ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Got my PR - UKVI tells me I need to wait one year?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

careta2000
Newly Registered

Got my PR - UKVI tells me I need to wait one year?

Post by careta2000 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:39 pm

Hi,

I've just received my PR, and it's dated August 2016.
I had submitted all the necessary documents, including a letter, explaining that I was looking to get my PR on the basis that I have been in the UK since August 2010. The documents covered the period between August 2010 and September 2015.

I've called UKVI today, and told me that the official position is that I need to wait one year after the date marked on the card. This doesn't make any sense, and goes against what I've been reading online (on unofficial sites though). The lady on the phone told me the only way to find out was to write a letter to the Home Office and ask.

Is this really true? And if I need to make sure and write that letter, to whom do I direct it, and to where I send it exactly?

Thanks!

aderitopessoa
Newly Registered

Re: Got my PR - UKVI tells me I need to wait one year?

Post by aderitopessoa » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:43 pm

careta2000 wrote:Hi,

I've just received my PR, and it's dated August 2016.
I had submitted all the necessary documents, including a letter, explaining that I was looking to get my PR on the basis that I have been in the UK since August 2010. The documents covered the period between August 2010 and September 2015.

I've called UKVI today, and told me that the official position is that I need to wait one year after the date marked on the card. This doesn't make any sense, and goes against what I've been reading online (on unofficial sites though). The lady on the phone told me the only way to find out was to write a letter to the Home Office and ask.

Is this really true? And if I need to make sure and write that letter, to whom do I direct it, and to where I send it exactly?

Thanks!
I got the same response from their help desk, they don't seem to be following their own guidance.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _0_EXT.pdf says the following: "...It is important to note that the date of issue on a PR or DCPR does not necessarily reflect the date that the PR was actually acquired. You must, therefore, check CID to see whether the date the PR was deemed to have been acquired has been recorded.".

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:45 pm

careta2000 wrote:I've called UKVI today, and told me that the official position is that I need to wait one year after the date marked on the card.
Experience on these forums suggest that the Home Office phone lines are not entirely trustworthy when it comes to their information.
careta2000 wrote:Is this really true?
You can apply any day after completing five continuous years of exercising treaty rights and thereby acquiring PR. The Home Office will cross-verify that date with that they have their database.
careta2000 wrote:And if I need to make sure and write that letter, to whom do I direct it, and to where I send it exactly
Apply for an SAR with the Home Office.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:42 am

careta2000 wrote:I've called UKVI today, and told me that the official position is that I need to wait one year after the date marked on the card.
This is exactly why you should not trust anything UKVI tells you on the phone. The advice they have given you is the direct opposite of what is actually correct.