ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child Benefit - Child Abroad

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Twotwos
Newly Registered

Child Benefit - Child Abroad

Post by Twotwos » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:15 pm

Hello,

I am a British citizen, born here and lived here all my life. I have fathered a child abroad. She is now 4 months old. She lives abroad with her mum (non-British citizen) for now but we have come to the agreement that the child will come her to live with me in about 2 year's time. I send her money every month.

For now, am I able and eligible to claim child benefit? I am in full time employment earning under £30k a year.

Has anyone successfully done this?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards.

vinny

Re: Child Benefit - Child Abroad

Post by vinny » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:25 pm

Probably no.

However,
Child Benefit wrote:Contact the Child Benefit Office to find out if you can make a claim.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:02 pm

Also looking ahead you will have to be fully prepared for the stringent requirements to bring your daughter to live with you in the UK if the mother isn't joining you. Firstly as a unmarried couple, you will have to take a DNA test from a Home Office approved test provider in order to prove paternity. You will also need a Court order (in the country of your child's birth) granting you custody, the mother's written agreement won't be sufficient.
Also be aware that a British passport for your child could take up to a year to obtain when applied for outside of the UK.
I've assumed that the mother isn't married to anyone else?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

pulleyns
Newly Registered

Post by pulleyns » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:55 am

As far as I remember child has to be physical in the uk at the time of apply.

Twotwos
Newly Registered

Post by Twotwos » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:53 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.

I called the helpline and was told that the child must be present in this country otherwise I cannot make a claim. I was informed that the child doesn't necessarily need to have a UK passport and that applications are assessed on a case by case basis so they may ask me for any required documentation after my application has been submitted.

Hope this helps others in a similar situation. Thanks again.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:48 pm

Twotwos wrote:Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.

I called the helpline and was told that the child must be present in this country otherwise I cannot make a claim. I was informed that the child doesn't necessarily need to have a UK passport and that applications are assessed on a case by case basis so they may ask me for any required documentation after my application has been submitted.

The helpline is notoriously inconsistent with it's opines. Don't trust it.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:59 pm

Wanderer wrote:

Child Benefits (HMRC) helpline is generally quite accurate and have advised the OP correctly that the child needs to be in the UK. Not so for HO helpline though :wink:
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:04 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

Child Benefits (HMRC) helpline is generally quite accurate and have advised the OP correctly that the child needs to be in the UK. Not so for HO helpline though :wink:
Oh! I didn't read properly again, must stop sniffing Ajax....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:09 pm

Wanderer wrote:
CR001 wrote:Child Benefits (HMRC) helpline is generally quite accurate and have advised the OP correctly that the child needs to be in the UK. Not so for HO helpline though :wink:
Oh! I didn't read properly again, must stop sniffing Ajax....
Drink beer instead, sniffing Ajax is bad for you :wink:
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.