ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Englis Language requirement for FLR(FP) Extension

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

larry1
Newly Registered

Englis Language requirement for FLR(FP) Extension

Post by larry1 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:35 am

Hello i would like a clarification on the subject for a friends flr(fp) extension.
His Situation: He has a child with his girlfriend in October 2013 while he was a student.They don't live together.
In february 2014,he applied as a parent of a british child (then form flr(O) ).It was granted under the 10yr parent route.But he didn't take any english test.
Now he is due for extension and he was going through the guidance note.He saw this:
23. ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT
If you are applying for an extension of leave on the basis of your family life as a parent of a child
in the UK, you need to show that they can speak and understand English. You can do this in the
following ways:
• You are a national of a specified English speaking country.
• You have passed an English language test in speaking and listening at level A1 of the
• Common European Framework of Reference or above, with a Home Office approved provider.
• You have an academic qualification recognised by UK NARIC as equivalent to the standard of
a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK. This must have been taught in English.
• You are exempt from this requirement if you are over 65, have a physical or mental condition
which prevents you from meeting this requirement or there are exceptional circumstances
which would prevent you from meeting it.
Guidance on how to meet the English language requirement can be found on our website:
http://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/sy ... h_lang.pdf

He has booked the Premium Service appointment for next month.My question is:

Does he need to take the English Language Test?

Thanks

Obie
Ireland

Re: Englis Language requirement for FLR(FP) Extension

Post by Obie » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:11 pm

It may be sensible for your friend to switch to FLR (FP) 5 years route, if he/she is working and passes the English language test.

This may fast tract ILR by 2 and half years. Rather that 2 more extension, your friend will only need 1.

But if going for FLR (FP) ten years, then English test is not required.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

larry1
Newly Registered

Re: Englis Language requirement for FLR(FP) Extension

Post by larry1 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:08 am

Obie wrote:It may be sensible for your friend to switch to FLR (FP) 5 years route, if he/she is working and passes the English language test.

This may fast tract ILR by 2 and half years. Rather that 2 more extension, your friend will only need 1.

But if going for FLR (FP) ten years, then English test is not required.
Thanks so much Obie for your reply.My friend is working but i think he will have to restart the count for the 5yr route.His previous 2 and half years won't be included i guess.He actually intends to apply for the long residence by 2021 cos he he has been here legally from 2011.So if he switches to the 5 years route now,the ILR will be 2021.
I think the only advantage of switching to the 5 years route now is if the long residence rule changes(which is not impossible).