ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

National Insurance Contributions and Part time work

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

britkiwi

National Insurance Contributions and Part time work

Post by britkiwi » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:57 pm

Hi

Can anyone help with the following?

I'm applying for Citizenship soon and have the following questions:

1. On the AN form it asks for evidence of National Insurance Contributions..I've worked full time up to August 2016 and will be working part time from now on- 24 hours a week, how does this work with showing evidence of NIC when I will possibly be under the threshold of earnings for NIC?

2. When I apply for citizenship will this affect my application?

Surely there will be people applying who have never worked such as dependants of family so they will have never paid NIC?

Is it worth mentioning in a cover letter that working part time means that I don't meet the NIC threshold because I have been working part time and therefore am not required to pay NIC?

Look forward to your answers !

noajthan

Re: National Insurance Contributions and Part time work

Post by noajthan » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:27 pm

1) P60 or taxcode letter or similar should reflect this status.

2) See #1
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Saga

Post by Saga » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:37 am

I don't think there is any NI threshold for naturalisation, only for ILR.

Correct me if I am wrong ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:10 am

Saga wrote:I don't think there is any NI threshold for naturalisation, only for ILR.

Why do think there is a NI threshold for ILR? There are many routes to ILR not only work visas. Some visa routes there isn't even a mandatory requirement to work.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

longhorn

Post by longhorn » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:27 am

Saga wrote:I don't think there is any NI threshold for naturalisation, only for ILR.

There's no NI threshold for ILR as well. Its income threshold not NI threshold you are talking about.

NI threshold is not really directly relevant to visas/citizenship. NI threshold is your income limit up to which you don't pay any NI. I think its currently around £155 a week so if you earn anything below £155 a week, you wont be paying any National Insurance Contribution.

longhorn

Post by longhorn » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:32 am

britkiwi wrote: 1. On the AN form it asks for evidence of National Insurance Contributions..I've worked full time up to August 2016 and will be working part time from now on- 24 hours a week, how does this work with showing evidence of NIC when I will possibly be under the threshold of earnings for NIC?

2. When I apply for citizenship will this affect my application?
My wife only worked part-time and was below NI threshold. When she applied for naturalisation, she wasn't even working. She didn't write any cover letter and only provided a letter from employer confirming the employment dates and that she was working part-time. Got approved within 3 months. A letter from your employer or a P60 should suffice in your case. In my view, there's no need to over complicate this.