ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK absences calculation examples

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

zoefr
Newly Registered

UK absences calculation examples

Post by zoefr » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:54 pm

Hello,

I am a French citizen applying for PR and eventually British citizenship. I have reviewed numerous threads on this forum on the calculation of absences e.g. as requested in Section 5 of EEA(PR). I have a number of cases which I believe are tricky (to me, at least) and I imagine this thread could well serve as a sticky reference for others in future. I would appreciate your assistance clarifying below scenarios:

1) If I fly out of the UK on Monday 10AM and return Tue (the following day) at 11PM, have I been absent 0, 1 or 2 days? I have been away for more than 24 hours but technically I have not been absent for any full days having been in the country on both days, 10 hours on Monday and 1 hour on Tuesday.

2) Similar to above, but being away under 24 hours e.g. flying out Tuesday 6PM and returning Wednesday 3PM. I have spent the night away, but is this a 'whole day'?

3) Depending on above definition, this may lead to other scenarios. For example, if I fly out Sunday 11AM and return Saturday at 1155 (5 minutes before midnight) is this calculated as 5 days away? If I instead return 5 minutes after midnight i.e. Sunday at 00:05 does it then become 6?

4) When the absence involves multiple countries, how are they split? For example: if on Tuesday 1PM I fly to Germany where I stay until Saturday 10AM at which point I fly to Japan until returning to the UK the following Saturday how should this be reflected?

Thank you for your assistance and I truly hope this helps others with similar questions.

Saladin0011
Mood:
Czech Republic

Re: UK absences calculation examples

Post by Saladin0011 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:51 pm

1, 2, 3 - 0 days because you are not counting departing neither returning day.
4 - I visited Gibraltar, next day I went to Spain and few days Portugal which was place where I used to go back to UK and I wrote just Gibraltar.
It is the same when I am on holiday back home. I usually go shopping to Germany because it is 5km over border and I am not going to tell them my every move over border.

zoefr
Newly Registered

Re: UK absences calculation examples

Post by zoefr » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:18 pm

Thank you Saladin0011. So, just to be clear, it is whole day (24 hour cycles) not counting departing and arriving days. The reason I am unsure is when previously having to manage days away (not for UK) for tax purposes it was "nights away".