ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish Citizenship queries

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

CBlack81
Newly Registered

Irish Citizenship queries

Post by CBlack81 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:29 am

As like a lot of people at the moment in the UK, I am interested in claiming my Irish citizenship, which I have only just realised I can claim through descent through my Irish maternal grandfather, who is now deceased.

I was wondering what supporting documents I would need?

I am assuming his long birth certificate, my mum's long birth certificate, deed poll certificate as she changed her surname later in life (long story, but she never married my father, but changed her name by deed poll to match his), and my own long birth certificate, would that be sufficient? Is it necessary to obtain his death certificate and marriage certificate? As my grandfather was born in 1891 and died in 1972, so it would be a miracle if he was still alive and surely the proof that he is my mum's father is shown on her birth certificate?

Also, I am little disappointed that I only just realised I could add myself to foreign births register as I only gave birth to my son 3 years ago in the UK, and believe he cannot claim Irish citizenship as I haven't yet been added to the foreign births register. I guess there is no way round this? As I was hoping we both could claim dual nationality and seems little unfair that a future child if I have one can claim Irish citizenship and he can't. I guess if that's the rules then that's that.

Does anyone know the current fees to be added on the foreign births register?

Thanks,

Charlene

CBlack81
Newly Registered

Re: Irish Citizenship queries

Post by CBlack81 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:36 pm

When I say no way round, I assuming the only way my son would be able to make a claim to Irish citizenship now is by living there for a number years through me?

Just weighing up whether it is worth the hassle, just wish I was aware of all the rules before he was born as I thought you can only claim citizenship through a direct parent, never mind as my mum was never aware of all of her citizenship rights as her father died when she was quite young and obviously unaware of her own children ones too.

Thanks once again,

Charlene

CBlack81
Newly Registered

Post by CBlack81 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:31 pm

The Irish embassy have got back to me and sent a general link for supporting documents, which again I have tried to verify which ones are needed as unsure whether marriage certificate or death certificate is definitely required for my grandfather. The fee it appears to be £231 for anyone over 18 to be added to FBR.

Again, I think I already know the score for my son, which is a shame, but hope if we ever decide to live there or he does in the future that my own Irish citizenship will help him claim it too. Although I realise we already quite free to travel for leisure or work purposes due to the common area agreement, but hope for my son to retain his EU citizen status in case that goes in the future.

Thanks, feel free to comment

sweetbeatrice
Newly Registered

Post by sweetbeatrice » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:47 pm

Hello! Glad you found the information that you needed. I found the site to be pretty straightforward in telling me what I needed.

For your son, if you're going to claim citizenship, and then move to Ireland, I would imagine that it would make a good case for him to have a parent in the FBR. I know that through my citizenship, if my husband wanted to claim citizenship, he could do so after 3 years of residency, instead of the 5 for those not married to a citizen.

Best of luck! There are also multiple other threads on this board about filing through the FBR.

Kennedybhoy1888
Newly Registered

Post by Kennedybhoy1888 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:02 pm

I'm wondering what documents I need to apply for Irish citizenship through my grandfather? I have birth certificate of grandfather and birth certificate of mother who never married so she still has my grandfather's surname, I also have death certificate for grandfather but no passport or wedding certificate for him, would this matter ? Also my mother is not a Irish citizen would this matter ?

Many thanks