. What's the appointment for? Renewal of id or ??

And what is the covering letter about?

rexmedorum
Newly Registered

Post by rexmedorum » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:01 pm

noajthan wrote:
rexmedorum wrote:Cheers I managed to get a lightning quick appointment at my embassy (this Saturday... normally it takes ages) so the 2 to 3 weeks it'll take gives me time to pull all documents together.

Not sure what you mean. What's the appointment for? Renewal of id or ??

And what is the covering letter about?
Never mind appointment is for ID card renewal

What I really wanted to know is:
- do I list all my activities?
- do I provide any proof for the study before the qualifying period?
- I have worked 6 years do I proof all 6 or should I focus on 5 of them?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:09 pm

rexmedorum wrote:Never mind appointment is for ID card renewal

What I really wanted to know is:
- do I list all my activities?
- do I provide any proof for the study before the qualifying period?
- I have worked 6 years do I proof all 6 or should I focus on 5 of them?
Yes, list all.
Provide all proofs you have.

If you have 6 years evidence provide the 6 years documents.
Let the caseworker do their work and weigh and assess the evidence you submit.