ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Long term visitor visa for parents

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

muditmalhotra
Member of Standing

Long term visitor visa for parents

Post by muditmalhotra » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:14 pm

Hi All

My parents are planning to visit me this year and wish to apply for a long term visa ( 5 or 10 yrs)

I have a few doubts,

1. they have visited my 4 times and practically visit me every year. What reason should we give for asking for a long term visa, saying my children are based in UK and we wish to visit them every year is this enough ?

2. their passport expires in 2019, is there any limitation on validity of passport ? I guess if UK is offering a 10 year visa, they should not consider passport expiry as most passport are valid for only 10 years

3. they have never asked for a long term visa always got for 6 months, should we now apply for a 5 year first and then 10 years may be or can we directly apply for a 10year visa ?

4. if a long term visa is rejected, do we face any issues in getting 6 months visa again next time ?

5. Do we need to provide any extra document than what we did fro 6 months visa ?

any thoughts are more than welcome.

Thanks
Regards
M.
Last edited by muditmalhotra on Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Long term visitor visa for parents

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:17 pm

Suggest aim for a 2 year visitor visa first. They need to show a solid and good history to get a 5 or 10 year visa.

How long have they stayed to visit on all their previous visit visas?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

muditmalhotra
Member of Standing

Post by muditmalhotra » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:21 pm

CR001 wrote:Suggest aim for a 2 year visitor visa first. They need to show a solid and good history to get a 5 or 10 year visa.

How long have they stayed to visit on all their previous visit visas?

they have been in uk 4 time before, that should count as solid history and they never have been in breach of any rules that should be good isn't ?

asking for 2 years doesn't make sense as it doesn't justifies its cost. my parents wont visit me more than 2 times in 2 years and hence this would mean just one extra trip , so its not worth to spend so much extra for just one more trip

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:30 pm

It's not up to you decide what is justified. HO has their own rules/guidance. 4 visits is hardly 'solid history'. You could, for example, opt for 5 year visit visa, pay the huge fee and then they are only issued with a 6 month visa.

Baby steps when dealing with HO rather than big leaps. Visitor visas are far more scrutinised now and refusals very common.
CR001 wrote:How long have they stayed to visit on all their previous visit visas?
What was there duration of stay for each visit so far?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

muditmalhotra
Member of Standing

Post by muditmalhotra » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:36 pm

Their visits have been

2 months
4 months
5 months
5 months

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:38 pm

4 and 5 months at a time is more like 'residing', not 'visiting'.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

muditmalhotra
Member of Standing

Post by muditmalhotra » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:41 pm

CR001 wrote:4 and 5 months at a time is more like 'residing', not 'visiting'.
But till the time u abide by ur visa terms u r a visitor.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:13 pm

A follow-up question...

For each of the visits you've listed, did they make 4 separate visit visa applications and granted 4 visa's valid for 6 months each?

I suspect that the cost effectiveness of the visa would really depend on the frequency of visits during the validity period. If just visiting once a year, then it may be that the approach above may end up being the best option. https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa/overview

muditmalhotra
Member of Standing

Post by muditmalhotra » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:21 pm

cs95tdg wrote:A follow-up question...

For each of the visits you've listed, did they make 4 separate visit visa applications and granted 4 visa's valid for 6 months each?
yea made 4 separate applications and got 6 months each time

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:24 pm

In that case, based on the associated cost mentioned it appears that continuing to do the same would be more cost effective than applying for a long validity visit visa.
Fees
A Standard Visitor visa costs £87.

The fee for a long-term visit visa depends on its length:

2 years - £330
5 years - £600
10 years - £752

muditmalhotra
Member of Standing

Post by muditmalhotra » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:27 pm

cs95tdg wrote:In that case, based on the associated cost mentioned it appears that continuing to do the same would be more cost effective than applying for a long validity visit visa.
Fees
A Standard Visitor visa costs £87.

The fee for a long-term visit visa depends on its length:

2 years - £330
5 years - £600
10 years - £752
but then extra cost is for not having this hassle everytime..

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:52 pm

You'll probably find it useful to read the HO Visitor Visa Guidance. See Page 25 for how they decide the length of the visa.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... e_v4_0.pdf

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:12 pm

muditmalhotra wrote:
CR001 wrote:4 and 5 months at a time is more like 'residing', not 'visiting'.
But till the time u abide by ur visa terms u r a visitor.
4/5 months at a time is not a genuine visitor. There is no rule but but the IO's guidance notes use the term 'genuine visitor' 4/5 months is not a visit.

Two or three visits a year for a fortnight or so sets the pattern for unfettered access to the big visas...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

muditmalhotra
Member of Standing

Post by muditmalhotra » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:06 pm

I know cases where a long term visa was issued in similar cases.. hence I think staying 4/5 months is no issue ..... I hope!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:19 pm

muditmalhotra wrote:I know cases where a long term visa was issued in similar cases.. hence I think staying 4/5 months is no issue ..... I hope!
That was then but this is now.

Sound's like an old ABC lyric.....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

muditmalhotra
Member of Standing

Post by muditmalhotra » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:24 pm

Wanderer wrote:
muditmalhotra wrote:I know cases where a long term visa was issued in similar cases.. hence I think staying 4/5 months is no issue ..... I hope!
That was then but this is now.

Sound's like an old ABC lyric.....
have things changed lately ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:29 pm

Yes, HO/UKVI have become far more aware of long 'visits' and scrutinise applications and 'ties to home country' much more now. It is the years of abuse that has caused this.

Also assuming of course that your parents don't use the free NHS when they are here for so long??
Char (CR001 not Casa)

muditmalhotra
Member of Standing

Post by muditmalhotra » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:34 pm

CR001 wrote: Also assuming of course that your parents don't use the free NHS when they are here for so long??
well my parents always carry insurance when they visit us, so NHS wise we are fine!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:39 pm

Good, because unpaid NHS bill or use of NHS when not permitted to is a basis for refusal.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

muditmalhotra
Member of Standing

Post by muditmalhotra » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:41 pm

CR001 wrote:Good, because unpaid NHS bill or use of NHS when not permitted to is a basis for refusal.
yes I have heard such stories too, but good that they always have it.... can I mention shorter but frequent visits .. coz genuinely my parent do not intend to stay here and they wish to have shorter visits but its too much hassle to apply visa everytime

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:01 pm

In my mind a visit would constitute a period of something up to or less than a month.

That said I do know extended family friends, who have travelled to the UK to visit family for periods longer than that, so what I gather is that it would depend a lot on the individuals circumstances and how they present their application. Strong history of previous frequent travel (& compliance with visa terms and conditions), consistency in what is stated when applying for the visa, what is stated to the IO at point of entry, and then leaving the country on time as initially planned. Proven and on-going strong ties to their home country with evidence to support this all play a key part in my view. Other than that you have the standard requirements which I'm sure you are already aware of having had them apply for several visit visas in the past.

If you are confident about the above, and are not overly worried about forfeiting the difference of visa fee in the event the HO decide to grant a visa validity period less than what was applied for, then you could opt to apply for a long length visa of your choice. My personal choice would be either 2 or 5 years depending on your personal view on the associated risk.

muditmalhotra
Member of Standing

Post by muditmalhotra » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:13 pm

Thanks a lot bro.... guides me in right direction

Thanks