ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Prereqs for Citizenship application for EU passport holder

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Blueinch

Prereqs for Citizenship application for EU passport holder

Post by Blueinch » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:38 am

Dear all,

Considering the recent referendum, I started more seriously looking into British citizenship application. Would appreciate, if you confirm whether my thinking process in this subject is correct...

Briefly about me: originally from Latvia, I have been living and continuously working in the UK for over 8 years.

As far as I am aware to get British citizenship, I need to:
1) Pass "Life In The UK Test".
2) Get certificate proving my knowledge of English language.
Questions:
- Which accredited company can provided it the quickest?
- Is it obligatory to attend the classes or I can simply take exam?
3) Get Residence Permit Card.
4) Hold it for 12 month, and then apply for the citizenship.

Is my list complete? Are the above steps correct? Is it the right order?

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
Sam

LilyLalilu

Re: Citizensh application process for EU-country passport ho

Post by LilyLalilu » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:57 pm

I think the Trinity SELTS exams are a pretty fast option. Definitely no need to take any classes (unless you would like to), the test only requires you to show a very basic level of English (B1 I believe), I'm sure you'll be fine without any classes.
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

Frenchie1980
Newly Registered

Post by Frenchie1980 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:25 pm

Hi Sam,

I am looking into this too. I think it's best to apply for your residence card first as it can take up to six months to get it back. Once you've sent off your application, you can take your Life in the UK and English tests.

You don't have to wait for a year to apply for citizenship either if you have lived in the UK for over 6 years. As soon as you have received your residence card, you can just apply for your citizenship.

I hope that helps. I find the PR form so confusing though : (

1kiril
BANNED

Post by 1kiril » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:34 pm

Have you been working continuously for 8 years? No breaks? Shoot for PR.

You might be able to apply for citizenship as soon as you receive your PR as you meant to have gained it automatically after 5 years of exercising Treaty rights.

Foreign language text removed by moderator

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:44 pm

1kiril wrote:Have you been working continuously for 8 years? No breaks? Shoot for PR.

You might be able to apply for citizenship as soon as you receive your PR as you meant to have gained it automatically after 5 years of exercising Treaty rights.

Foreign language text removed by moderator
Your post has been edited. Please refer to Point 8 of the forum T&Cs (click)
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:37 pm

It is a document certifying permanent residence which you need, not a "residence permit".

The form UKVI would like you to use to apply for this is their monster 86-page EEA(PR) form, but you are not legally required to use it (have a look at this one instead).

Send evidence of a 5 year period ending at least 12 months ago to ensure that your actual date of acquiring permanent residence is recorded as being over a year ago, then you do not have to wait before you apply for naturalisation.

There is no need to attend classes before doing the English test; if you feel your level of English is already good enough to pass a B1 test then go straight for it. It's the second lowest level and if you've been here for 8 years and speaking English regularly you will have no problem at all.

You need to use either Trinity College or IELTS. The former is slightly cheaper at £150 and must be taken at an approved centre. Make sure you book through their own website and NOT a third party agent - you should not be paying more than £150 for the test! https://www.trinityselt.co.uk/

Good luck. 8)

Blueinch

Post by Blueinch » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:39 pm

I do really appreciate all the replies. Many thanks to everyone!

To sum up, so far it seems that first I need to focus on PR, and straight after look into Life in The UK and English language tests. Apparently, I can apply for the citizhenship as soon as I get the PR...
ohara wrote:It is a document certifying permanent residence which you need, not a "residence permit".

The form UKVI would like you to use to apply for this is their monster 86-page EEA(PR) form, but you are not legally required to use it (have a look at this one instead).

Send evidence of a 5 year period ending at least 12 months ago to ensure that your actual date of acquiring permanent residence is recorded as being over a year ago, then you do not have to wait before you apply for naturalisation.
Two questions:
1) Can anyone confirm, whether mentioned in the link above simplified version of the EEA(PR) form is valid?
2) Is information in the last paragraph of the quote above is good to follow?

Would be particularly happy, if moderators/admins can confirm.

Best regards,
Sam

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:58 pm

That form has been widely shared on this forum (it was created by a collaboration of members here). It is an old version of the EEA3 form (one of the many forms which was rolled into the EEA(PR) form) which has been brought up to date with latest legislation.

