ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PR and NI record

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

WalSag
Newly Registered

PR and NI record

Post by WalSag » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:38 pm

Hello,
I have worked almost without interruption during the 5-year period I want to use as a qualifying period. However, one of my employers did not pay HMRC any tax or NI contributions on my behalf until 10 months after I had started working for them: is that going to be an issue?
My employers started overdeducting tax (at least 10% of my gross salary more than they should have) from month 1. I went to HR and explained they were applying the wrong tax code: they initially said there was no such thing as a tax code, then told me that they had to overdeduct tax as I was a foreigner and there was a risk I might ‘disappear’, going back to where I come from, and they could end up being charged by HMRC for taxes I had not paid elsewhere (??? :x ). My managers did not want to get involved. I had to find new rental accommodation, so needed an employer reference, and didn’t want to rock the boat.
I contacted HMRC who told me that I would have to wait until the end of the tax year, and they would send me a tax refund (after having been on hold for ages, I wanted to speed things up, so didn’t give them my NI number but just said I had a general query – how did I come to regret this). In April I didn’t get my P60 as HR ‘still had to calculate it’. I made a lot of fuss and eventually got my P60 with my May payslip. I sent it to HMRC who then came back to me with the news that they had never received any tax or NI contributions for me since I started working for that employer (so if I had lost my job, I wouldn’t have been able to claim JSA). When I called, the chap was very nice and told me that a) I wasn’t the only employee in that company in this situation; b) it wasn’t the first year my employers had done this.
After a lot of chasing from HMRC and myself, my employers eventually paid the backlog of Ni contributions and tax to HMRC in July. I got my refund cheque 2 weeks later.
I still have the correspondence from HMRC: should I include it with the payslips, and maybe add a covering letter? I am worried that if the officer dealing with my case checks my NI records, it will look to them as if I didn’t have a job for a whole 10 months. I also have a work contract, but it wasn’t signed by anyone at the company. Not surprisingly, I left as soon as I could find a job elsewhere.
Thanks in advance.

noajthan

Re: PR and NI record

Post by noajthan » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:01 pm

Yes, potential problem.

If you were acquiring PR as a worker qualified person then you need to prove that status. HO will not usually give benefit of doubt.
Explain everything in a cogent cover letter.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

WalSag
Newly Registered

Post by WalSag » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:11 pm

Thank you very much! I have been working here for just under 10 years and that employer is snap bang in the middle so I can't choose a 5-year qualifying period which does not include them!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:32 pm

You need P60s, P45, sample payslips.
A letter from employer would be nice touch too.

Presumably the P60 is fake or at least suspect.
And it appears doubtful such an 'employer' is capable of writing an appropriate letter.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:09 am

noajthan wrote:Presumably the P60 is bad quality or at least suspect.
Crucially, I believe the P60 would be a genuine document - the deductions were real. It's just that the employer hadn't handed the money over to HMRC. The P60 is issued by the employer, not HMRC.