ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Status of family in Switzerland

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

WalSag
Newly Registered

Status of family in Switzerland

Post by WalSag » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:25 pm

noajthan wrote:
mart1711 wrote:No, your wife is not your sponsor; under UK law (in the context of immigration) she is not even recognised as an EEA national (and that is even before Brexit).

As you are a Union citizen you apply in your own right as the main applicant and you do not have a sponsor.
(Its a poorly-designed and generic form used for many different scenarios).
I second that. I had to read and reread the form and the guidance to get my head round it, and I am used to filling in rather complicated forms at work. Calling the call centre is likely to take a while, and complaining is not likely to achieve much: I can't take my business elsewhere!
One lady I know is a EU national, married to a Brit, with a child (I think the child has the British nationality only). They live in Switzerland where the child was born. She has lived in the UK before they moved, and was in work, but for less than the necessary 5 years. Wonder how they're going to sort the situation out. Ironically, they moved from the UK to Switzerland partly because she is mixed race and was fed up with the everyday beloved.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Permanent Residence Certifcate question

Post by ohara » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:50 am

WalSag wrote:One lady I know is a EU national, married to a Brit, with a child (I think the child has the British nationality only). They live in Switzerland where the child was born.
Quite odd that the child would have only inherited a single nationality in that situation, although I believe Switzerland is one of the few countries which doesn't have any amount of jus soli in their nationality law, except to prevent statelessness. Most EU countries will allow nationality to pass down at least one generation to children born abroad (hence how the child has British citizenship).

If the worst comes to the worst and we get a bad Brexit deal, they could presumably all come back to the UK with the wife on a UK spouse visa and the father and child using their British passports.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Re: Permanent Residence Certifcate question

Post by Richard W » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:47 am

ohara wrote:
WalSag wrote:One lady I know is a EU national, married to a Brit, with a child (I think the child has the British nationality only). They live in Switzerland where the child was born.
Quite odd that the child would have only inherited a single nationality in that situation, although I believe Switzerland is one of the few countries which doesn't have any amount of jus soli in their nationality law, except to prevent statelessness. Most EU countries will allow nationality to pass down at least one generation to children born abroad (hence how the child has British citizenship).
Many countries have expatriation laws that take effect without any action by or on behalf of the victim. If Wikipedia be right, if the mother is Dutch, the child could have lost Dutch nationality for being British and for living outside the EU and outside the Kingdom of the Netherlands without a Dutch passport.

noajthan

Re: Status of family in Switzerland

Post by noajthan » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:58 am

Moved out as nothing to do with original post in original topic.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.