ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Today:changes to the system managing highly-skilled migrants

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jd007
Newly Registered

Today:changes to the system managing highly-skilled migrants

Post by jd007 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:36 am

The Home Secretary is today (05-12-2007) expected to announce changes to the system managing highly-skilled migrants from outside the EU.
English-speakers will score highly.Jacqui Smith is set to bring in a points-based system that will reward those work permit applicants with degrees, experience and an ability to speak english.

The scheme, already announced in this year's Queen's Speech, will make it easier for them to enter the UK and remain here.

Gordon Brown has previously spoken of his desire to see english-speakers, and those who participate in community service, rewarded.

But although the details have not yet been released, pressure groups and businessmen have already criticised the government initiative

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,, ... 92,00.html

briboy15
Newly Registered

Post by briboy15 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:52 am

I'll be attending the lecture at LSE first hand. I'll make sure to represent the board well :)

Bhumi

Post by Bhumi » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:06 pm

briboy15 wrote:I'll be attending the lecture at LSE first hand. I'll make sure to represent the board well :)
hi briboy,

Any updates on what was discussed.

Thansk,
BHumi

suresh-hsmp

Post by suresh-hsmp » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:37 pm

the lecture is scheduled at 3 --4pm till then hold on

smiley82
Newly Registered

Immigration point system unveiled

Post by smiley82 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:10 pm

http://www.epolitix.com/EN/News/200712/ ... 956b68.htm

Immigration point system unveiled
The government has announced plans to introduce a points-based immigration system for foreign workers.

Home secretary Jacqui Smith set out measures to reduce immigration, by awarding points to non-EU citizens applying for the right to work in the UK.

The new system will begin for some highly-skilled workers in less than 100 days.

It will see points given to applicants based on a variety of factors, including their age, qualifications and language skills.

Immigration minister Liam Byrne said the points system would not be introduced for low-skilled migrants from outside the EU "for the foreseeable future".

"These are the biggest changes to the immigration system in its history," the minister said.

"We did not expect that reform would be pain free."

Byrne said immigration policy was based solely on the interests of business, but also "in Britain's national interest".

"We will continue to listen to the voice of British business but we are trying to strike the right balance on immigration policy while we listen to the evidence," he said.

Tests
Smith also unveiled proposals to introduce compulsory English tests for foreign nationals wanting to come to the UK.

The government is publishing a consultation paper on whether people who want to come to Britain as a spouse should take a written or oral exam.

It would affect more than 40,000 people and apply to anyone wanting to marry a British citizen.

"We are underlining how important we see command of the English language," said Mr Byrne.

He said countries such as Holland had "already introduced similar provisions", adding: "There are something like 47,000 foreign spouses who came to the UK last year.

"Therefore, if we are serious about English, shouldn't we give these individuals a flying start in the UK by asking them to speak English from the day they arrive.

"The question we are asking is 'shouldn't there be a requirement to speak the language from day one?'"

smiley82
Newly Registered

Post by smiley82 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:19 pm

Also something interesting I found (not released today though):

United Kingdom: Time Frame For Points Based System Launch

Article by Caron Pope, Sarah Keeley and Emily Pope

Immigration Minister Liam Byrne has announced that Tier 1 of the new Points Based System for immigration will "go live" on 4 March 2008.

Tier 1, for the highly skilled, will initially be piloted in the US and India for a three month period and will subsequently be rolled out worldwide. Tier 2, for skilled workers with a job offer, will be launched in the third quarter of 2008.

http://www.mondaq.com/article.asp?articleid=53816

smiley82
Newly Registered

Post by smiley82 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:30 pm

And finally:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7129187.stm

Sorry for the multiple postings, but I think they all contain valuable information.

So.....any comments?

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:01 pm

Yeah, I've got a comment....

If the BBC figures are correct, then the new 'Tier 1' system for highly skilled graduates....is EXACTLY THE SAME as the current points assessment for HSMP!!!!

What a bloody joke!

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

ex123
Newly Registered

Post by ex123 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:05 pm

I am qualified under the new point-base scheme for Tier 1, which is allowed to get ILR after two years, according to previous Government's announcement.

However, as I am a HSMP 1+3 holder already, I still need to apply for further extension to make up 5 years in total for ILR.

That is unfair. I think current HSMP holder should be allowed for ILR after 2 years if they are qualified for the new Tier 1.

kck9
BANNED

Post by kck9 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:10 pm

VictoriaS wrote:Yeah, I've got a comment....

If the BBC figures are correct, then the new 'Tier 1' system for highly skilled graduates....is EXACTLY THE SAME as the current points assessment for HSMP!!!!

What a bloody joke!

Victoria
This is already expected Victoria. Only other issue i can expect is they might make English test as compulsory instead of accepting letter from University etc.........just an assumption.....but not sure......

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:10 pm

ex123 wrote:I am qualified under the new point-base scheme for Tier 1, which is allowed to get ILR after two years, according to previous Government's announcement.

However, as I am a HSMP 1+3 holder already, I still need to apply for further extension to make up 5 years in total for ILR.

