ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Urgent query two valid visas

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

aarti211
Newly Registered

Urgent query two valid visas

Post by aarti211 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:13 pm

Hi there

My relative who is planning to travel today to the UK has been given a visitor visa valid from 16th July 2016 for 6 months.her previous visitor visa is still valid till 30th September 2016.

Question is will she be allowed to travel today with the previous valid visa...there is no mention of visa cancelled on the previous visa.

Please advise
Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Urgent query two valid visas

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:17 pm

Possible the other visa is cancelled.

Any reason why she cannot wait 1 week and travel on the new visa, to avoid being bumped back by immigration at the airport?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

aarti211
Newly Registered

Post by aarti211 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:05 pm

She can travel next week but would there be an issue with the previous visa.is there any contact number for immigration that can be used to verify this.

Thanks

John Green

Post by John Green » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:27 pm

I did not find when I wanted to ask myself any contact details for UKVI, one that you could use to directly ask them a question. I did once come across an email, but the response I received looked like it was generated by an automatic reply service, since it never answer my specific question. I suspect that this absence is the reason immigration lawyers and this forum are in such demand.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:31 pm

I would also be very wary of relying on information given over the telephone by any HO 'helpline', They are notorious for giving seriously flawed advice and take no responsibility for the consequences. :|
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:49 pm

CR001 wrote:Possible the other visa is cancelled.
There used to be a link on here somewhere that showed the rules that said that only one UK visa can be held at a time and the second visa cancels out the previous visa. Didn't FrontierMole also say that in another thread recently?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:51 pm

Petaltop wrote:
CR001 wrote:Possible the other visa is cancelled.
There used to be a link on here somewhere that showed the rules that said that only one UK visa can be held at a time and the second visa cancels out the previous visa. Didn't FrontierMole also say that in another thread recently?
Yes, that was exactly my understanding too. Will dig around when I get home and see if I can find it.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:33 pm

Yes, based on the following guidance any extant leave will be cancelled when a new visa is issued.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... eave-ecb22

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:03 pm

aarti211 wrote:Question is will she be allowed to travel today with the previous valid visa...there is no mention of visa cancelled on the previous visa.
Hopefully she is going to or already has rescheduled her travel date. From experience I know that UKVI don't mark visa vignettes as cancelled when issuing new visas unlike certain other countries such as the US. So its not apparent to the passport holder that the previous visa has been cancelled - it would be much easier & transparent if they did this.

John Green

Post by John Green » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:21 pm

Without following the details of the threat, when I emailed UKVI about whether I could have two UK visas "going" at the same time (ie active at once) they "told" me yes, it was possible. As previously said, my impression is that you get some real rubbish if you directly ask UKVI for help and assuming you can find any contact email or telephone number for them.

As an appendix, for those that have had visa refusals, it might be worthwhile complaining to their local Member of Parliament if the sponsor lives in the UK. Plus (of course) appealing through the normal tribunal channel. I do recall seeing one ECO guidance document that does mention the situation where a local MP gets involved as something to watch for, so it is something that may concentrate an appeal tribunal collective mind a little more.

I don't know if the forum regulars have come across this situation, and what the outcome has been if so.