You can read the Home Office caseworker guidance here: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... s_v3_0.pdf

Specifically page 19:
An EEA(PR) form can be used to submit an application. However, you must not refuse or
reject an application because it is not on the right form. A letter requesting a document
certifying permanent residence or permanent residence card, or an application made on one
of the previous forms (EEA3 or EEA4), is acceptable as long as:
 the correct fee is submitted with the application
 the applicant gives their biometric information if they are a non-EEA national applying
on or after 6 April 2015
So using the old form is no problem.

You can do Life in the UK test and the English language test at any time. Bear in mind there is probably going to be a big rush of EEA citizens doing the same thing now, so there may be quite a wait for booking these tests. The application for the DCPR will take a couple of months minimum, so try to get everything else done in the mean time so you're ready to apply for naturalisation as soon as it arrives.

Blueinch

Post by Blueinch » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:38 pm

One of the recent posts on the GOV website (https://www.gov.uk/government/news/stat ... -in-the-uk):
I have lived in the UK for more than 5 years. What does the vote to leave the EU mean for me?

EU nationals who have lived continuously and lawfully in the UK for at least 5 years automatically have a permanent right to reside. This means that they have a right to live in the UK permanently, in accordance with EU law. There is no requirement to register for documentation to confirm this status.
Is the last sentence somehow linked to the DCPR? In other words, if I have been in the UK "continuously and lawfully" for more than 5 years, do I still need to apply for DCPR? Or...?

Hope I don't look too naive, just want to double-check the official information.

Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:40 pm

You cannot apply for citizenship if you do not have a DCPR. HO changed the requirement for this as mandatory in November 2015.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:46 pm

Blueinch wrote:Two questions:
1) Can anyone confirm, whether mentioned in the link above simplified version of the EEA(PR) form is valid?
2) Is information in the last paragraph of the quote above is good to follow?

Would be particularly happy, if moderators/admins can confirm.

Best regards,
Sam
1) See http://www.immigrationboards.com/eea-ro ... s#p1375243

2) Yes.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:19 am

It is correct that EEA residency status (PR etc) is acquired automatically and that residence documentation (PR card, document certifying PR etc) are optional.

However if you are an EEA citizen (or non-EEA family member) applying for British citizenship you must possess one of the aforementioned documents.

Blueinch

Post by Blueinch » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:32 am

I found my WRS form, which was issued in August 2008 by the employment agency where I worked for 2 months. Then I moved to another town, where I got employed by another company, which copied the old WRS form.

I got a feeling that when I got hired in the new company in the new town, I was supposed to ask them for another WRS form, right?

Now, I am filling EEA(PR) application form, and they are asking, whether I worked for "an uninterrupted period of 12 months" having WRS form? It seems that I have to answer "No", and I fall into "unauthorised worker" status... How bad is it for my overall application?

I see two ways out:

1. To fill EEA3 (simpler) form. It seems that it doesn't ask as many details.

2. To start counting my qualifying period from May 2011, when they stopped WRS.

What are your views, concerns and thoughts?

Thank you.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:50 am

Blueinch wrote:I found my WRS form, which was issued in August 2008 by the employment agency where I worked for 2 months. Then I moved to another town, where I got employed by another company, which copied the old WRS form.

I got a feeling that when I got hired in the new company in the new town, I was supposed to ask them for another WRS form, right?

Now, I am filling EEA(PR) application form, and they are asking, whether I worked for "an uninterrupted period of 12 months" having WRS form? It seems that I have to answer "No", and I fall into "unauthorised worker" status... How bad is it for my overall application?

I see two ways out:

1. To fill EEA3 (simpler) form. It seems that it doesn't ask as many details.

2. To start counting my qualifying period from May 2011, when they stopped WRS.

What are your views, concerns and thoughts?

Thank you.
This is not a BC question for BC forum.

:!: 2 people appear to be using this member id.

Which is which - are you the father or the son :?:

Yes, you need to have reregistered for WRS if you moved employer within first 12 months of work.
Your second employer committed an offence by employing an unregistered worker.

1) #fail.
Suppressing material facts is not an option.
You still need supporting evidence to back your case. Caseworker will be specificaly checking up on WRS for applications from A8s.

2) Yes.

Your PR clock could only have started in May 2011 when WRS ended. You were not exercising treaty rights as a worker before then and PR clock was not running before then.