That is unfair. I think current HSMP holder should be allowed for ILR after 2 years if they are qualified for the new Tier 1.
I dont think it s 2year, it is still 5 years?

suresh-hsmp

Post by suresh-hsmp » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:11 pm

what bbc is telling is indeed right, have a look at this doc

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/6353/a ... intent.pdf

MrBaboo

Post by MrBaboo » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:27 pm

SYH wrote:
ex123 wrote:I am qualified under the new point-base scheme for Tier 1, which is allowed to get ILR after two years, according to previous Government's announcement.

I dont think it s 2year, it is still 5 years?
Today's Home Office Statement of Intent for Tier 1 mentions 5, not 2, years required in Highly Skilled or Skilled tiers for settlement so SYH is correct.

briboy15
Newly Registered

Post by briboy15 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:30 pm

Hi all -- I just got out of the lecture. I'll write more later this evening. I tried to ask a specific question to their new tier 1 - highly skilled workers, but unfortunately, they didn't call on me.

MrBaboo

Post by MrBaboo » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:32 pm

kck9 wrote:
VictoriaS wrote:Yeah, I've got a comment....

What a bloody joke!

Victoria
This is already expected Victoria. Only other issue i can expect is they might make English test as compulsory instead of accepting letter from University etc.........just an assumption.....but not sure......
From today's Home Office Statement of Intent:
Applicants will need to prove their competence in
English language by proving they:

Have passed a test in English equivalent to level
C1 of the Council of Europe’s Common European
Framework for Language Learning (equivalent to a
grade C or above at GCSE), or

Come from a majority English speaking country, or

Have taken a degree taught in English (verified
using National Academic Recognition Information
Centre7 data).
Majority English speaking countries were defined as:
Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, New Zealand, St
Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, the USA.

hsmp2010

new system

Post by hsmp2010 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:34 pm

I read whole paper and there is still 5 years requirement for settlement. not 2 years.
its also stated that if they have shown english laguage competancy b4 then no need to show it again at the time of extension.
Stilll university letter will be accepted.
English test is not compulsary

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:35 pm

They seem to have clarified a lot, such as language and maintenence. But what is IELTS equivalent of GCSE english grade C?

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

smiley82
Newly Registered

Post by smiley82 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:36 pm

Page 16: Switching wile in the UK into or out of a Highly Skilled Category

'People with leave as Working Holidaymakers.... will not be able to swtich into any highly skilled sub-category'

So looks like the consensus on this may have been correct after all....no more FLR for the WHV?

hsmp2010

new system

Post by hsmp2010 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:38 pm

according to this paper initial leave will be for 3 years after then 2 years.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:38 pm

Ah. Say bye bye to the 10 year long residence maybe? (as if we didn't know that!).

I am reading this in bits, so will add more as I get through it, but I think it is a good idea to keep everythink in one thread, and maybe sticky it?

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

Hiro
Newly Registered

Re: new system

Post by Hiro » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:50 pm

This means that for those on a current 2 year HSMP visa will get an extension for only 2 years and need to apply again for an extra year to be eligible for ILR (2+2+1 for ILR). They should have reciprocated and also made it 2+3 as it will be for 2008 applicants who will get 3+2...

It now makes sense when the rumours said that tier one category will be eligible for ILR after 2 years (2 years after completing the initial 3 years).

hsmp2010 wrote:according to this paper initial leave will be for 3 years after then 2 years.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:52 pm

Not necessarily. There are going to be transitional arrangements.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

ex123
Newly Registered

Post by ex123 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:56 pm

Settlement after 2 years for Tier I is what I got from Government's previous announcement although today's one is different.

According to above BBC link, it also mentions "2 years" and I think that is how the Government attract the "Tier 1" migrants they want.

Successful highly skilled applicants will also need to have passed a test in English, equivalent to GCSE Grade C or above.

They will not need a job offer and may be able to settle in Britain after two years.

Rather confused now.....

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:00 pm

ex123 wrote:Settlement after 2 years for Tier I is what I got from Government's previous announcement although today's one is different.

According to above BBC link, it also mentions "2 years" and I think that is how the Government attract the "Tier 1" migrants they want.

Successful highly skilled applicants will also need to have passed a test in English, equivalent to GCSE Grade C or above.

They will not need a job offer and may be able to settle in Britain after two years.

Rather confused now.....
No you got it wrong, please stop posting this info
It is still 5 years

SYH
BANNED

Re: new system

Post by SYH » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:01 pm

Hiro wrote:This means that for those on a current 2 year HSMP visa will get an extension for only 2 years and need to apply again for an extra year to be eligible for ILR (2+2+1 for ILR). They should have reciprocated and also made it 2+3 as it will be for 2008 applicants who will get 3+2...

It now makes sense when the rumours said that tier one category will be eligible for ILR after 2 years (2 years after completing the initial 3 years).

hsmp2010 wrote:according to this paper initial leave will be for 3 years after then 2 years.
No my last extension was for 4 years, bizarre but true, although it didn't do me any good as I applied for settlement this year anyway.