ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 Visa Extension and Switching to another employer

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

MBel
Newly Registered

Tier 2 Visa Extension and Switching to another employer

Post by MBel » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:45 pm

Hello,

I am currently in the process of applying for a Tier 2 visa extension (with the same employer) for another 3 years. I was previously on Tier 2 from 2013 to 2016 and I have always been with the same employer.

My question is if I want to switch employers/change jobs, do I need to apply for another visa? Does it have to be a new Tier 2 visa or an extension?

Thank you

iworker
Diamond Member
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: Tier 2 Visa Extension and Switching to another employer

Post by iworker » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:01 am

you will need to apply for a new visa every time u change jobs. Call it whatever u like, extension or tier 2, but new visa, with new cos, rlmt, IHS fee but could be applied within uk.

u01xm11
Newly Registered

Post by u01xm11 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:03 pm

Hi Mbel,
I am bothered by the same situation too. I have a few similar questions, appreciate if you can shed some light.

1. Do you need to resign from your current job the moment you submit for the application of a new visa for the new employer?

2. If it takes up to a few weeks for the application to go through, you will be left with no visa/work permit during this switching period as your previous employer will inform HMRC the end of your employment. So, you can basically just sit and wait for the second visa to come?

Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:08 pm

u01xm11 wrote:Hi Mbel,
I am bothered by the same situation too. I have a few similar questions, appreciate if you can shed some light.

1. Do you need to resign from your current job the moment you submit for the application of a new visa for the new employer? You should wait for your new visa with your new sponsor before resigning. What if your new visa is refused and you have already resigned??

2. If it takes up to a few weeks for the application to go through, you will be left with no visa/work permit during this switching period as your previous employer will inform HMRC the end of your employment. So, you can basically just sit and wait for the second visa to come? What do you mean 'left with no visa/work permit'?? You apply for your new view, once granted, then you resign.

Thank you
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

u01xm11
Newly Registered

Post by u01xm11 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:37 am

Hi CR001,
Thanks for your reply, i thought one existing visa needs to be terminated before applying for another one a new COS. Hence, asked the previous question. Alright, now I get the chronology. Get a new job -> Get a new COS -> Get a new visa -> Resign the current job -> HR informs HO to terminate the current visa. :D

Cheers.