ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Accomodation - Survey Required?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

AK83
Newly Registered

Accomodation - Survey Required?

Post by AK83 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:16 am

Hi everyone. I was reading through the forums and the point about getting a RICS survey done for a shared property caught my eye.

I'm currently living in a 2 bedroom flat with a flatmate (each with own bed and bathroom) and common living area and Spam. The rental contract is in both our names (along with council tax and utility bills). I've discussed with my landlord who's happy to give me a consent letter for my wife to join me in the flat. Along with this, the estate agency that manages the appartment is also willing to provide me a written proof that the accomodation is indeed a 2 double bedroom flat with only 2 occupants at the moment and 3 wouldn't be overcrowding.

Question is if this would be sufficient or do I still need the survey done?

vinny

Re: Accomodation - Survey Required?

Post by vinny » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:49 am

May be ok.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

AK83
Newly Registered

Post by AK83 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:16 pm

Thanks Vinny. I suppose I'll just have to go with it. I will take some pictures of the appartment just in case.

strontiumdog74

Post by strontiumdog74 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:38 pm

Are you willing to take that risk?

Why not arrange for a proper inspection?
If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it, the long-term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists

Whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience

Artur111
Russia

Post by Artur111 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:56 pm

Hi guys,
Apologies for barging in with my question, but it's related to the topic.
If you don't mind me asking, does this Housing report/inspection need to be conducted by the council only? As the local council where I'm renting is not providing this service.

Thank you

Albert Einstein

AK83
Newly Registered

Post by AK83 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:23 pm

strontiumdog74 wrote:Are you willing to take that risk?

Why not arrange for a proper inspection?
Hi mate, I'll contact the council to see if they provide this service.

I also have already made a rental offer for another flat for myself and my wife. The move in date will be on or after the date of my wife's entry to the UK. I was only going to use my current house as the proof because I won't be able to arrange for any utility bills or council tax copy for the new flat. I could take both appartments' document with me for the purpose.

AK83
Newly Registered

Post by AK83 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:13 pm

So my local council have told me that they no longer provide the accomodation survey service so have asked me to find someone private. My current estate agents also don't provide inspection for Visa and Immigrations purpose, however they use an inventory company to do most quarterly inspections for them. The question is would a report from someone like them be sufficient?

An alternative is that I have now agreed to rent a 2 bed appartment for just myself and the estate agents are happy to certify that my spouse can come live with me there. The only trouble is that the move in date is in early Sept so I wouldn't have any council tax or utility bills to prove my living there.

Anyone on any thoughts on which option would be better?

-AK83

rukhsarmanzoor
United Kingdom

Post by rukhsarmanzoor » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:32 pm

A chartered surveyor will be the one to produce a Property Inspection Report.

Local councils, Estate Agents and some Legal/Solicitor's (might cost around £60-100) firms should be able to help you out with this. So maybe find out which legal firm in your area provides the service. I'm Midlands based and have found that solicitors who deal with Immigration as a large part of their business generally have a chartered survey that works with them.

Property Inspection Reports aren't a must but they are highly recommended to people in a situation like yours living in shared accommodation.

Good luck
Pakistan Spouse Visa Application
Online Application: 01/08/16
Biometrics: 09/08/16, Islamabad
Supporting docs sent to Sheffield: 09/08/16
Supporting docs received back: 12/08/16
Collection: 02/11/16
Visa granted alhamdulillah!