ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

eclectic

Citizenship Ceremony

Post by eclectic » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:13 pm

Dear All,

Few quick questions clarifications. I have recently had my nationality approved- now I am going abroad tue next week and if I understand correctly I cannot travel on my ILR permit after attending the ceremony? are there any exceptions, has anyone travelled with ILR card after becoming citizen?

Considering above I was planning to book a ceremony as it needs to be booked within 21 days but was advised by the council to book it when I return as the next available date falls during my holidays when m away- I asked them if there will be an issue as it would then fall after 21 days but was advised that as long as I attend within 90 days it doesn't really matter- so my question is do I need to worry about that 21 days rule or can I book after returning?

and last but not least- I have read that one needs to return tu BRP card within 5 days of becoming citizen- but lot of people I know seemed to not have returned that- not that I am planning to keep it but if I am unable to return it within 5 days window will there be any implications? I know there is £1K penalty but has it really been imposed?

Many Thanks in advance

JohnnyZee

Re: Citizenship Ceremony

Post by JohnnyZee » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:28 pm

eclectic

Post by eclectic » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:16 pm

Thanks Johny.

but what about the 21 days rule? Letter clearly states to book it within 21 days but the council advised me to book it after I return from holidays which is 30 days after my approval letter. would that be a problem?

Also, what If I book it and then miss it? can it be re booked if missed?

JohnnyZee

Post by JohnnyZee » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:12 am

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:09 pm

eclectic wrote:Also, what If I book it and then miss it? can it be re booked if missed?
If you book the ceremony and then do not attend on the day, your certificate will likely be sent back to HO as a non attender. At the final hurdle of such an important and expensive application, do you really want to take silly risks.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

eclectic

Post by eclectic » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:38 am

CR001 wrote:
eclectic wrote:Also, what If I book it and then miss it? can it be re booked if missed?
If you book the ceremony and then do not attend on the day, your certificate will likely be sent back to HO as a non attender. At the final hurdle of such an important and expensive application, do you really want to take silly risks.
Well what I meant was if another could be booked within 90 days period..I am away until 20th July and council doesnt have any date available as yet after 18th July..so my question is..is it better that I book 18th and then call few days before to re book another day or as per their advice book it upon my return on 20th July but that would be after 21 days period..council advised me that it wont be a problem as long as I attend one within 90 days i.e. 17th Sep

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:55 am

The procedure for booking/rescheduling ceremony dates may differ from council to council, but sharing what I found out when I initially booked mine earlier this year.

When I first booked my ceremony date, I did ask the council staff whether I'd be able to reschedule in the event I was unable to attend on the day. I was advised that as long as I call them a few days in advance that would be fine. This would allow them to give the allocated date to someone else, and book the next available date for me.