ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non-EEA requirements for PR

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

johannf

Non-EEA requirements for PR

Post by johannf » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:00 am

I couldnt really find an answer for my questions from other posts so would like to ask:
We have been living in the UK for just over 5 years now, wife is EEA national (Dual citizen (UK and Ireland) and Im non-EEA. She has had a permanent job for the last 3 years and I have been self-employed for 3 years now too. Both of us were actively looking for work for the 18 or so months prior to the 3 years... So:

1. Am I understanding the requirements of PR correctly that either my spouse or I have to had worked fulltime for 5 years, or would I still be able to apply for PR based on the above? Isnt actively seeking work a form of exercising treaty rights?

2. If I am not eligable yet, do I need to apply for another 5 year EEA residence card?

noajthan

Re: Non-EEA requirements for PR

Post by noajthan » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:10 am

johannf wrote:I couldnt really find an answer for my questions from other posts so would like to ask:
We have been living in the UK for just over 5 years now, wife is EEA national (Dual citizen (UK and Ireland) and Im non-EEA. She has had a permanent job for the last 3 years and I have been self-employed for 3 years now too. Both of us were actively looking for work for the 18 or so months prior to the 3 years... So:

1. Am I understanding the requirements of PR correctly that either my spouse or I have to had worked fulltime for 5 years, or would I still be able to apply for PR based on the above? Isnt actively seeking work a form of exercising treaty rights?

2. If I am not eligable yet, do I need to apply for another 5 year EEA residence card?
1) Your activity is immaterial (as long as legal).

It is your spouse/sponsor who has to do all the heavy lifting and exercise treaty rights continuously for 5 years as a qualified person.

Spouse can acquire PR in own right based on such activity.
You can only acquire PR based on spouse's activity.

Jobseeker is a form of qualified person but you will hit problems if over 6 months as a jobseeker.

See HO guidance on qualified persons here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _clean.pdf

2) RC is optional for a family member. But it maybe advisable to have one especially with all this wild talk of Brexit,
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.