ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marriage notice when on Tier 2 visa

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sadietaber
Newly Registered

Marriage notice when on Tier 2 visa

Post by sadietaber » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:21 pm

Hello all, I wasn't sure if I should be posting in this section of the site, but was wondering if anyone had some experience dealing with getting married while on a tier 2 visa.

I am due to get married next year to a UK citizen and will still be on a tier 2 visa. I want to stay on this instead of switching to a family visa, as i'll be eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain when that visa expires in 2019.

My question is how to go about giving my marriage notice in the right time frame. Do I need to first register where the civil ceremony takes place and then give my notice to my local registrar? Will I need to do all of this within 70 days of when I've booked the civil ceremony in case they take the case to the home office?

I am nervous because we are planning to have the civil ceremony and then a few days later have an actual wedding blessing with reception, dress etc and I don't want to have the time frame of the civil ceremony/any home office investigation ruin that. If anyone could point me in the right direction of steps to take, I would be very grateful.

Thank you very much,
S

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Marriage notice when on Tier 2 visa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:02 pm

You need to give 28 days notice at one of the HO approved Registry offices.

They are obliged to inform HO that a non-EU citizen wishes to get married. The notice period could be extended to 70 days if HO feels they need to investigate and/or interview both of you separately. If HO is happy, they will give you approval to marry.

You will need to plan and give notice accordingly. HO does not always extend the notice period.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sadietaber
Newly Registered

Post by sadietaber » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:27 pm

Thank you for your response, CR001. Do you know if there is a limit for how early I can give my notice? I have only seen *at least* 28 days, but would I be able to many months in advance to make sure I have the HO's permission with plenty of time to spare before my civil ceremony date?

Thanks again :)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:30 pm

You should contact the Registry office and speak to them.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

u01xm11
Newly Registered

Post by u01xm11 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:35 pm

Hi Sadietaber,

Good day. Glad that you have initiated this post. To answer your question, you can submit your Form M10 to the registrar at most 3 months before the proposed marriage date and latest by 29 days before the proposed marriage date. (My partner and I are planning to getting married too end of this year)

Do you know for sure if switching to family visa will "reset" your 5 years period in UK?

Hypothetically (*touch wood*), if you are terminated from your current job and your employee inform HMRC to end your current Tier 2 visa. You will need to apply for the family visa/or get another employer to sponsor you a Tier 2 visa within 60 days? Else you will be left with no visa right?

Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:42 pm

u01xm11 wrote:Do you know for sure if switching to family visa will "reset" your 5 years period in UK? Yes it does reset the clock to a new 5 year period. The only time you can combine different visa is if you apply for ILR based on 10 years long residence/

Hypothetically (*touch wood*), if you are terminated from your current job and your employee inform HMRC to end your current Tier 2 visa. You will need to apply for the family visa/or get another employer to sponsor you a Tier 2 visa within 60 days? Else you will be left with no visa right? I am sure you mean HO and not HMRC. The 60 days curtailment is from the date HO writes to the Tier 2 General visa holder NOT from when the employer notifies HO.

Thank you
Char (CR001 not Casa)

u01xm11
Newly Registered

Post by u01xm11 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:21 am

Hi CR001,
Thanks for your response.