That also means you could not sponsor any family member before May 2011 (by being a worker as you were not a legitimate worker).

Blueinch

Post by Blueinch » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:49 pm

noajthan wrote: This is not a BC question for BC forum.

:!: 2 people appear to be using this member id.

Which is which - are you the father or the son :?:
I am the mother, and this thread is for my situation. Another thread in "EEA-route Applications" part of the forum is for my son, because he can't register on this forum in China.

Sorry, for posting about DCPR here. Shall I create a separate thread in another part of the forum about these questions, or can I post in here, or shall I post in my son's thread?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:57 pm

Blueinch wrote:I am the mother, and this thread is for my situation. Another thread in "EEA-route Applications" part of the forum is for my son, because he can't register on this forum in China.

Sorry, for posting about DCPR here. Shall I create a separate thread in another part of the forum about these questions, or can I post in here, or shall I post in my son's thread?
Fortunate son to have a mom fighting his corner as you are.

As this topic seem to be more about preparing to apply for DCPR I'll move it into EEA forum;
keeping it as a separate thread to avoid too much confusion with son's specific case.

Topic renamed to: Prereqs for Citizenship application for EU passport holder

Blueinch

Post by Blueinch » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:12 pm

Thank you for finding a suitable place for the topic :)
noajthan wrote:Your PR clock could only have started in May 2011 when WRS ended. You were not exercising treaty rights as a worker before then and PR clock was not running before then.

That also means you could not sponsor any family member before May 2011 (by being a worker as you were not a legitimate worker).
All forms are asking for "From" and "Until" employment dates.

Hypothetically, if someone started to work in a company without WRS before 2011 (e.g. 2009) up until today, what shall they write in "From" date?

To be honest, the "simpler" form (question 3.1) is asking employment info for "the past 5 years", so technically in "From" date I can state 2011, right?

noajthan

Re: Prereqs for Citizenship application for EU passport hold

Post by noajthan » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:19 pm

Enter date of entry to UK, genuine dates of work, dates of absences & etc.
Caseworker will work it out.

If you miss critical information the application will most likely be refused; they won't necessarily follow up and ask for clarification.

If you wish to do so, you may add a cogent supporting letter to explain anything out of the ordinary or in particular detail.

Blueinch

Post by Blueinch » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:02 pm

noajthan wrote:Enter date of entry to UK, genuine dates of work, dates of absences & etc.

If you miss critical information the application will most likely be refused; they won't necessarily follow up and ask for clarification.

If you wish to do so, you may add a cogent supporting letter to explain anything out of the ordinary or in particular detail.
In case someone haven't had WRS at the certain period, and they state about it in the application form, are there any cases of getting DCPR in that situation?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:13 pm

Blueinch wrote:
noajthan wrote:Enter date of entry to UK, genuine dates of work, dates of absences & etc.

In case someone haven't had WRS at the certain period, and they state about it in the application form, are there any cases of getting DCPR in that situation?
Not many cases from 2011-2016 being reported yet as they are just working through the system.
But plenty of cases reported in forum of late registration for WRS that have been accepted.

dandodex
Spain

Post by dandodex » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:05 am

ohara wrote:You need to use either Trinity College or IELTS. The former is slightly cheaper at £150 and must be taken at an approved centre. Make sure you book through their own website and NOT a third party agent - you should not be paying more than £150 for the test! https://www.trinityselt.co.uk/
The IELTS Life Skills test is also £150. It is the full IELTS that costs £200.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:23 pm

dandodex wrote:
ohara wrote:You need to use either Trinity College or IELTS. The former is slightly cheaper at £150 and must be taken at an approved centre. Make sure you book through their own website and NOT a third party agent - you should not be paying more than £150 for the test! https://www.trinityselt.co.uk/
My apologies, you are correct. The IELTS Life Skills B1 test is the same price at £150.

I don't work for Trinity, honest! :lol:

dandodex
Spain

Post by dandodex » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:25 am

ohara wrote:
dandodex wrote:
My apologies, you are correct. The IELTS Life Skills B1 test is the same price at £150.

I don't work for Trinity, honest! :lol:
No worries! I did the IELTS Life Skills last Sunday and it was very easy. No need to prepare unless you have lived in this country in your own national ghetto.