ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

(Urgent) Tier 2 application approved, can I drop out of MSc?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

cynthiayip
Newly Registered

(Urgent) Tier 2 application approved, can I drop out of MSc?

Post by cynthiayip » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:16 am

My tier-2 in-country application (switch from tier-4) has been approved yesterday. I have yet received my BRP. I applied with my UK undergraduate qualification and I am currently doing a MSc. I've been wanting to drop out for a while but couldn't as I was waiting to receive my Tier 2.

The final submission date of my dissertation is the 8th of September. I didn't finish my dissertation. I was wondering if I don't submit my dissertation, and I do not receive my BRP before the 8th, will I get into trouble? Should I submit a half-finished dissertation just in case my tier 4 (if it's still valid) is curtailed? My course officially finished on the 1st of September. Thank you.

dragon098
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: (Urgent) Tier 2 application approved, can I drop out of

Post by dragon098 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:28 am

Hi cynthiayip,

You paid for MSc and your so close to graduating and on top of that you've got TIER 2 application approved, what else can go wrong. You should be happy. Try your best to submit your dissertation so that you can have both degree and tier 2.

And I am sure your BRP will arrive soon but don't give up just because you got approved. That's what I would do.

Regards,

cynthiayip
Newly Registered

Post by cynthiayip » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:46 am

Thanks for your reply dragon. Unfortunately Ive been planning on dropping out for a while now so I didn't exactly prepare for my dissertation. On top of that I failed three modules which I won't have time to study for the resits. If I were to submit my dissertation, it would be 10,000 words of copy and pasting just to make sure everything visa-wise would be ok. I don't want to do that as I don't want the marker to even waste time on reading my dissertation.

dragon098
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by dragon098 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:11 am

Hi Cynthiayip,

Did you get Tier 2(General) Visa approved if yes that would mean you already have a job.

So like you mentioned as long as they said your application approved I am sure you will receive BRP.

But be very cautious and hope others reply too on this thread with better insight.

Regards,

cynthiayip
Newly Registered

Post by cynthiayip » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:45 pm

My approval letter says my previous (tier 4) BRP has been retained and destroyed as it is no longer valid. Does that mean I am officially on a Tier 2 visa now and my Tier 4 visa is no longer valid?
One of my colleagues' application got approved on the 1st August but the issue date on her BRP is the 10th of August.

missiontier2
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: (Urgent) Tier 2 application approved, can I drop out of MSc?

Post by missiontier2 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:52 am

I really would like to know what happened with Cynthia. I am in the same situation. I am interviewing with sponsored companies and mailing out cover letters with updated CV later this week. I did a medical deferral of disseration and failed modules to 30/11/17 just to give me more time to wait until approval of tier 2. I already have a masters but i registered with a prestigious UK university for a second masters in a different subject. All roles applied for are related to my B.A. AND M.S. from New York University. I wanted to drop out since July but dont want to leave the country.

ctyang93
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ctyang93 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:21 pm

Hello how did you get a tier 2 when you did not finish the Masters Course? Can you apply with your undergraduate degree that you were awarded from your previous visa?

missiontier2
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by missiontier2 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:20 am

My B.A. and other Masters degree is from the United States. The first masters is from NYU.

I received a tier 4 for university of London. I wasn't doing well and did a deferral to give me more time to find permanent work. However, I am afraid by not completing the UK masters will cause an issue with switching over.

I have two interviews for tier 2 sponsorship with the NHS. Both roles are related to my B.A. and masters degree from the United States. However, I know it makes it easier for the sponsor if I am presently on tier 4(labour market test) but do I NEED to complete the course to officially be on tier 2???

I think There is just too much work to complete(2 resits and final projects) by 30th of November.

missiontier2
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by missiontier2 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:25 pm

UNIVERSITY IMMIGRATION ADVISORY told me I can switch to tier 2 without completing the masters UNLESS the employer specifically asks for certificates. However, They shouldnt because I didnt include it in the application.This degree doesnt apply to the role unless they HR wants proof I am enrolled.
When switching to tier 2, I will do a leave of absence for university which will let me complete the second masters degree without worrying about deadlines.

missiontier2
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by missiontier2 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:29 am

OK . I have the answer.

Yes, I need to complete the course before putting in a Tier 2 application. However, my employer can hold off on sponsorship certificate before my tier 4 expires(30th of January) which gives me three months to apply(before 30th of April). Giving me the deferral I need to receive letter of compeletion from Assessments.
I would still be able to start employment beforehand, I am able to work within the last 4 months of my tier 4 VISA. My original cos/cas? states my course ends on 29th of September regardless of if I choose to do a deferral to complete a dissertation or resit.

missiontier2
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by missiontier2 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:14 pm

missiontier2 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:29 am
OK . I have the answer.

Yes, I need to complete the course before putting in a Tier 2 application. However, my employer can hold off on sponsorship certificate before my tier 4 expires(30th of January) which gives me three months to apply(before 30th of April). Giving me the deferral I need to receive letter of compeletion from Assessments.
I would still be able to start employment beforehand, I am able to work within the last 4 months of my tier 4 VISA. My original cos/cas? states my course ends on 29th of September regardless of if I choose to do a deferral to complete a dissertation or resit.
role meets resident labour market test. I can apply without degree.