ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registration certificate vs Permanent residence card in UK

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

garyho1314
Newly Registered

Registration certificate vs Permanent residence card in UK

Post by garyho1314 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:53 am

Hi

Thank you very much for reading my message. I am a Portuguese citizen who live in UK over 16 years. Having realised that to apply UK citizenship, I need to first apply for permanent residence card. I am a qualified person as been working in here over 5 years continuously.

When looked up the Gov uk website, I am confused, not sure which applications I should go for. I have learned something called registration certificate (EEA-QP). By reading the form, it is pretty similar to the application form of permanent residence card. Likewise, both application required £65 as application fee. Are the actually the same thing? My goal is to become a permanent resident first and then apply for a British passport the next year.

Once again thank you very much for you help

Gary

noajthan

Re: Registration certificate vs Permanent residence card in

Post by noajthan » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:37 pm

EEA (QP) is for a RC.

Apply for DCPR using EEA(PR).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

ptstream
Newly Registered

Post by ptstream » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:38 pm

you need to apply for a document certifying Permanent Residence (DCPR).

garyho1314
Newly Registered

Post by garyho1314 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:43 pm

Hi all

Thank you very much for your reply. I am much clear now.

Kind regards

Gary

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:20 pm

If the 5 year period making you eligible for PR started 6 years ago or earlier you may be able to apply for PR and naturalisation at the same time.

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:02 pm

manci wrote:If the 5 year period making you eligible for PR started 6 years ago or earlier you may be able to apply for PR and naturalisation at the same time.
Since you need the DCPR to apply for naturalisation that isn't possible. However if you submit evidence going 6 years back then you can apply for naturalisation as soon as you get the DCPR. (Preferably after checking via Subject Access Request what date Home Office have down for you attaining PR)

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:55 am

From the evidence presented the HO will work from the earliest “deemed to have PR” date. The OP can file simultaneously and explain in covering letters with each application that this is what he is doing. The nationality caseworker will see that a PR application has been made. European and nationality applications are handled by different work streams and each has its separate queue, so there could be a potential time saving.

ptstream
Newly Registered

Post by ptstream » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:13 am

I doubt anyone would attempt a naturalization application before getting a DCPR.

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:14 pm

manci wrote:From the evidence presented the HO will work from the earliest “deemed to have PR” date. The OP can file simultaneously and explain in covering letters with each application that this is what he is doing.
That's just complete balderdash. PR document is MANDATORY for naturalisation applications from people on the EEA route and has been since November 2015. You cannot apply for both at once & your dubious advice is putting people at risk of losing their citizenship fees.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:25 pm

Noetic wrote:
manci wrote:From the evidence presented the HO will work from the earliest “deemed to have PR” date. The OP can file simultaneously and explain in covering letters with each application that this is what he is doing.
That's just complete balderdash. PR document is MANDATORY for naturalisation applications from people on the EEA route and has been since November 2015. You cannot apply for both at once & your dubious advice is putting people at risk of losing their citizenship fees.
I believe at one member of this forum has actually done this and been successful.

ptstream
Newly Registered

Post by ptstream » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:42 pm

it's not impossible but considering the fee cost I wouldn't recommend that